Have we had enough Brad Smith yet?

Russ 'Em

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad Smith Explains Failed Wildcat Throw Against Arizona

"We were expecting a certain look. We kind of got it a little bit, but it was a little bit different," Smith said. "The guy [Patrick Peterson] made a good play. If he didn’t fall off the outside receiver, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

We were expecting cover zero [man-to-man coverage, with no deep safety help], and I kind of lay it up over the top. The guy [Peterson] fell off the outside [receiver] and made a play on the ball."

More:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/10/brad-smith-explains-failed-wildcat-throw.html

Sounds like a quality answer from the guy. I have no problems with BS and the play he made there. I have a problem with the coaching. It shouldn't have been called in the first place for starters. It boggles my mind that at some point Chan or whoever called that play thought it was a good idea with a guy like Peterson back there. The guys is emerging into one of the premier defenders and somehow, somewhere, someone, thought it would be a good idea to try and trick the defense with that guy back there. A guy that everyone is taking notice of as always being around the ball. Why they passed it in the first place is beyond me. Why they thought thier 3rd string QB who's throw a total of 1 passes prior to that (which resulted in an int) was a good idea to pull that play off is absolutely mind boggling. A GOOD starting QB would have trouble reading this defensive play from the sounds of it. Why the coaching staff even thought they could pull it off is rediculous.

Sounds like a quality answer from the guy. I have no problems with BS and the play he made there. I have a problem with the coaching. It shouldn't have been called in the first place for starters. It boggles my mind that at some point Chan or whoever called that play thought it was a good idea with a guy like Peterson back there. The guys is emerging into one of the premier defenders and somehow, somewhere, someone, thought it would be a good idea to try and trick the defense with that guy back there. A guy that everyone is taking notice of as always being around the ball. Why they passed it in the first place is beyond me. Why they thought thier 3rd string QB who's throw a total of 1 passes prior to that (which resulted in an int) was a good idea to pull that play off is absolutely mind boggling. A GOOD starting QB would have trouble reading this defensive play from the sounds of it. Why the coaching staff even thought they could pull it off is rediculous.

I dont disagree with all that you said there, but most certainly disagree that PP is developing into one of the premiere defenders in the league...his return game is unbelievable , but his CB play is spotty at best, he admits it himself that he needs to get better at playing defense...hes a good person to take a shot like that against, just NOT at that moment in that game

SJ abused him allllll day long

I dont disagree with all that you said there, but most certainly disagree that PP is developing into one of the premiere defenders in the league...his return game is unbelievable , but his CB play is spotty at best, he admits it himself that he needs to get better at playing defense...hes a good person to take a shot like that against, just NOT at that moment in that game

SJ abused him allllll day long

FWIW, SJ abuses just about everyone, even Revis compared to others. So that doesn't tell me much. I get your point but disagree. PP regardless of his play at DB is becming a known player. He's one of those people you kik it away from because he is always subject to make a huge play. I'd dare say that he is more well known than CJ and yet when he touchs the ball he is probably considered just as dangerous. He's defenately somebody you want to keep the ball away from as much as possible. As I said before, even a GOOD QB would have trouble doing that, let alone our 3rd stringer that's thrown 1 pass in over a year and it resulted in a disaster. It's really not arguable.

Regardless, as mentioned before, Peterson made an elite-talent kind of play on that pick.

However the offensive execution was still flawed. The other Bills receiver shouldn't have been anywhere near Donald Jones. Had he broken off his route earlier, Peterson wouldn't have been able to make that play.