A nickname for the disaster in Seattle?

poo

So you're a Seahawks fan...

No I could care less who won that game. I like the buffalo bills and no other team. I think that should have been a touchdown and was called correctly, this outrage at the fact makes me laugh. In my opinion the rules were correctly applied. Looking at it live I thoguth they both came down with it and it should have been called a touchdown, you can look at it frame by fram and say that you think jennings got "Control" of the vall first but tates left hand is on the ball the whole time. I think it is a touchdown, if you disagree so be it but the tuck rule was 1000% times worse than this and it wasnt this big of a deal.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While tonight's calls were bad, the regular refs make their fair share of bad calls. Just a few I can recall:

- Music city forward lateral

- The push out in the back of the EZ against the Jags in 2004- Plax mugging Leodis (I think it was) in the EZ and then pushing off to catch the game winner

- Ed Houchuli's famous Denver fumble fiasco

- Beebe landing on his head but not being down by contact and fumbling

- Bert Emanuel catches the ball for what should be a first down late in the 2000 NFC Championship game between Tampa Bay and St. Louis but it’s ruled that he doesn’t have full control when the ground causes the fumble.

Let's just not kid ourselves into thinking that getting the real refs back will mean the end of bad calls.

I don't think anyone feels that all the bad calls will go away.No one is "kidding themselves" (except maybe you). They are doing a bad job. What bothers me most is that they seem to be intimidated by the crowd. I am wondering how many more calls are going to the home teams. Those stats could be misleading too, because it's not just the number of calls, but what kind of effect the calls had on the games.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I don't think anyone feels that all the bad calls will go away.No one is "kidding themselves" (except maybe you). They are doing a bad job. What bothers me most is that they seem to be intimidated by the crowd. I am wondering how many more calls are going to the home teams. Those stats could be misleading too, because it's not just the number of calls, but what kind of effect the calls had on the games.

I think the refs have been pretty consistent in their calls, I dont think a lot of the PI calls have been correct but they have been consistent in calling them against each team.

How bout "JUST KNOCK IT DOWN"? It's a phrase that has been screamed at players by exasperated coaches from grade school level up, probably since the forward pass was legalized. It's a desperation Hail Mary, Green Bay has the lead, the interception that Jennings was going for would have been virtually meaningless given the time remaining in the game. The ball DID reach his hands first, if he simply bats it away or better yet down to the ground the game probably ends in a Green Bay victory and zero controversy.

EDIT: Just watched some more highlights of the game, what the hell happened to GB's OLine? They're gonna get Rodgers killed out there.

Edited by angryfan62

Well, the DB has control of the ball first, just because the WR has a hand in there does not mean he can claim to have control, he gets both hands on the ball and can claim control only after the DB already has control (which is the rule - simultaneous control the catch goes to the WR, non-suimultaneous control then whoever has control gains possession). Definitely a blown call.

Even disregarding the non-called PI push.

RAIDERS STEAL GAME FROM BILLS!!

Because according to this ruling, we should have LOST to Oakland last season! If y'all recall, the game wasn't officially decided until 10 minutes after the stadium emptied, while the tie-catch Haill Mary was reviewed. In our case, it was called int. on the field, which was what they likely decided couldn't be undisputed evidence to overrule.

That, or the review folks feared for their lives getting to the airport..

The race is to control, not possession - and it looked like Jennings got his hands on first by a mile. As long as he never lost it, he had first shot at possession.

i dont like this rule but a catch is not a catch until you have full possession and make a football move. we have seen that many times when a wr catches a ball and gets both feet down but doesnt hold onto the ball afterwards its not a catch. same thing applies to defenders trying to make a catch. granted jennings got to it first but he could not establish possession until he got to the ground. by the time jennings got to the ground where he could finally establish possession, tate had equal possession. thus when it counted the possession was tied and therefore goes to the offense

i have no preference who wins this game. i see it as the right call

So here was the moment of truth for me:

I had watched a bit of the game earlier, but then went to bed with the Mrs. and after taking care of my husbandly duties, turned the game back on. I fell asleep (duh) but woke up to see Pete Carroll looking happy on the sideline. The volume was super low so I couldn't hear what was being said, but then they went to a shot of Russell Wilson looking happy and I figured, "wow, the Seahawks won." Then they split to a highlight of "the play." I watched it and thought to myself, "well, I guess they called PI on Green Bay and Seattle scored on their 2nd chance (i.e., the "just give it to 'em" game) because that's clearly an interception." I was absolutely stunned when I realized what had happened.

