Have we had enough Brad Smith yet?

Russ 'Em

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the versatility that he brings to the roster, given the frequency of injuries in the NFL. I also like the installation of the wildcat, as the time available for defensive preparation and scheme development is limited, and by forcing our opponents to spend time on it, it takes away from time they would otherwise be spending on our base offense.

If you would instead like to argue that Smith is overpaid, I won't dispute that. He might be, but it's not my money, and we don't have cap issues.

Wasn't Garcon, Reggie Wayne, MAnningham, Brandon Lloyd, marques Colston and Vincent Jackson all available in the off season?

Yes. Lloyd went with his former coach. Garcon, Colston, and Jackson signed for big bucks, and Wayne re-upped with the Colts. Manningham went from one SB winner to a SB contender.

I woudl still make a play for Wayne in a trade especially if the Colts go 1-5 to start the season.

Can we change the thread title to " Have we had enough Ryan Fitzassmunch yet?"... Thats a better question overall...

Or change the thread to why is Kirk Morrison on the team? He was a healthy scratch for both games? Wouldn't a young LB who can play ST's be a better use of his roster spot?

Edited by Dadonkadonk

He only gets on the field for a handfull of plays. The kick return game is no longer an important part of the NFL. The wildcat seems to be just a diversion and not a real yard gainer. Smith at reciever in my mind is as good as Roosevelt. I know Chan likes his versatility, but come on. That money could be spent on another quality reciever or an actual back up quarterback option. If Brad Smith has to come in to play our qb position, the year is over. Thoughts?

I almost started a thread on this myself. I couldn't have made the point any better on getting rid of him. I do not see much value in him, especially with T-Jack on the roster now. He would make a better wildcat once he knows the playbook. I say get rid of him.

Yes. Lloyd went with his former coach. Garcon, Colston, and Jackson signed for big bucks, and Wayne re-upped with the Colts. Manningham went from one SB winner to a SB contender.

I woudl still make a play for Wayne in a trade especially if the Colts go 1-5 to start the season.

Or change the thread to why is Kirk Morrison on the team? He was a healthy scratch for both games? Wouldn't a young LB who can play ST's be a better use of his roster spot?

I think they want to get the young linebackers Bradham and White on the field as much as possible while keeping solid depth. Kinda cool how they are getting the youngsters on the field. We will go for WR next season in the draft AND watch the wire. you can bet on that.

I almost started a thread on this myself. I couldn't have made the point any better on getting rid of him. I do not see much value in him, especially with T-Jack on the roster now. He would make a better wildcat once he knows the playbook. I say get rid of him.

tjack is stilll wearing shorts on the sidelines and really didn't get involved last week. I don't think he has anything to offer for awhile or longer. He was not even paying attention when Ryan and Tyler were looking at snapshots. weird. Brad is fine. why do some of you hate on him so much?

Do you folks really think you have the insight on this? :bag:

Just messin but lets give this try for a season. We couldn't last year so what the heck!

I don't get why people assume that player X (VY, TJax, Freddy, etc...) would run the wildcat better than Smith. Granted it hasn't done much yet, but they showed it yesterday and now teams need to prepare for it a bit. I too would like to see Smith throw out of it at least once to keep the defense honest, but they may be setting that up for a key moment down the road.

And the whole use that money to sign a WR, LB, QB is so silly since A. The Bills are not up against the cap, and B. there are really not any players out there to improve the team.

He only gets on the field for a handfull of plays. The kick return game is no longer an important part of the NFL. The wildcat seems to be just a diversion and not a real yard gainer. Smith at reciever in my mind is as good as Roosevelt. I know Chan likes his versatility, but come on. That money could be spent on another quality reciever or an actual back up quarterback option. If Brad Smith has to come in to play our qb position, the year is over. Thoughts?

What is everyone's obsession with Brad Smith? Are you SO offended he makes $4 million? Do you think that would actually stop the Bills from picking up a WR if they wanted to? NO!

