This team is built to run the ball

cmjoyce113

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL is a passing league because it is a copy cat league, not because you can't win by running and controlling the clock. The Bills are much better suited to run to pass rather than passing to run. We have two franchise runners, a mobile QB who play actions well, physical wideouts who block, a TE who sits down in space well, and a mauling offensive line.

This is what I've been wondering since Sunday. Why can't you be a running team and win in the league now? If you have the ball and you score, what's the difference how you score? The other team can't score via the pass at the same time you have the ball.

This is what I've been wondering since Sunday. Why can't you be a running team and win in the league now? If you have the ball and you score, what's the difference how you score? The other team can't score via the pass at the same time you have the ball.

You can. As I said before the NFL is a passing league because it is a copycat league, not because running to pass stopped working.

You can. As I said before the NFL is a passing league because it is a copycat league, not because running to pass stopped working.

In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if we won't see a resurgence in the running game very soon. Things in the NFL are cyclical, and with passing percentages being high and defenses being geared around stopping the pass, I think it presents a real opportunity for teams to dominate with the running game.

I truly believe losing Fred Jackson's services for a while will cause Chan to pass MORE, not Less. It pains me to think about it, but I am pretty sure that will be Chan's plan. He seems to love the pass, even with a mediocre QB and mediocre WRs.

Good call. Bills vs. Chiefs -- 23 pass plays, 36 run plays.

When will you "Chan likes to pass too much" people learn? The man tries to utilize his team's strengths, and the Bills' OL seems finally equipped to control a game.

Maybe It's about chunks of yardage and not how you get there. Averaging 10 ypc, CJ is essentially executing a ball control passing game but bypassing the QB. The OL and CJ's speed are getting the ball to the LB/DB level with CJ in space, just the way a passing game would. We aren't running to set up the pass or vice versa. We are passing by running.

kj

Wow, thread resurrection! But indeed, we saw a very different gameplan this time around and I was thrilled.

I've been advocating for Spiller for two years now, so I am *thrilled* to see him coming into his own. And Jackson will be coming back in a few weeks, and he's better at power running so I think he'll balance them out. We have two fullbacks, good blocking tight ends and an O-line which has allowed *zero* sacks in two games, has the least number of QB hits, and helps a bevy of runners for 6.4 yards a carry on the ground.

I'm sure we've been over this to death, but two weeks in we lead the league in rushing yards, yards per attempt and have the leading rusher. And this has been against a stout Jets run defense and a (considered capable) Chiefs run defense.

I'm not worried about being a "run first" offense. You can definitely do it and make the playoffs, as that has been the Ravens and Jets trademark style for years and they have been fairly regular playoff fixtures. What I am worried about is the fact that you need a stout defense, which we don't have yet.

I'm not worried about being a "run first" offense. You can definitely do it and make the playoffs, as that has been the Ravens and Jets trademark style for years and they have been fairly regular playoff fixtures. What I am worried about is the fact that you need a stout defense, which we don't have yet.

Two of last year's playoff teams, Houston and San Fran are also primarily running teams and Seattle which is a cusp playoff team (they made it in 2010 and missed last year) is primarily a running team.

I think MRW is right. The pendulum is swinging ever so slightly back to the running game.

Two of last year's playoff teams, Houston and San Fran are also primarily running teams and Seattle which is a cusp playoff team (they made it in 2010 and missed last year) is primarily a running team.

I think MRW is right. The pendulum is swinging ever so slightly back to the running game.

the rules being what they are will always keep us skewed towards the pass more than "the good ol days" but it makes sense to cycle some still. when teams are investing more in their 4th corner than their 3rd linebacker, it makes sense that someone will try to counter that by targeting the 3rd linebacker. we are seeing that in running and with TEs. i think some of the normal cycle from wide open to smash mouth will be a more smash mouth passing game focused on TEs ala new england, or even with the 49ers and Vernon Davis. The passing rules are just so favorable.

my guess/interpretation of what we are seeing - Instead of getting back towards the 60% run and 40% pass that yesteryear sometimes had, youll see 50-50 as the peak but with more TEs in that 50% as "smashmouth" receivers.

Edited by NoSaint

It definitely has not swung yet. Two (or even three when you include an 8-8 Denver team) out of twelve is not much. Seattle was 7-9 when they made it. Several teams that have played in the SB recently have been dead last in rushing...

It's hard for Bills fans to believe because we haven't had a QB in so damn long, but for normal franchises it's no harder to find a good QB than it is to be stacked at virtually every other position, which is essentially what SF & Houston have done (not that Schaub isn't pretty good anyway).

That said I agree there is more than one way to win and the pendolum will swing back eventually. Those who believe otherwise are kinda like the guys who never thought real estate would stop skyrocketing. Until the Bills find a better QB, the contrarian way is probably the way to go.

Edited by BuffOrange

Built for it? Hell, I think the O-line is proving they live for it. They should keep doing it until someone can stop it.

I never met an OLman that didn't love run blocking, especially when it's going well. While passing offenses are harder to defend nothing takes the spirit out of a defense more certainly than running on it.

I got so frustrated with Gailey last season because it seemed like he had a poor handle on what the running game can do to the collective psyche of the defense. The Titans and Dolphin games come to mind. It was clear our OLine was establishing its dominance and CJ was getting into a groove and he would inexplicably stop that momentum. We went from imposing our will on the defense to backpedaling in pass protection. And nobody was more thankful than the defenders up front who were getting their asses handed to them.

GO BILLS!!!

This team is not built for the power run game, which you need to be a run first team. Spiller can't take too many carries. Jackson is out. Who are we left with? Choice?

The Bills run extremely efficiently--tops in the league two years running at yards per carry.

I think our current strategy is just fine. Fitz just needs to execute, as well as the D.

I love this topic.

Chan doesn't want to run the ball, and yet claims otherwise.

Fitz can't throw the ball, yet he and Chan push that agenda.

The team is much better running the ball. Period.

Look at the games Fitz has started where he throws over 30 times, and those he throws under 30 times: the results are shocking. IMO

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/8664/year/2011/ryan-fitzpatrick

Good call. Bills vs. Chiefs -- 23 pass plays, 36 run plays.

When will you "Chan likes to pass too much" people learn? The man tries to utilize his team's strengths, and the Bills' OL seems finally equipped to control a game.

I think its more a product of how the first 2 games went. First one we were down big and had to throw, second one we were up big and ran the clock.

Neither of these games are a good representation of our offensive balance.