We just lost a WR, so the Bills sign a RB???

PromoTheRobot

We aren't chock full of Quality WRs either.

PTR

Thats the problem, they have WRs, but the quality isn't as good as many would like.

They aren't "chock full of RBs either"

Seriously? What moves do you really want to see that are going to change the outlook for the Bills? The only guys available are spare parts. Exchanging your spare parts for someone else's isn't going to make any difference.

The guys on the team are the ones who are going to win or lose in 2012.

My point was, that people are saying about picking up White because "He knows the playbook" and thats what Chan wants more, yet tehy said after the last string of cuts that the roster would look alot different for game 1 when it didn't, it looked exactly the same as it did then. maybe they meant they were going to use a different font from that point on........

if someone elses Spare parts are better then your spare parts, then it may make a difference. But why say that the roster is going to look different by Game 1 when you don't sign anyone new?

Seriously? What moves do you really want to see that are going to change the outlook for the Bills? The only guys available are spare parts. Exchanging your spare parts for someone else's isn't going to make any difference.

The guys on the team are the ones who are going to win or lose in 2012.

At this point, as clihe as it may sound, bringing in somebody like Plaxico Burress, or, dare I say it, T.O. is the only addition they can make that might help them out this year. I just hate the feeling that one week into the season, we are already in desperation mode...I mean who would have thunk you could lose a WR and a RB in the same game? Who, I ask...who?

Edited by Buftex

With Fred injured, there were only 2 RB on the roster. I don't think anyone ever dresses just 2 RB in the NFL. We still have enough WRs and I think Brad Smith may be used more extensively there. He performed pretty well there last year and this year it's early enough where he could actually get good at the position. Lord knows he's better than Ruvell Martin. I wish we would have held on to Hagan instead of Martin. Don't worry PTR it's early in the season so there's plenty of time to resign Naman Roosevelt when aomone else goes in IR. Right now we have to have a RB

Technically both Dorin Dickerson and Brad Smith are supposedly able to play RB as well as WR, as they have in their past, as well as receiver, argument could be made that we have 2 more capable for emergency fill in there as well. But agree, is more vital to make sure have enough RB's if want to field a traditional set consistently, than be able to flood the field with capable receivers in most cases.

Not that would consider White a more capable back the Dickerson, but he has put more time into learning the position in the offseason so if just looking for a body to fill the position, guess better to get one that is familiar with the plays, than one capable of actually picking up yards.

Spiller played pretty well last year in as WR, also.

Nelson was our slot receiver. Yes he is tall and looked like a TE and is not your traditional Wes Welker style slot machine but that was his role in the offense.

I don't think you're going to put Brad Smith in the Slot or Marcus Easley. TJ Graham has also mostly been used outside as well and the Bills FO was adamant that he was not drafted as a slot receiver even though he is 6'0".

So I'm guessing the team is trying to figure out what the "F" to do this week.

They're probably trying a lot of different configurations in practice.

I've seen Da Jones run some inside routes last week as well.

Given that the outside route in this offense is actually less important (or has been) I wouldn't be suprised if Da Jones will run more of Nelson's routes this week and TJ Graham is outside.

The FO has always set the expectation that WRs are expected to play any and every one of the WR roles. That theory will get put to the test on Sunday.

The point being we options at WR on the roster and PS.

Rosie or Derek Hagan wouldn't actually add much more than what we got already.

When it comes to RBs adding some depth is probably more of a priority.

(I didn't read the BB.com article until now, Chris Brown says the same thing I posted :blush: )

Edited by Why So Serious?

The higher priority was RB with JAckson out.

Remember...Spiller can still play wide out while either Choice or White was in the game.

TJ Graham will be active for the game.

When Freddie comes back one of the RB will be cut and they will then pull a WR from their PS.

Technically both Dorin Dickerson and Brad Smith are supposedly able to play RB as well as WR, as they have in their past, as well as receiver, argument could be made that we have 2 more capable for emergency fill in there as well. But agree, is more vital to make sure have enough RB's if want to field a traditional set consistently, than be able to flood the field with capable receivers in most cases.

Not that would consider White a more capable back the Dickerson, but he has put more time into learning the position in the offseason so if just looking for a body to fill the position, guess better to get one that is familiar with the plays, than one capable of actually picking up yards.

Bingo on your identifying Dorin Dickerson as a guy who may come out of this seeing a lot more use in our"new" injury forced O.

Dickerson and Smith are two of the few Bills officially placed on the depth chart at other positions but were clearly destined for other use from what we saw of their use in pre-season and practices. It would not surprise me at all to see Dickerson with his 4.4 40 clock speed (amazing for his FB/TE size) lined up outside. Gailey requires all his WRs to knw each other's positions, my positions and it will not surprise me if the Nelson injury forces us to use Dickerson as a WR.

There is also an interesting quandary in that one of the thngs Gailey seemed to have liked to do in his past lives is get talented players the ball in space. I had thought last year we would see more use of Spiller as a WR than we did.

The RB situation is much lessened with the loss of Jackson so simply using Spiller as an RB would seem to be dictated but still we may see him shifting out to WR more.

I think everyone gets the numbers thing...but the Bills decision to go with 4 wideouts on Sunday didn't work out so well...and now they are going with 4 again, and one apparenlty is "not ready" for the NFL... they dressed Dorin Dickerson last week, and I am not even sure if he even stepped on the field..maybe he did, but he certainly wasn't noticeable. Unless they plan on using Dickerson as a receiver some (wouldn't last week have been ideal for that?), why have two fullbacks dressed? Just seems this would be the ideal time to not only accellerate TJ Grahams development, but Marcus Easley as well.

I don't think the number of wide receivers is an issue. It's the quality.