Colin Kaepernick [get 'er dun!]

How often do you see rookie shut down corners? Comparing Gilmore to Claiborne isn't really fair considering Claiborne plays on a better (arguably) team with a competent defensive coordinator. One can argue that having George Edwards and now Wanny has set the development of our defensive rookies back.

Again, there's no way of knowing what Wanny is asking Dareus to do. Dareus has shown flashes of dominance and has been coached by some of the worst defensive coaches this league has seen.

When I say that he's far from a shutdown corner, it doesn't mean that I expect him to be one right away. It would be nice however if he was merely adequate, as that's what you would expect a Top 10 pick to be. So far he's been well below adequate. Excusing players' individual performance on bad coaching is a cop out. The first thing you look at is can the player win the individual battle and then you move to the scheme. In both Gilmore's and Dareus's cases, they've underwhelmed. Maybe they will improve, maybe not. But please stop praising them because of the potential, or should we revisit the threads from August when the defense was crowned as Top 10, people were predicting sack records, while Gilmore & Williams were touted as the best young CB tandem in the league?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to think GG is trolling us. His arguments are blanket statements. If not, he has a depressing disposition. The team has holes. WR #2, QB, OLB, CB #2. But to say the players we drafted suck is asinine. Troup was the biggest bust, and we never saw if he would have developed. We have some bad players starting still, but not on the D line. And #1 corner is not it either. Justin Rodgers covering Reggie Wayne is a problem.

I have been in the hold onto Fitz camp. Not because I think he is good, but because we had so many holes. Well I think this is the draft. Many of the gaps have been filled, but if were lucky, we can fill the rest this year. I think its time.

I'm starting to think GG is trolling us. His arguments are blanket statements. If not, he has a depressing disposition. The team has holes. WR #2, QB, OLB, CB #2. But to say the players we drafted suck is asinine. Troup was the biggest bust, and we never saw if he would have developed. We have some bad players starting still, but not on the D line. And #1 corner is not it either. Justin Rodgers covering Reggie Wayne is a problem.

I have been in the hold onto Fitz camp. Not because I think he is good, but because we had so many holes. Well I think this is the draft. Many of the gaps have been filled, but if were lucky, we can fill the rest this year. I think its time.

Yes, genius, I'm the troll in this discussion. Go pick up a dictionary.

you should see him over at the PPP.

oh wait do I need a link?

you should see him over at the PPP.

oh wait do I need a link?

Yes, they are fully welcome on PPP, where lack of reading comprehension is treated properly. Perhaps it's the reason you've taking a beating there.

To restate the point for the wannabe trolls, the Bills under Nix have drafted poorly, and as a testament to how badly the drafts have been on defense - the only two players who you can hang any hope of future stardom have not played up to the level of their draft positions. You expect the No 4 pick to dominate the DL. You expect a Top 10 CB to have decent one on one skill. They may get there, but they are certainly not there now. Is that simple enough for you?

49 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, 13 passes defended,

Yep, Gilmore is a "massive" liability in coverage. Look up Revis island's numbers. When compaired to Gilmore, Gilmore is doing more than fine.

Dictionary as in knowing the difference between "our" and "are," and where you can brush up on reading comprehension and word twisting that a massive limitation is not the same as a massive liability.

Keep digging on the minutiae, and missing the big picture, which is what I would expect from a Buddy Nix apologist.

Dictionary as in knowing the difference between "our" and "are," and where you can brush up on reading comprehension and word twisting that a massive limitation is not the same as a massive liability.

Keep digging on the minutiae, and missing the big picture, which is what I would expect from a Buddy Nix apologist.

you gave up on not making your point, and went after my grammer, huh? Well look through the rest of my posts. Plenty our errors. Whey stop (and start) at this one?

See. One right their. Fat fingered my phone. Lol.

and you still haven't supported anything youve griped about. Nothing. No argument based in reality, or fact. Just that YOU think they all suck...excuse me "non could start on any other team". So lay it on me. I feel like being trolled.

you gave up on not making your point, and went after my grammer, huh? Well look through the rest of my posts. Plenty our errors. Whey stop (and start) at this one?

See. One right their. Fat fingered my phone. Lol.

