Chan and the running game

Pirate Angel

Chan Gailey preferring the run is news to me based on watching the last two seasons.

I was pleasantly surprised at A) the commitment to the run yesterday and B) Gailey switching things up a bit and not being so predictable.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're wrong. Everybody knows the reason the OL had good stats last year was because of the playcalling and Fitz's quick decisions. The running game worked because Chan spread the defenses out. We were not a mauling, in-your-face running team because we couldn't afford to be. The OL has developed considerably and what you saw yesterday was the implementation of an attack Chan favors. You and others point to last season's pass-run ratio as "evidence" of what Chan "wants" to do, rather than looking at his entire body of work and realizing he's not trying to bring back the chuck-n-duck.

Even when the running game is working, you can't be one-dimensional and keep pounding it. One, it wears down your backs, and two, defenses adjust. That's why you continue to see the spread and "questionable" playcalling, as you would put it.

You also change your playcalling based upon the game situation. Anybody think perhaps that 4 play 80 yard drive in the 3rd quarter, with two huge pass plays, was the result of KC cheating to stop the run?

Gailey coaches a team that has largely played from behind during his first two seasons -- that impacts playcalling as well. Too many fans take a very simplistic view and don't truly understand what factors lead to successful and unsuccessful plays.

I'll say it again -- Gailey is not a "pass-happy" playcaller and those who continue to assert he is just aren't getting it.

I just hope your right. Can't stress how painful it is to watch Fitz try his best Tom Brady impression.

Chan made a couple of interesting comments this morning:

"I'd rather control the clock and run the football"

Buffalo Bills@buffalobills

Gailey on if he marvels at CJ Spiller: "No, because I'm trying to figure out the next way to get him the ball"

Gailey used to coach the wishbone offense, prefers the run game to the pass game to control clock, etc. but prefers production over all.

I've NEVER heard anyone say that Gailey prefers to run over pass but maybe he knew they didn't have the horses in the trenches to run the ball they way he wanted. Now he's got five absolute maulers with two very capable backups. I'd LOVE to see the Bills adopt a Raven's style of game where you play great defense, play smashmouth and throw the ball where necessary. NOTHING will help the passing game better than a dominate running game. Play action passing could be amazing when both Fred and CJ are on the field.

With the way Fitz is playing coupled with the way Spiller is running, what option does he have but to be a run first, second and third offense?

With the way Fitz is playing coupled with the way Spiller is running, what option does he have but to be a run first, second and third offense?

We just need to hope that Chan doesn't try to go against what's working. If running Spiller is working and giving us wins, you do it until someone stops it.

We just need to hope that Chan doesn't try to go against what's working. If running Spiller is working and giving us wins, you do it until someone stops it.

I believe Gailey is smart enough, and has an ego small enough, to do just that.

The fact that yesterday was dominated by the ground game shows that to me.

He still has his brain farts ...like that reverse on the goal line. But I fully expect to see a run first offense until the D accounts for it, Which then opens up the short passes for Fitz. Who hopefully by then has his **** together.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Fitz does a great job with calling the right adjustments at the line but just can't pass worth a darn. If Fitz doesn't improve his passing, how long do we leave him in there? ....... After he looses us another game? ..... Another 2 games? ..... 3? When?

I guess we will just have to wait & see with Fitz.

I hope CJ has over 200 yards this week against Cleveland.

GO BILLS!!!

E, Come on man. I normally don't disagree with what you usually add in but this is rediculous. Chan is pass happy. It's been obvious over the past few years. Even yesterday he limited the runs in the 2nd half. Spiller had over 100 at half time and about 30 or so in the 2nd half. That says it all.

It says to me that he recognized that they have 1 running back who stole the show and have 14 more games to win. What does it say to you?

All I know is when you keep

A blocking FB who can also carry the ball for short yardage

An excellent blocking TE

Another TE who is a good middle field target and endzone threat

A H back with 4.4 speed

Then have guys like Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Urbick, Hairston

You should be pounding the ball untill they stop it......and getting 3 yards on a carry is not stopping it.

All I know is when you keep

A blocking FB who can also carry the ball for short yardage

An excellent blocking TE

Another TE who is a good middle field target and endzone threat

A H back with 4.4 speed

Then have guys like Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Urbick, Hairston

You should be pounding the ball untill they stop it......and getting 3 yards on a carry is not stopping it.

Actually I think Pears may be a better run blocker than Hairston but loving the earth movers up front. We seem to run out of spread better dont know if thats because forcing the safeties out or Fitz adjusting calls. whatever it seems to work right now lets hope it continues and Freddie gets back SOON

Chan made a couple of interesting comments this morning:

"I'd rather control the clock and run the football"

Gailey on if he marvels at CJ Spiller: "No, because I'm trying to figure out the next way to get him the ball"

Gailey used to coach the wishbone offense, prefers the run game to the pass game to control clock, etc. but prefers production over all.

