How would you feel about the Bills in the AFC North?

PromoTheRobot

Geographically, PTR's suggestion makes sense and no doubt we would develop new rivalries.

But I have to agree with K-9, there's a lot of tradition in these old AFCE rivalries. In this case, for me, tradition trumps reasoned argument.

I feel like a lot of the intensity with Miami is gone. The Pats are sort-of rivals because they beat us so much. I think we'd have a crazy rivalry with Cleveland, and maybe the Steelers. The NFL would probably put the Steelers in RWS every December to ensure a sellout. Of course it would be all Pittsburgh fans.

PTR

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seeing how many Bills fans went to Cleveland, and how many Steeler fans came to RWS pre-season, I bet much more intense rivalries would develop if the Bills were in the AFC North. We could swap with the Ravens. They would fit great in the AFC East.

Comments?

PTR

If you want to be creative do this....

Cincinati goes to afc south

Indy goes to NFC north

Detroit goes to afc north

Buffalo goes to afc north

Baltimore goes to NFC east

Dallas goes to NFC south

Atlanta goes to afc east

Carolina goes to afc east

Miami goes to NFC south

Other options...

Dallas, Houston, new Orleans, st Louis( Minnesota goes west)

Tampa bay, Miami, Jacksonville, ny jets

Tennessee, Atlanta, Carolina, ny giants

Green bay, Chicago, Indy, cincinati

Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, buffalo

Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, new England

Seeing how many Bills fans went to Cleveland, and how many Steeler fans came to RWS pre-season, I bet much more intense rivalries would develop if the Bills were in the AFC North. We could swap with the Ravens. They would fit great in the AFC East.

Comments?

PTR

It seems logical but we have great rivalries with the fins and and now Pats and Jets are becoming more intense now that we are getting better.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

my first thought was more fights in the stands and parking lots.....as there would be many more fans from the visiting teams in attendance ( would need to double security).

my second thought was more attendance improves our chances of keeping the team in buffalo (best reason for it).

my third thought is that although you can make an arguement it's better for buffalo, it would be next to impossible to make it better for every other team, the elimination of current rivalries, the perceived competitive disadvantage to be put with a team(s) that is currently strong, more travel for some, therefore i doubt this goes very far (thinking of the recent NHL realignment talks). although your suggestion only involves switching the bills and ravens.....if i'm a ravens fan, i dont like the (ne, nyj, mia) alignment.

having said all that, i think total league wide realignment is a good idea, would benefit more teams than it would hurt and should be looked into. however, if after that plan, a team relocated, say jax to los angeles, it would mess things up again.

Terrible idea that die-hard fans everywhere love.

It would be another step on the road towards ending the 'regional rivalries' like Buffalo-Miami and Redskins-Cowboys. Fewer games would have any intense national appeal. We'd be stuck watching Jets-Giants, Eagles-Redskins, and 49ers-Raiders every week, or else a couple of currently good teams with no particular rivalry. I think in the long run the national slate would start to lose the more casual fans.

I don't know if I could handle seeing 25,000 Steeler fans invade Orchard Park on an annual basis. It would be nice though to have an organization(Cleveland) that is as big if not bigger joke then us in the division so we would not always have to finish in last place every year. We could alternate years.

Edited by Gordio

Swapping divisions with Baltimore would be great for Buffalo, hell it be great for all parties included really.

total realingnment looks like this IMO, geographically, it makes the most sense

NFC:

North: Minn, Chi, GB, Indy

South: Dal, NO Atl TB

West: Sea, SF, Ari, STl

East: NYG, PHI, wash Cinci

AFC:

North: Buf, Clev, Pitt, Det

South: Mia, JAx, Tenn, Hou

West:SD, Oak, KC Den

East: NE, NYJ, BAlt, Carolina

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dCdBtUXdQjE/Tbrjc338V1I/AAAAAAAAB2I/7J8L8xNlBFg/s1600/NFL_Map.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thetailgateknight.com/2011_04_01_archive.html&h=450&w=720&sz=36&tbnid=1tuvTcUg-OVFUM:&tbnh=76&tbnw=122&zoom=1&usg=__SvSB0ayHRKLlqXtI_nrEDM1Q7so=&docid=ubiTPPu-Kwr7MM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GKBlUMWmIYH68QT0zoHgCA&ved=0CCcQ9QEwAw&dur=796

Edited by CarolinaBill

I feel like a lot of the intensity with Miami is gone. The Pats are sort-of rivals because they beat us so much. I think we'd have a crazy rivalry with Cleveland, and maybe the Steelers. The NFL would probably put the Steelers in RWS every December to ensure a sellout. Of course it would be all Pittsburgh fans.

PTR

PTR, I don't necessarily disagree with any of your points but for sentimental reasons I just can't agree with your conclusion that realignment would be good for Buffalo.

There's just too much history with the Jets, Pats and Fins.

Comments?

PTR

Way back when, during the last re-alignment, I was very much in favor of a Bills, Steelers, Browns, Bengals Division...At that time Mr Wilson was vocal in his desire to keep the Bills traditional rivalries, especially with Miami...I did feel at the time, and still do now, that the thought process by The Bills Organization was short sighted...By this time, I'm sure some healthy rivalries could be surfacing that are equally as intense as The Bills and Fish now...That rivalry has lost a hell of a lot of steam to be honest...

I'm really not trying to rip on Ralph...But I'll always believe The Bills should be in the AFC North, and Baltimore should be in the AFC East...It made sense then, and it makes even more sense now...All the stuff about larger markets and warm weather matters not...This is the NFL...Money flows like water...Cleveland and Pittsburgh are both within a 3 hr or so drive...I actually think it would help The Bills and Browns Home attendance...Granted this is just my opinion...Anyway... B-)

Comments?

PTR

I have always been for it.

Something to keep in mind: We are closer to what would be our furthest away division rival in the North (Cincy - 6:15 drive time) then we are to our closest divisional rival in the East (You guys tell me, is it NY or Boston, but at the very least it is about 7 plus hours).

Just even the georgraphic proximity makes good sense, let along I believe that we are a more natural fit with those teams than the East.

Let Baltimore in the East and us in the North.

EDIT: One more item, and it is a little tangential: Bill Parcels has worked for every team in our division except us.

I don't state that as a desire to have Parcells come to Buffalo, then or now, but just as a quick example that we are competing with markets and cities in our division that we really have no chance against in the eye-ball test, unless you get that rarity like MW who loves the country.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Im not a big fan of tradition. I'm all for developing those basically backyard rivalries I would be 1000% behind a move to the AFC North. The Dolphins/Bills rivalry is dead. Bills fans seem to apathetic to consider NE a rival, and the Jets meh

Edited by CHOICE SCREEN

For the NYERS It's simple - 2 division game would be within 3 hours drive from Orchard Park the other 2 the Ravens and Bungles 6 to 7 hours - - which is bassically the same time to Jersey and Foxboro

For us in Virginia - Balt is 1 to 2 hour drive, Pitt it is 3 to 4 hour drive, Cleveland 5 to 6 hours, Cincinnati is an 8 hour drive and finally a 6 to 7 hour drive to Orchard Park.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Im not a big fan of tradition. I'm all for developing those basically backyard rivalries I would be 1000% behind a move to the AFC North. The Dolphins/Bills rivalry is dead. Bills fans seem to apathetic to consider NE a rival, and the Jets meh

The Pats rivalry is one-sided. Pats fans don't consider us a rival. They don't consider us an NFL team.

PTR