Dead musicians you wish you could have seen play live

Just Jack

If you've heard him sing lately, you'd have your doubts.

hes never been able to sing haha, but your right, whoever said hes "still bringing it" in the thread is nuts...he never had the golden pipes, but today hes kind of awful to listen to - i prefer old recordings/records of the poet

as for the thread: Hendrix for sure, and the Grateful Dead with Jerry

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vladimir horowitz, thelonius monk, johnny cash,george harrison/john lennon, james brown.

A few that quickly came to mind...

Duke Ellington

Louis Armstrong

Otis Spann

Glenn Gould

Sergei Rachmaninoff

Dinu Lipatti

Jimi Hendrix

Duane Allman

cant beat that list..

hes never been able to sing haha, but your right, whoever said hes "still bringing it" in the thread is nuts...he never had the golden pipes, but today hes kind of awful to listen to - i prefer old recordings/records of the poet

as for the thread: Hendrix for sure, and the Grateful Dead with Jerry

Dylan's album that just came out got rave reviews.

Mozart - - I'm not all that big on his music, but from the period pieces I've seen at the movies, there would have been some real babes flaunting their assets at his concerts.

Apparently all castrati performances were replete with women and their assets too. Those cats were the Beatles of their time. All kinds of PIIHB happenings.

oh I agree, I am a fan of the new album....Bobbo can really write good music, good hooks and catchy melodies...and with the help of the studio, it can really clean up his voice...but what Bob has never been, and will never be (especially at this age) is a great singer...simple as that

i LOVE Robert Zimmerman

Luther Allison

Stevie Ray Vaughn

These 2 above all others! The rest of my list sadly reads like a who's who of classic rock (save for cobain)

Jimi Hendrix

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd (with waters/gilmour - not dead but very little chance i'll get to see it)

The Doors

Kurt Cobain

Original Lynard Skynard

It's a great album...but people who are still hung up "Dylan can't sing" won't appreciate it.

As for dead musicians I would have loved to been able to see:

Hank Williams Sr

Gram Parsons

Sam Cooke

John Lennon

Brian Jones era Stones

Thelonious Monk

Stan Getz

Jimi

Bob Marley

I have been lucky enough to have seen a lot of the greatest, but I am sure there are some I am missing...

oh I agree, I am a fan of the new album....Bobbo can really write good music, good hooks and catchy melodies...and with the help of the studio, it can really clean up his voice...but what Bob has never been, and will never be (especially at this age) is a great singer...simple as that

i LOVE Robert Zimmerman

It depends on what you mean by "great singer." I find him to be a brilliant singer by finding a voice that serves the song. He interprets the material beautifully, which I find more important than technical virtuosity. Grizzled troubadour with an operatic voice doesn't really make sense. He, like Johnny Cash, is aging into a voice by creating material that makes sense of his limitations. Personally, of his recent albums (I'd say Time Out Of Mind on features this "new" voice) at least 2--including the new one--are classics. I partially get why people are turned off by the new sound, it is a bit of an acquired taste, but I totally stand by my statement of "bringing it."

i LOVE Robert Zimmerman

Actually he is one of the greatest singers of all time. There is a difference between singing and singing voice. Whitney Houston may have had a all-time great singing voice, but she was not a great singer.