I've NEVER heard anyone say that Gailey prefers to run over pass but maybe he knew they didn't have the horses in the trenches to run the ball they way he wanted. Now he's got five absolute maulers with two very capable backups. I'd LOVE to see the Bills adopt a Raven's style of game where you play great defense, play smashmouth and throw the ball where necessary. NOTHING will help the passing game better than a dominate running game. Play action passing could be amazing when both Fred and CJ are on the field.

Hope he sticks to it. He knew he had good backs since he got here but I think he thought Fitz was better than he is and is now realizing that we are better off running.

Anyone notice how the amount of WRs in formation seems inversely proportional to the chances of it being a successful play? I don't have stats to back this up, but it sure seems that way. Everytime I see a 5 wideout set I expect either an INT, an incompletion or best case: a nice run by Fitzy. When Chandler and/or McIntyre are out there, the chance of a positive play goes way up.

Anyone notice how the amount of WRs in formation seems inversely proportional to the chances of it being a successful play? I don't have stats to back this up, but it sure seems that way. Everytime I see a 5 wideout set I expect either an INT, an incompletion or best case: a nice run by Fitzy. When Chandler and/or McIntyre are out there, the chance of a positive play goes way up.

yep

It's simple. -we're a much better team when B!tch-patrick doesn't throw. This is the "A-ha" moment Gailey should have had eleven months ago.

Fitz threw some decent ones yesterday, but if we had to rely on his arm, there's no way we win that game.

Edited by #34fan

I would love to see him actually throw the ball out of the wildcat otherwise just do direct snaps to CJ or Choice or even a Fitz called draw play.

I agree, it is so predictable. And why is Brad Smith employed by the Bills? What does he bring to the team that they don't already have?

It says to me that he recognized that they have 1 running back who stole the show and have 14 more games to win. What does it say to you?

I already said what it says to me. Chan has been too pass heavy since he got here and it cost us a few games. Sure the pass won a few but I think they were a necessity at the time of bring Down like the Raiders game or Pats game last year. But there were too many times we could have and should have run and killed the clock and kept the other teams offense off the field as much as possible but didn't. Like the 2nd Pats game even when Stevie was benched, the Bengals game, Giants, 2nd Jets, Titans, one of the Miami games. I could go on to the year before as well but I don't really care. I have my opinion that Chan has been too pass happy and gimmicky at times. I really don't need to prove to anyone. Many here agree as it is. I find it odd that Chan stated he needed the "waterbug" type of back so much and then went out and got what he needed and has overwhelmingly underestimated his performance over the last year. When he came in for Freddy last year he would tear it up first half of games only to have 6 or so rushes in the 2nd half. Lose carries to Tashard Choice and not get the full amount of time he should have at the time. It's not like we were in passing situations on all of those either. Up 21 on the Pats, or close 1 score games for many others that I already stated. I just hope Chan realizes what he's got with Spiller and what he's got with our offensive line and what he doesn't have with Fitz, and stays true to running the ball. Fitz isn't the kind of QB that will win you games in a regular basis and CJ and Freddy have showed that they can carry the team with the help of the beef up front. Run the ball, kill the clock, crank out first downs and do it all until someone shows they can stop you. That's all I'm saying.

I already said what it says to me. Chan has been too pass heavy since he got here and it cost us a few games. Sure the pass won a few but I think they were a necessity at the time of bring Down like the Raiders game or Pats game last year. But there were too many times we could have and should have run and killed the clock and kept the other teams offense off the field as much as possible but didn't. Like the 2nd Pats game even when Stevie was benched, the Bengals game, Giants, 2nd Jets, Titans, one of the Miami games. I could go on to the year before as well but I don't really care. I have my opinion that Chan has been too pass happy and gimmicky at times. I really don't need to prove to anyone. Many here agree as it is. I find it odd that Chan stated he needed the "waterbug" type of back so much and then went out and got what he needed and has overwhelmingly underestimated his performance over the last year. When he came in for Freddy last year he would tear it up first half of games only to have 6 or so rushes in the 2nd half. Lose carries to Tashard Choice and not get the full amount of time he should have at the time. It's not like we were in passing situations on all of those either. Up 21 on the Pats, or close 1 score games for many others that I already stated. I just hope Chan realizes what he's got with Spiller and what he's got with our offensive line and what he doesn't have with Fitz, and stays true to running the ball. Fitz isn't the kind of QB that will win you games in a regular basis and CJ and Freddy have showed that they can carry the team with the help of the beef up front. Run the ball, kill the clock, crank out first downs and do it all until someone shows they can stop you. That's all I'm saying.

This can really work with a third back like Choice. Work the sidelines with Chandler/dickerson. -No balls in the air for more than 10/12 yards. -SJ13 may mind the resulting lack of meaningful stats.