Packers-Seahawks Live Game Thread

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looked like the official who called it a TD looked at the other official to make the call, saw him raise his hands up and thought he was going to confirm his call. Of course the other official was raising his hands to call it a touchback which left the one official with his hands up calling it a TD.

That's just what it looked like to me on the replay.

Jennings made a mistake though catching it in the first place. Should have batted it down. I think that's what they're coached to do in that situation to avoid something like this

You can't just flail at it though- if he just knocks wildly it can land in someone's arms still.

Going over the top and pulling it back wasn't the "wrong" call on Jennings part - he was right in his judgement that he can control it, cause he did. It might not be textbook but Jennings played it pretty well.

The ex ref on ESPN said on replay they can't decide who has possession, they can only tell whether it was in the endzone or not, like TakeYouToTasker said. That is just amazing to me on a TD like that.

He also said that a ref crew that disagrees on a call should settle it before making an official call. That clearly did NOT happen. The ref in the endzone who called it a touchback had a FAR better view than the schmuck who called it a TD.

BA

Edited by Bud Adams

I'm not sure they were disagreeing. If you see where they were when the catch actually happened, neither of them could see it. They both came over to the pile, and Tate was wrestling the ball away from Jennings, so the one called it a TD because at that moment it looked like dual possession. The other guy just waved his arms like to stop the clock, I don't at all think that action was meant to imply it was an INT.

He also said that a ref crew that disagrees on a call should settle it before making an official call. That clearly did NOT happen.

It seemed the general mechanics of the crew on that call were severely off. Even if someone had a clear view, they consult first.

The guy that raced in was way to urgent to make a call that from best I could tell wasn't his to make.

I'm not sure they were disagreeing. If you see where they were when the catch actually happened, neither of them could see it. They both came over to the pile, and Tate was wrestling the ball away from Jennings, so the one called it a TD because at that moment it looked like dual possession. The other guy just waved his arms like to stop the clock, I don't at all think that action was meant to imply it was an INT.

Have you ever seen an official stop the clock AND THEN call a TD? I've never seen it. Stopping the clock in that situation is a pre-curser to calling a touchback because of an INT.

It was a motion to stop the clock to call it a touchback (thus an interception). That's what the former NFL referee said. The real NFL variety.

ESPN guys just read the rule on simultaneous possession - it only occurs when both players gain possession at the same time. It is not simultaneous possession when a player gains control and another reaches in to obtain control of the ball. Under the league rules that was a INT.

Have you ever seen an official stop the clock AND THEN call a TD? I've never seen it. Stopping the clock in that situation is a pre-curser to calling a touchback because of an INT.

Sure, usually. Just watching that ref a bunch of times, to me, he wasn't really making a decision either way on possession. He didn't know what to do. It's impossible to know of course unless he comes out and says what he was thinking in public (and even then we may not know for sure).

Kinda funny… I predicted the Seahawks would win and I was right… but really I was wrong.

What should have been a good game turned into a dark moment in NFL history.

I agree . very ugly moment in NFL history---and to think they had the opportunity to overturn it.

You can't just flail at it though- if he just knocks wildly it can land in someone's arms still.

Going over the top and pulling it back wasn't the "wrong" call on Jennings part - he was right in his judgement that he can control it, cause he did. It might not be textbook but Jennings played it pretty well.

No obviously he didn't have sole possession, not from the refs view which is all that matters. Do I think it should have been called an INT? Yes I do. Am I 100% certain? No I'm not. A lot of micro timing is at place determining when either player is ruled down and who has possession .. defender, receiver or dual. Defense loses in 2 of the 3 rulings. With a lot of room for human error. That's why batting it down is what they're taught .... as soon as the ball hits the ground game over.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

ESPN guys just read the rule on simultaneous possession - it only occurs when both players gain possession at the same time. It is not simultaneous possession when a player gains control and another reaches in to obtain control of the ball. Under the league rules that was a INT.

Right. That is clearly an INT. But the refs didn't see it happen live, they really weren't in position to see it. They only ruled when both guys were already on the ground a second or two after it was already over. So that rule never really entered their equation, or the replay.

Sure, usually. Just watching that ref a bunch of times, to me, he wasn't really making a decision either way on possession. He didn't know what to do. It's impossible to know of course unless he comes out and says what he was thinking in public (and even then we may not know for sure).

I'll agree.

My take was be wanted to huddle up but had to blow the whistle, signal the play stoppage (clock stops either way) and seperate the pile first.

Guy #2 was over eager, and didn't handle the situation properly. He had no business making any signal on that play until consulted.

Edited by NoSaint

No obviously he didn't have sole possession, not from the refs view which is all that matters. Do I think it should have been called an INT? Yes I do. Am I 100% certain? No I'm not. A lot of micro timing is at place determining when either player is ruled down and who has possession .. defender, receiver or dual. Defense loses in 2 of the 3 rulings. That's why batting it down is what they're taught .... as soon as the ball hits the ground game over.

Twice last season balls were batted down right into the waiting arms of the offense on a hail Mary -- for touchdowns. That's not an exact science, especially given Jennings' trajectory on that play.

I'll be honest, I don't know why I'm so pissed about this. Maybe because in my gut I know it's a matter of time before it happens to us.

Maybe thats why I'm enjoying it. Watching the pats* or similar teams get the close calls or strange interpretations (tuck rule) has made me bitter. :D

As awful as the stripes have been for the second week in a row, I'm having a hard time getting on them about that particular call.

That's an absolutely brutal situation to put ANY official in, regardless of their ability or experience level.

OK, I just saw a couple replays.

They absolutely blew the call.

No. No they didn't. The possession on that play is unreviewable.

But don't they still have to establish somehow that Tate caught it? Ven if they can't give the pick? A Seahawks player has to have control at somepoint to complete the scoring play and I can't say Tate did (though after much wrestling who knows).

For the record:

- The back judge (#84) involved in the play is Derrick Rhone-Dunn. He is a former Big 12 official who was FIRED due to performance reasons. Interesting that the NFL thinks that a D-I official that flamed out is qualified to call an NFL game.

- The side judge (#26) involved in the play is Lance Easley. He is a junior college official from California - not even D-III NCAA. He ruled TD.

- Gerry Austin (the former referee in the ESPN booth) was 100% correct. The R should have gotten those two guys together to figure out what happened.

The madness must end.