Mario Williams - Mr. Invisible - Explain it

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zero excuses or explanations can be had for a 100 million dollar man. he should be creating constant mayhem.sad.

another horrendous mistake by the buffalo bills.

wonder if the other owners were snickering when they heard about the deal.

I'm certainly not going to defend Mario Williams and his lack of impact on our defense. Especially with regard to rushing the passer. We all see how inept he's been out there.

But with regard to the run stats, I disagree with what Buscaglia is looking at. Over 200 of NE's 247 on the ground came between the tackles. With Williams lining up off the right shoulder of the end man, his first priority is to set the corner, keep containment, and turn the play into the pursuit. He did that pretty well. Unfortunately, our DTs were getting doubled all game and it was incumbent on our LB, whether it was "43 is the Mike" or "50 is the Mike" to get into that hole. Outside of a couple plays, they were not able to do that and the NE RBs were at the second level before contact was made. Sometimes deeper into the secondary.

I didn't see too many times where either MW or Anderson lost their primary outside containment.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I can agree with most of the thoughts on Mario's failure to get pressure but think back to the 1990s bills teams and did they blitz...yes they did...granted it was mostly a 3-4 and not a 4-3 like we have now. there just needs to be some surprise in the pressure there is no surprise where anyone is coming from ever its always the 4 same down lineman I mean how freaking hard is that to block when you have 5 offensive linemen and a RB a TE and whomever else in to help chip/block. we needed to put pressure on that pats team that has been good in this league for years. with no pressure any defense will loose against them because someone is going to get open if you give a good QB time.

we had a lead and it looked like we expected them to continue to play the same game in the second half. again watch the tape and you'll see that if we played press coverage and put a blitz in here and there it would have changed things. again we do have the players we just need to let them have fun and play. blitzing is fun and breads energy. sending your 4 down linemen each play is boring and wears them down more than the o-line at the end of games like this game. watch some of ali's fights they call it rope a dope...keep taking punches till your opponent is warn out then blast him.

The 4 guys on the D-line did the same moves the whole game. They did the adjust or alter their attack in any real way. No looping stunts, no filing the centr-guard gap and blitzing a LB thru the guard-tackle hole to get into Brady's face. How could Wannie sit in the press boox and think his guys were going to win a game where 2 journeymen RBS were getting 8 yards a crack? I noticed we played defense like we had no linebackers. No nickle Defense. Play your best front seven. Stop the run and force Brady to beat you with the pass. Can we cover Welker on the only 2 pass routes he can run? Frustrating day to watch bad, extremely bad defense.

In hindsight, this thread is even more amusing now than before:

http://forums.twobil...h-better-today/

I can't wait for the rationalization this time.

So when I got called ignorant for noticing the obvious (that Williams was NOT being double and triple teamed on every play) it was in error? Good to know.

great analysis and looked that way I think I saw him one time try a spin move just seemed to stand up and let the RT just guide him outside

I remember a review of Williams by a Houston sports writer when the Bills signed him that summed him up very well. It was posted on the board.

It said that he is basically a power player who is very strong vs the run, has a good bull pass rush and an OK speed move. He has no real counter, however. He tried to develop a spin move but doesn't have the footwork to do it. His best success in Houston was moving around and surprising the DL with his power. It said that he could drop down to DT and blow right through guards who weren't prepared for him.

This sounds a lot like the guy we're seeing now.

Edited by vincec

That actually sounds a little bit better than the guy we're seeing now.

sounds like the guy i really would like to see next weekend. DAVE? You gonna let Marios tell you where he is "comfortable " playing??

How about YOU tell him where is going to be comfortable ! How about That Dave?

sorry.

im okay now

Mr. Wannstadt Sir,

I would be very grateful if you would start moving your linemen around please.

and a corner blitz. if you dont mind

The Same things were said about Julius Peppers in his first year with the bears. On that D he should have been an all star. He had i think 9 sacks his first year with CHI. I expect Mario to do the same. I think eveyrone just needs to take a step back and let this play out a little longer. We are 4 games into his Bills carrer. Lets not crucify him yet.

Also having LB's who are worth a damn that had to be accounted for would help.

Saddest part is Houston is th eotp rated D in the league.

Looks like we go tou our high profile FA and we still ended up with a dud.

I still blame the loss to NE mostly on the D, and secondly on our inability to run the football.