As good as the replacement refs were in Week 1

Simon

Last week the NFL made a point to clarify a couple rules,on of them being that if the defense has 12 men on the field and the snap is imminent, the play is to be blown dead. The offense doesn't get the opportunity to run a play and then take yards gained or the penalty. The refs got this wrong yesterday when Gilmore was stuck on the field and the chiefs gained 9 yards or so on a pass and then declined the 12 men on the field penatly.

Not a major factor in the end but still amazing that the NFL could emphasize this point last week and the refs still missed it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have actually thought the replacement refs have been significantly better than the regular refs in the past 2 weeks (I can't say the same around the league, as I have not watched every game). They ruled correctly on all of the close calls on the field. I agree the ball spots are not as tight, but there have been way less ticky-tack calls - the only one is the phantom pass interference - and I have seen way worse calls than that by the pros. They are basically letting the guys play football and also seem to be calling the games evenly on both sides (which the pro refs seem never to do).

Edited by Coach55

The people complaining about the replacements are the same who moan about the "real refs" every week. Little credibility here.

There is no pressure mounting on the league at all. Every week that goes by without the regular refs makes their position more and more desperate.

Goodell and the owners have gone Ronald Reagan on these guys.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Can somebody who watched the game on TV explain what happened on the play were a chiefs player (don't remember the name) was injured on a catch over the middle? There was no flag thrown for a penalty, but when we came back from the break they announced "oh yeah by the way there was an unnecessary roughness??

The people complaining about the replacements are the same who moan about the "real refs" every week. Little credibility here.

There is no pressure mounting on the league at all. Every week that goes by without the regular refs makes their position more and more desperate.

for the most part the idea of "missed calls" i dont think is DRASTICALLY worse than normal. regular refs blow calls too. a few more in the games ive seen but i dont know that its enough to say the NFL must get the regulars in today.

what i think the real issues are relate to consistency, pace and control. I dont think that they call the judgement calls the same play in and play out, and i dont think that they have shown they can make the right call quickly enough to have the games be watchable (especially when in the stadium). It also seems they are letting the players get closer to the edge of under control than the regulars do (regulars have issues with this too sometimes, but im seeing it a bit more this year). I think with the consistency and pace issues, respect is getting lost which ties to the third as well.

Edited by NoSaint

Week 2 was about teams seeing what they could get away with when the refs weren't looking. Turns out, you can get away with a lot! There were missed roughing calls all over the place, including plenty of those naughty helmet-to-helmet hits that angry up the Ginger Hammer's blood. There were numerous scuffles after the whistle was blown. And, of course, there were the Bucs defenders diving at the Giants' knees during their kneel-down to end Sunday's game. There's no reason to think that any of this will get better as the weeks go on.

When these refs started, most people worried that they would affect the outcome of a game, but that's clearly not the only concern now. The real problem is that these refs have virtually no authority on the field. Because what have they done to deserve it? In just one game yesterday, the Niners got whistled for two phantom secondary calls, one a pass-interference call against Chris Culliver that led directly to a Detroit field goal, the other a holding call on Carlos Rogers that resulted in a first down. Later on, Lions linebacker Stephen Tulloch mugged a 49ers receiver without anyone blowing a whistle. That's one game, and I didn't even touch on every sh1tty call involved. Steelers-Jets was even worse.

There's obviously no guarantee that regular refs would have gotten those calls right, but there at least would have been a sense among players and coaches that a standard was being enforced. Right now, that isn't true at all.

http://deadspin.com/5943791/the-scab-refs-still-suck-and-roger-goodell-is-still-a-hypocritical-shitstain

Agree 100%.

Under the circumstances, these refs are doing an outstanding job. Sure, there are some delays and some of the more esoteric rules get a little boggled, but there hasnt been one obvious game defining/changing screw up which is more than can be said for the regular refs. I like that they let the guys play, I love that they haven't gotten the league memo yet about which teams get favored calls. There is NO DOUBT in my mind that NE wins that game with the help of the refs if the regular refs are in.

The NFL has no pressure to get a deal done. Only hacks like Perreria (sp?) and crusaders like Florio seem to have an issue with the scabs. And oh yeah, any team that loses will have a problem with the refs that week.

RTB

Can somebody who watched the game on TV explain what happened on the play were a chiefs player (don't remember the name) was injured on a catch over the middle? There was no flag thrown for a penalty, but when we came back from the break they announced "oh yeah by the way there was an unnecessary roughness??

the claim was hit to the head however replay shows it was questionable. Both radio and TV guys were suprised about flag since no one was aware of the flag till well after player was being helped up.

Anybody catch the Rams/Redskins game? The officiating was absurd in the first half.

This is all the same stuff we heard after Sunday's when Ed Hochuli and the boys were running the show. The "normal refs", "replacement refs" has little to no impact on the NFL. Nothing has changed.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I said the same but joe six pack claims it wasn't a hold. I think regular refs let t go because it's pats I like the replacements however challenges ALWAYS seem to stay as ruled on field.

I'd type something witty in response to that, but I can't because I'm laughing too hard.

They're not nearly as bad as I thought they'd be. I'm happy for this.

BA

I actually like them better so far. These don't have a "God complex" like a lot of the regular refs that think they are bigger than the game itself. They try to impose themselves on the game. They try too hard to think that they matter. At the end of the day and like the replacements refs have proved, they don't in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Exactly right on all counts. This situation reminds me of the baseball umps (althought those guys actually resigned) in 1999 who thought that new umps would be a disaster and force MLB to give in to their demands. It didn't happen then and it's not going to happen now.

for the most part the idea of "missed calls" i dont think is DRASTICALLY worse than normal. regular refs blow calls too. a few more in the games ive seen but i dont know that its enough to say the NFL must get the regulars in today.

IMO it's not any worse than normal. People are complaining about missed holding calls and questionable PI calls. What a joke. I haven't seen an NFL game in 30 years that didn't include those things.