I gave up on making my point as it has the same effect of hitting my head against the wall. Throwing out tackling numbers is meaningless when the point is that Gilmore is still struggling in man coverage. It's good that he can recover to make the tackle and he does not shy away from contact. But there's a reason they don't want him in press coverage, have him play well off the WR and cheat over safety help. To me it means they're still not comfortable leaving him on his own. Downside to that it exposed Williams as being much worse than anyone thought. But that's a different topic.

The point, to repeat for the hard to comprehend is this line, which you chose to reinvent:

Gilmore - massive struggles on an island, but there's enough hope for improvement.

and you still haven't supported anything youve griped about. Nothing. No argument based in reality, or fact. Just that YOU think they all suck...excuse me "non could start on any other team". So lay it on me. I feel like being trolled.

OK, which one of Buddy Nix's defensive draftees, other than Dareus and Gilmore, would start on another NFL team?

Gilmore - massive struggles on an island, but there's enough hope for improvement.

I think you're overlooking the fact that there are almost no CBs in the league who have success in single coverage the majority of the time. That's called a shut down corner and there are only a few in the league. To expect a rookie to be one of those guys right off the bat is a bit much. So while I agree with your above statement I think the problem are your expectations from a rookie CB.

Personally I'm pretty happy with his play, particularly recently. I think he's made big strides since the beginning of the season and I'm excited to see the jump in his play between year's one and two.

As for Dareus, I'm on board with you. I'm incredibly disappointed in how he's played this season. That being said I've noticed a big jump in his play the past 2 games so let's hope that continues.

I gave up on making my point as it has the same effect of hitting my head against the wall. Throwing out tackling numbers is meaningless when the point is that Gilmore is still struggling in man coverage. It's good that he can recover to make the tackle and he does not shy away from contact. But there's a reason they don't want him in press coverage, have him play well off the WR and cheat over safety help. To me it means they're still not comfortable leaving him on his own. Downside to that it exposed Williams as being much worse than anyone thought. But that's a different topic.

The point, to repeat for the hard to comprehend is this line, which you chose to reinvent:

OK, which one of Buddy Nix's defensive draftees, other than Dareus and Gilmore, would start on another NFL team?

GG - I have to say, my friend, I am loving your posts of late, exposing the utter rose-colored stupidity that has permeated this board and fan base throughout this past decade of futility for this moribund, once-relevant franchise. Glad to see that you have seen the light. :rolleyes:

I think you're overlooking the fact that there are almost no CBs in the league who have success in single coverage the majority of the time. That's called a shut down corner and there are only a few in the league. To expect a rookie to be one of those guys right off the bat is a bit much. So while I agree with your above statement I think the problem are your expectations from a rookie CB.

Personally I'm pretty happy with his play, particularly recently. I think he's made big strides since the beginning of the season and I'm excited to see the jump in his play between year's one and two.

Oh, I'm not overlooking that at all, and agree that it's a lofty expectation for a rookie CB. But, he was also the 10th player selected, so you should expect a lot from that pick. He has been improving a bit, and that's why there's at least hope for him.

Forget QB, focus on the defense since you brought it up. Dareus - sophomore slump or another enigmatic big body? Don't know. Gilmore - massive struggles on an island, but there's enough hope for improvement. Other than that, his defensive draftees will be lucky to be on NFL rosters, let alone meaningfully contribute.

Which leads to the entire point about Nix, that despite his straight out of Hollywood football stereotype, his performance as GM has been putrid so far.

Its the defensive system he is playing in now that is the problem....the defense is not designed to the defense's strength.

Yes, they are fully welcome on PPP, where lack of reading comprehension is treated properly. Perhaps it's the reason you've taking a beating there.

To restate the point for the wannabe trolls, the Bills under Nix have drafted poorly, and as a testament to how badly the drafts have been on defense - the only two players who you can hang any hope of future stardom have not played up to the level of their draft positions. You expect the No 4 pick to dominate the DL. You expect a Top 10 CB to have decent one on one skill. They may get there, but they are certainly not there now. Is that simple enough for you?

Actually they didnt draft poorly.....

The drafted based on what they thought about going to.

Remember they had for a long time had a 4-3 defense. Had Gailey kept that defense and just focused on the offense the team would have gotten alot better. Instead he went to a 3-4 defense which meant they had to have the defense take a few steps back in needing to change all their defensive front 7. They picked the wrong 3-4 defensive coordinator for the job. 2 years later Gailey went after 2 yrs back to a 4-3 so now they have to rebuild the personnel to fit that. The problem area now is in LB.