Potential Chicago-area teacher strike

Doc

This is where you are wrong. While a good amount of teachers may be worth their pay, there are many who couldn't successfully fill a position flipping burgers and their teachers union protects them allowing them to "teach" your offspring, and perpetuate t5he dumbness cycle you have been caught up in.

What percentage of teachers is the union protecting that couldn't be successful burger flippers? Also please provide a link. Thanks.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What percentage of teachers is the union protecting that couldn't be successful burger flippers? Also please provide a link. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that was just a metaphor for "can't teach".

But giving that one of the major sticking points in negotiations is measuring teacher performance and weakening tenure protection, it's almost certain that even the union recognizes they're protecting teachers who couldn't successfully fill a position flipping burgers.

Come on all you conservatives... Don't be envious of the union guy just trying to make a buck and support their family. Practice what you preach... Listen to Ms. Condoleezza Rice and what she said... Your problems are NOT caused by somebody doing better than you! How can you begrudge the rank and file... Lift them up past where you are at... More power to 'em...

The union is not the cause of people doing bad... Pull yourself up by the bootstraps... Don't get mad at somebody's success! 35k a year to start out as a teacher and 60k on average in this day and age is not a lot to ask for considering how important teachers are.

LOL......what nonsense.

You forgot one little word...................................public.

Yes conservatives do not begrudge another person's success, we prove it time and time again.

but when you are paid by taxpayers, there is an obligation to the best you can for the least you can....teachers unions do not follow that .

"pull YOURSELF up" and "union" in the same sentence............classic liberal confusion.

LOL......what nonsense.

You forgot one little word...................................public.

Yes conservatives do not begrudge another person's success, we prove it time and time again.

but when you are paid by taxpayers, there is an obligation to the best you can for the least you can....teachers unions do not follow that .

"pull YOURSELF up" and "union" in the same sentence............classic liberal confusion.

Wrong again. Strike one. Take another hack at it.

Stop being envious of the unions... Do as Ms. Rice wants people to do... Stop being jealous. You conservatives aren't doing bad because somebody else is doing well.

Conservative anti-union/anti-people hacks talk in metaphors... ROTFLMAO... :w00t: Good one!

But giving that one of the major sticking points in negotiations is measuring teacher performance and weakening tenure protection, it's almost certain that even the union recognizes they're protecting teachers who couldn't successfully fill a position flipping burgers.

Got it! I knew there were no facts to back that claim up. Its just a bunch of baloney used in negotiations when it comes to pay.

In regards to tenure, a teacher must teach at the same school for three consecutive years with satisfactory performance to be considered a teacher with tenure. See the teacher gained tenure because they were successful and you want everyone to believe they are not qualified to be burger flippers and its all the unions fault.

Edited by tomato can

Got it! I knew there were no facts to back that claim up. Its just a bunch of baloney used in negotiations when it comes to pay.

In regards to tenure, a teacher must teach at the same school for three consecutive years with satisfactory performance to be considered a teacher with tenure. See the teacher gained tenure because they were successful and you want everyone to believe they are not qualified to be burger flippers and its all the unions fault.

Satisfactory now equals successful. Good to know the bar is set so low. Edited by Oxrock

How long has a "C" grade been considered successful? NEWSFLASH: The bar has always been set where it is.

Never in my book. And what is with the "news flash", by the way? Edited by Oxrock

Why can't you lefties ever give a rational and coherent argument without resorting to some retarded strawman argument? Jesus Christ, there is room beneath yall's ridiculous, baseless assertion that teachers are the patron saints and martyrs of our time and them being absolutely worthless.

Tenure is a bull **** proposal. You're telling someone because they didn't !@#$ up too bad for 3 years they're now insulated? WTF? Why are teachers put up on this pedestal? Why are they exempt from the realities everyone else faces?

Exhiled:

Teachers start out in Chicago at 35k and end up at 60k, but average 70+k? Read the article. Now, in these economic times they want to receive a 30% raise? You guys would defend Jack The Ripper if he had tenure. I'd pull a Governer Walker with them and stick it up their non burger flippin asses.

Exhiled:

Teachers start out in Chicago at 35k and end up at 60k, but average 70+k? Read the article. Now, in these economic times they want to receive a 30% raise? You guys would defend Jack The Ripper if he had tenure. I'd pull a Governer Walker with them and stick it up their non burger flippin asses.

From what I gather teachers are exempt from rationality. For some unexplained reason they're all entitled to executive pay. The fact that the average per hr. wage of teachers is above the median for their level of education, the almost unparalleled job security, and long stretches of time off are not to be considered when pontificating over the plight of the American teacher.

