ESPN Week 4 Power Rankings

PromoTheRobot

Do you actually think we are a better team than the Pats?

To be honest I'd prefer to be ranked between 10 and 15 with a 2-1 record. The faithful feel the Putz will still win the SB.

I'm praying the Bills are good enough to repeat a home win against the Putz especially with the penalties they are now getting.

The NYETS lost Island boy (Revis) and are still high up there.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what? The Pats have a 10 year body of work behind them and were Super Bowl runners up 8 months ago. 3 games isn't a large enough body of work to say that's changed.

I didn't know it was a power ranking of the decade, just week 3 of the NFL season. By definition you can't look at the past seasons. Look at them now. Their only win is over a somewhat mediocre Titans squad.

PTR

Do you actually think we are a better team than the Pats?

There are only three areas in which the Pats* are perceived to be head and shoulders above the Bills...QB, TE, and HC. I'd take the Bills' roster over the Pats* in every other respect.

Granted, QB is the most important position in all of sports, but the point still stands.

Power Rankings aren't based solely on record. The Patriots could very well be 3-0 after losing close games to a Super Bowl contender in Balt. and a 3-0 team in Arizona.

Just shows you how close this start of the year really has been.

Interesting article in Grantland by Bill Barnwell regarding the Arizona Cardinals hot streak dating back to last season. I was thinking the Cards would be one of the easier games but they look pretty difficult. Barnwell contends their record, while legit, is going to ultimately come back into the pack because they've won every single close game they've been in. Some seriously good luck.

Edited by stony

The question is, if the Bills beat the Pats, are the Pats still above the Bills in the power rankings???

We've won just one road game in the past year, Pats are still way better at the skill positions. Where they suffer is (both) lines, their offensive and defensive lines are week.

There are only three areas in which the Pats* are perceived to be head and shoulders above the Bills...QB, TE, and HC. I'd take the Bills' roster over the Pats* in every other respect.

Granted, QB is the most important position in all of sports, but the point still stands.

Qb and coach...

those are kind of important positions, in most peoples books. (i know you mentioned qb, but coach is huge too)

Edited by NoSaint

If the Bills win it will be due to a KO type victory from the line play. Winning in the trenches is still a formula for consistent success, imo. By the way, Football Outsiders has them in the top 10 if you appreciate their approach to analysis. Here is the link:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

I'm not offended by the Pats being above the Bills... but I am surprised they are above some of the other teams.

If we beat the Pats this weekend, I expect the rankings to change, but I doubt we'll pull it off. Records don't really say much about the quality of a team this early in the season, imo. We played the Browns, they played the Ravens, for example.

Forget the Bills' position - how about this nonsense:

(1-2) Steelers 11 spots above the team they just lost to (1-2) Oakland.

(2-1) 49ers 17 spots above the also (2-1) Vikings who just beat them handily.

(2-1) Ravens 6 spots over the (2-1) Eagles they lost to.

(2-1) Giants 6 spots above (2-1) Cowboys, who beat the Giants convincingly on opening night.

(1-2) Redskins 3 spots over the also (1-2) Rams - who beat the 'Skins.

(1-2) Oakland 2 spots over the also (1-2) Dolphins who beat them.

Like the commentary from the idiot talking heads (usually former players) on NFLN and to a lesser extent, ESPN - these "Power Rankings" are nothing but outdated expectations from prior seasons mixed with a load of stupid hype,

What is extra stupid, is that it is perfectly possible to construct actual mathematical power rankings (RPI, etc.) as they do for college ball, but that would be too much "work" for the under educated fools who write for these "publications".

Here you go, Buffalo at #14

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=nfl

Actually, yes. I think the only areas they truly out-rank us are at QB and LBs. I'll give them the edge on TE, but with Hernandez out, Chandler levels the field a bit against Gronk.

If the Bills come out firing, and stick to a GOOD gameplan, we could really take it to these guys. First time in almost a decade Ive felt that way.

You give Gronk the edge over Chandler?

I give Foster the edge over Choice at RB.

A more valid questions is would you trade the entire bills organization for the patriots?

We've beaten two of the worst teams in the league and were dominated by a middle-of-the-pack team in our only true test. Based on week 1 and our 6-10 record last year (not to mention losing our 2 best offensive players), we are ranked right about where we should be.

I suspect this will be proven true when New England smacks us down once again on Sunday.

We? After reading this i'm hard press to believe you're a true fan. I have my doubts, but smacking us around I disagree. It will be a good game, but we will rise above the almighty kings of media..

A more valid questions is would you trade the entire bills organization for the patriots?

That's a question that only a year ago would have been a no-brainer. While some would argue it still is, I'd say the decision is actually one to think about at this juncture. Brady will only be around a few more years.

so?

Well, I'm a Bills fan, apologist, and homer. Still, probably have to go with the Pats* organization because ownership is stable, there's a proven commitment to winning, and they have arguably the best coach and QB in football.

If the Bills could get the stadium lease done and an ownership progression plan in place, I'd probably shift back to Buffalo. The way this team has been built from the inside out (i.e., the lines) is exciting, both now and for the future. Whaley is learning on the job from Nix, and I believe Gailey is underrated.

Does that include their prices? Would Bills fans buy the 2nd most expensive tickets in the NFL? Would they pay $60 to park? Would they put up with parking lot attendants herding you out of your spot if you are still parked 1 hour after the game ends?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Does that include their prices? Would Bills fans buy the 2nd most expensive tickets in the NFL? Would they pay $60 to park? Would they put up with parking lot attendants herding you out of your spot if you are still parked 1 hour after the game ends?

PTR

I was thinking more along the lines of front office, coaches and players.