Potential Chicago-area teacher strike

Doc

six step solution:

1) suspend all union shop clauses in the city

2) begin the interview process for new teachers with independently offered contracts

3) begin sending out pink slips to all teachers systematically as their replacements are hired

4) allow them to reapply for their old jobs with the new contract system based on merit opposed to tenure

5) if the new teachers attept to unionize remind them exactly one time how they got their jobs

6) rinse and repeat

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, they are on strike. Yes unions donate to pols that might give them favorable treatment. Bankers, wallstreet power brokers, and a lot of others do the same thing.

But those guys never cry "think of the children"

Edited by Gary M

Why is the Godfather acting like a Republican?

It's just for show, he will wait a couple of days and give in, and claim "he did it for the children".

And the media will not talk about how they broke the bank and mortgaged the future.

Why is the Godfather acting like a Republican?

If someone was very, very cynical..............they would smell a "hometown" setup for Mr. Obama.

Teacher's union passes on a generous raise,

Impasse ensues.................and the little children suffer.

Mr. Obama rides in on his white horse and displays his "unifier" skills just before the election.

So, when I saw that Rahm’s teachers went on strike in spite of a 16% pay raise offer, my mind went places that logic would never take it, but modern day politics do.

Sounds a bit contrived, but who knows? Under Obama, we’ve gone to a lot of places where logic would never have taken us. . .

I don't think it would work anyway because the image of well-fed angry entitlement that the strike presents may do more harm than that scenario could redeem.

Edited by B-Man

six step solution:

1) suspend all union shop clauses in the city

2) begin the interview process for new teachers with independently offered contracts

3) begin sending out pink slips to all teachers systematically as their replacements are hired

4) allow them to reapply for their old jobs with the new contract system based on merit opposed to tenure

5) if the new teachers attept to unionize remind them exactly one time how they got their jobs

6) rinse and repeat

Chicago would burn to the ground before the union would let this happened. Rahm Emmanuel would be gutted like Mel Gibson at the end of Braveheart.

Know what I find most interesting? Rush Limbaugh calls a 30-year-old college student activist a "slut" or a white hispanic shoots a 17-year-old black kid in Florida, and Obama needs to weigh in. But teachers go on strike and 400,000 students are on the streets while gangbangers murder teenage kids every freaking weekend, and he's got nothing to say. You don't need to be a right-wing kook to realize how embarrassing that is.

If someone was very, very cynical..............they would smell a "hometown" setup for Mr. Obama.

Teacher's union passes on a generous raise,

Impasse ensues.................and the little children suffer.

Mr. Obama rides in on his white horse and displays his "unifier" skills just before the election.

So, when I saw that Rahm’s teachers went on strike in spite of a 16% pay raise offer, my mind went places that logic would never take it, but modern day politics do.

Sounds a bit contrived, but who knows? Under Obama, we’ve gone to a lot of places where logic would never have taken us. . .

I don't think it would work anyway because the image of well-fed angry entitlement that the strike presents may do more harm than that scenario could redeem.

If he were to step in know it would reek of BS! He should have stepped up and provided leadership before it even got to this point.

Money is a factor, annual increases for teachers in CPS are much smaller than the annual increases in many suburban districts. For example, a teacher with a master’s degree, 30 additional credit hours, and ten years of experience, can expect to earn $87,513 in Evanston this year; last year, in Oak Park, a teacher would have made $88,978. In Chicago this year, the same teacher will earn $75,711 — about $12,000 a year less than in districts to which he or she could walk or take public transportation from a home in Chicago. Over the course of a career, that difference amounts to over a quarter of a million dollars. This disparity should concern everyone, because it’s a primary reason why experienced teachers leave CPS to go to the suburbs — and why CPS has to train thousands of brand-new teachers every year.

But not the only factor. Not all schools but in many class sizes are often too large, not enough social workers, not enough counselors, not enough speech therapist's, no new language arts teachers to staff the longer school day, not enough computers, text books ordered and delivered late, not enough school nurses, ect.

If he were to step in know it would reek of BS! He should have stepped up and provided leadership before it even got to this point.

Actually, I don't believe that the President of the U.S. should intervene at all in a city's school union dispute with its school board.

I just thought that it (being Chicago) was suspect .

Money is a factor, annual increases for teachers in CPS are much smaller than the annual increases in many suburban districts. For example, a teacher with a master’s degree, 30 additional credit hours, and ten years of experience, can expect to earn $87,513 in Evanston this year; last year, in Oak Park, a teacher would have made $88,978. In Chicago this year, the same teacher will earn $75,711 — about $12,000 a year less than in districts to which he or she could walk or take public transportation from a home in Chicago. Over the course of a career, that difference amounts to over a quarter of a million dollars. This disparity should concern everyone, because it’s a primary reason why experienced teachers leave CPS to go to the suburbs — and why CPS has to train thousands of brand-new teachers every year.

Why should this disparity be a concern? Obviously areas with higher incomes will be willing to pay more for better credentialed teachers, and that's how it should be. If I'm paying more for a service I should expect a higher degree of quality from that service.

The reason Evanston pays better is precisely to attract more skilled and better credentialed educators away from other areas.

Are you suggesting that we should cap suburban educator's salaries at a limit urban areas can afford to pay in order to restrict teacher mobility?

But not the only factor. Not all schools but in many class sizes are often too large, not enough social workers, not enough counselors, not enough speech therapist's, no new language arts teachers to staff the longer school day, not enough computers, text books ordered and delivered late, not enough school nurses, ect.

This is what you get when the city and school system has been run by corrupt democrat politicians for decades.

For once I don't disagree with you.

Welcome to the reason many of us detest his presidency. He doesn't lead.

Well it's not his fault, he doesn't know how.

He is an affirmative action President. His skills and abilities were of less importance than his color.

Well it's not his fault, he doesn't know how.

He is an affirmative action President. His skills and abilities were of less importance than his color.

You REALLY think that President Obama is "President Obama" because he's black? THAT'S the reason?

The president of the Unites States should step into negotiations between a teachers union and a US city?

WTF?

No. I didn't say "agree".

I said "don't disagree." Because in an election year, given the campaign this president is running, and given his ridiculous favors to the UAW, it's inexplicable that he hasn't involved himself.

And it's even more surprising that he hasn't made a statement on it, given who the mayor of Chicago is and how cozy Obama is with the AFT.

Edited by DC Tom

The sound from Barry's camp has been defeaning silence. But Romney and Ryan have publicly stated that they're behind Rahm Emanuel.

Chicago would burn to the ground before the union would let this happened. Rahm Emmanuel would be gutted like Mel Gibson at the end of Braveheart.

Know what I find most interesting? Rush Limbaugh calls a 30-year-old college student activist a "slut" or a white hispanic shoots a 17-year-old black kid in Florida, and Obama needs to weigh in. But teachers go on strike and 400,000 students are on the streets while gangbangers murder teenage kids every freaking weekend, and he's got nothing to say. You don't need to be a right-wing kook to realize how embarrassing that is.

Meanwhile Romney and Ryan have publicly stated that they're behind Emanuel.