Look, I've been watching football for at least 30 years (I'm 43) and did not have a second of doubt about that play. These refs have no NFL football instincts whatsoever.

Goodell should be ashamed of himself later this morning when he announces to the world that nothing is wrong and all is well in the NFL.

The big media issue lately is the fact that normally the preconceived good teams get the Wins. When Seattle and Arizona are on top and GB and NE are losing it makes the talking heads upset. Regular refs get just as much shyt for throwing games, the favorites just aren't the medias choice.

Hopefully we can take advantage of this.

RAIDERS STEAL GAME FROM BILLS!!

Because according to this ruling, we should have LOST to Oakland last season! If y'all recall, the game wasn't officially decided until 10 minutes after the stadium emptied, while the tie-catch Haill Mary was reviewed. In our case, it was called int. on the field, which was what they likely decided couldn't be undisputed evidence to overrule.

just watched the replay too and thats completely different bc the bills player had sole possession by the time they were on the ground and ripped it away from the raider player. in the mnf game last nite both players maintained possession after hitting the ground, thus the tie does go to the offense

just watched the replay too and thats completely different bc the bills player had sole possession by the time they were on the ground and ripped it away from the raider player. in the mnf game last nite both players maintained possession after hitting the ground, thus the tie does go to the offense

That's were I'm at with this call. Jennings may have made first contact with the ball but Tate had his hands on it coming down also. The play could have easily been called either way and the talking heads would have disagreed with the call but I think the refs got this one right.

That's your take, Meathead, but watch the Bills play again. Once on the ground (ie: play over) Bills DB wrestled the ball away and took off running. But the catch was equal to last nights dual possession and it took 15 minutes and an empty stadium for the ref to say 'just give it to 'em'.

How about ...

"it's not always about having a "franchise quarterback" apparently.. HUH, go figure."

But seriously all the people on this board who post "franchise quarterback" at least one per day need to wake up. Try "franchise defense"

but yeah the call sucked too. :)

Have to address the Beebe play ... Rules are clear, when any part of your body besides your feet or hand touch the ground after contact with an opponent (whether or not they caused the part of your body to touch the ground) you are ruled down by contact and there can be no fumble. Beebe was upended by an opponent and the first thing to hit the ground was his head which caused him to drop the ball. Correct call was no fumble.

While tonight's calls were bad, the regular refs make their fair share of bad calls. Just a few I can recall:

- Music city forward lateral

- The push out in the back of the EZ against the Jags in 2004- Plax mugging Leodis (I think it was) in the EZ and then pushing off to catch the game winner

- Ed Houchuli's famous Denver fumble fiasco

- Beebe landing on his head but not being down by contact and fumbling

- Bert Emanuel catches the ball for what should be a first down late in the 2000 NFC Championship game between Tampa Bay and St. Louis but it’s ruled that he doesn’t have full control when the ground causes the fumble.

Let's just not kid ourselves into thinking that getting the real refs back will mean the end of bad calls.

That's were I'm at with this call. Jennings may have made first contact with the ball but Tate had his hands on it coming down also. The play could have easily been called either way and the talking heads would have disagreed with the call but I think the refs got this one right.

I'm surprised no one posted this so I will.

Rule 8 - Section 3 - Article 1 - Item 5: Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control.

I don't care who won this game either, it has no effect on the Bills, but Jennings goes up and catches the ball while Tate has his arm in Jennings chest. As they fall to the ground, Tate doesn't even have his other arm in there until they hit the ground. By definition, that's NOT a simultaneous catch. So the refs missed two calls on the same play, the offensive PI (which most people feel the regular refs would choose to overlook at the end of a game too) AND the non simultaneous catch. Not to mention when two refs show up on the play, the first signals for the clock to stop for a change of possession, the second guy runs in and signals touchdown. They didn't even confer.

The WORST part was while they were getting the Packers back onto the field for the PAT, they were interviewing Carroll and he mentioned the NE -Buf "just give it to him" game which helped get replay started in the first place....when the Bills didn't come back onto the field and they ran for two....