I don't get why people assume that player X (VY, TJax, Freddy, etc...) would run the wildcat better than Smith. Granted it hasn't done much yet, but they showed it yesterday and now teams need to prepare for it a bit. I too would like to see Smith throw out of it at least once to keep the defense honest, but they may be setting that up for a key moment down the road.

And the whole use that money to sign a WR, LB, QB is so silly since A. The Bills are not up against the cap, and B. there are really not any players out there to improve the team.

If my memory serves me right, the Bills were actually aggressively pursuing T-Jack during the off-season in which Seattle signed him. The story was he signed with Seattle because they would give him a chance to be the legit starter (which they did) as opposed to the Bills wanting to use him more as a backup/wildcat. This was the offseason that the Bills ended up signing Brad Smith after failing to get T-Jack. T-Jack has been a legit quarterback in this league for quite a few games which means he has reasonable ability to pass. This is not true of Brad Smith. His passing abilities are extremely suspect. Therefore, to your point about passing, T-Jack would be a much bigger threat; and not only a threat but could truly be effective with the occasional pass. I also like a bigger, stockier body in the wildcat than the skinny Smith. T-Jack fits the bill there more. Evidence of this could be the Bills seemed to prefer him over Smith for this role prior to him signing with Seattle.

One thing I will give Smith though is people do not know where he is going to line up when he goes to the huddle. This causes difficult personel matchups for the defense. Since Smith can be a serviceable WR, when he enters the game with Fitz in the huddle, the defense does not know whether it will be wildcat or if he will ineup as a wideout.

I am not calling for Smith's head like he has been horrible. I think he does offer some value. However, he has played 18 games in Buffalo and his impact has been minimal. We have 4 QBs on the 53 man roster if you count Smith. We are short on WRs on the 53 man roster even if you count Smith there too.

The Bills may be doing exactly what some people on this forum are calling for; getting T-Jack ready to takeover the wildcat role and be a legit 3rd string quarterback as well. It will just take time to get him up to speed on the offense. Only time will tell.

Edited by The Voice of Truth

Brad Smith is preventing us from re-signing Lee Evans you fool.

You are a devil for details. Evans. That's what we are missing. doh!

I have been thinking it was the equipment trainer bluster. Him using those rugby footballs in camp was the cause of our preseason and first game struggles and absolutely why Fitz still cant throw the ball consistently.

Lee Evans. You think we can get a 4th rounder from the jets and some cash for Smith so we can steal away Evans?

If my memory serves me right, the Bills were actually aggressively pursuing T-Jack during the off-season in which Seattle signed him. The story was he signed with Seattle because they would give him a chance to be the legit starter (which they did) as opposed to the Bills wanting to use him more as a backup/wildcat. This was the offseason that the Bills ended up signing Brad Smith after failing to get T-Jack. T-Jack has been a legit quarterback in this league for quite a few games which means he has reasonable ability to pass. This is not true of Brad Smith. Therefore, to your point about passing, T-Jack would be a much bigger threat; and not only a threat but could truly be effective with the occasional pass. I also like a bigger, stockier body in the wildcat than the skinny Smith. T-Jack fits the bill there more. Evidence of this could be the Bills seemed to prefer him over Smith for this role prior to him signing with Seattle.

One thing I will give Smith though is people do not know where he is going to line up when he goes to the huddle. This causes difficult personel matchups for the defense. Since Smith can be a serviceable WR, when he enters the game with Fitz in the huddle, the defense does not know whether it will be wildcat or if he will ineup as a wideout.

I am not calling for Smith's head like he has been horrible. I think he does offer some value. However, he has played 18 games in Buffalo and his impact has been minimal. We have 4 QBs on the 53 man roster if you count Smith. We are short on WRs on the 53 man roster even if you count Smith there too.

The Bills may be doing exactly what some people on this forum are calling for; getting T-Jack ready to takeover the wildcat role and be a legit 3rd string quarterback as well. It will just take time to get him up to speed on the offense. Only time will tell.

maybe i m off on this but isn't Tavaris' skill set as a pocket passer who can keep his cool? Thats all i read about him after we aquired him.