Why can't you lefties ever give a rational and coherent argument without resorting to some retarded strawman argument? Jesus Christ, there is room beneath yall's ridiculous, baseless assertion that teachers are the patron saints and martyrs of our time and them being absolutely worthless.

Tenure is a bull **** proposal. You're telling someone because they didn't !@#$ up too bad for 3 years they're now insulated? WTF? Why are teachers put up on this pedestal? Why are they exempt from the realities everyone else faces?

Stop begrudging the teachers union for being good negotiators. They have been successful on behalf of the teachers who signify American Exceptionalism. The teachers earned their degrees through dedication and hard work and went on to become successful teachers! Shame on your for trying to tear them down, you should celebrate their success not vilify it!

Stop begrudging the teachers union for being good negotiators. They have been successful on behalf of the teachers who signify American Exceptionalism. The teachers earned their degrees through dedication and hard work and went on to become successful teachers! Shame on your for trying to tear them down, you should celebrate their success not vilify it!

This is so smarmy that it sounds like sarcasm.

Exhiled:

Why do you begrudge teachers? Call them burger flippers? "These economic times." Huh?

Teachers start out at 35... And eventually average 60k. I assume they "step out" to 60k... Why is that so bad? 60k is chump change considering they have to earn a degree and become accredited... Why are you calling them "burger flippers."

The problems with you conservatives is that you get amnesia... Just like the gov't jobs, why weren't you beating down the employment door during the boom times. You just want them to take a hit during good times and during bad times. Like I said: "anti-people hacks."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

First off, I don't live in Chicago so I don't really give a ****. Secondly, I have plenty of teachers in my family, so I'm well aware of what they do and don't earn. I'm all for teachers earning a decent wage and having reasonable job security. I'm just irritated by douche bags who want to paint teachers as this poor downtrodden group who have been nailed to the proverbial cross. And while some teachers are great and make a big difference in the lives of students, most are just regular people working a job, so let's stay in reality. And fwiw, your "shame on you" line makes you come off like a big pusssy.

This is so smarmy that it sounds like sarcasm.

You are just pissed because it is in Chicago, it becomes national attention. What he said is the truth... Why are you begrudging them for having the Mayor by the short hairs. They made concessions last time, factor that in... They gave up 4% last year and want 4% this year... What is wrong with that? Same thing with the Fed... I accept giving up my COLA for 5 years. Are you gonna get amnesia when those 5 years breeze by. Probably so.

Why are you so against a level playing field? This doesn't even concern you. Do you live in Illinois? Chicago? Why do you guys get so bent? Especially when like Quinn call your bluff?

Why do you begrudge teachers? Call them burger flippers? "These economic times." Huh?

Teachers start out at 35... And eventually average 60k. I assume they "step out" to 60k... Why is that so bad? 60k is chump change considering they have to earn a degree and become accredited... Why are you calling them "burger flippers."

The problems with you conservatives is that you get amnesia... Just like the gov't jobs, why weren't you beating down the employment door during the boom times. You just want them to take a hit during good times and during bad times. Like I said: "anti-people hacks."

Stop painting with you big broad bull **** brush. Conservatives are all for teachers doing well and being well compensated. We just have a problem with teachers being insulated and unaccountable. To follow liberal doctrine to its logical conclusion teachers would be paid exorbitant wages regardless of performance, and the students (who are supposed to be the focus here) would be left to suffer the consequences of the feel good liberal tampon policy.

Edited by Rob's House

You have me wrong. I'm not calling all of them capable of flipping burgers. Just some.

First off, I don't live in Chicago so I don't really give a ****. Secondly, I have plenty of teachers in my family, so I'm well aware of what they do and don't earn. I'm all for teachers earning a decent wage and having reasonable job security. I'm just irritated by douche bags who want to paint teachers as this poor downtrodden group who have been nailed to the proverbial cross. And while some teachers are great and make a big difference in the lives of students, most are just regular people working a job, so let's stay in reality. And fwiw, your "shame on you" line makes you come off like a big pusssy.

Believe me. Work as a teacher in Chicago. But then again, you know this... You probably have lots a family members that work in places like Chicago, DC or God knows whatever parental hell hole lies out there.

Stop villifying the success working as a UNION brings.

You have me wrong. I'm not calling all of them capable of flipping burgers. Just some.

And of course you can back this up with fact.

Maybe Tom was right... You cretins do talk in metaphors!