Replacement Refs Sucked Last Night

Okay...How much did you lose on the game?

Perhaps you need to read my post a little more carefully, since I specifically said they didn't affect the outcome of the game. No need to get upset just because you didn't notice the missed calls...

The head ref definitely had a weird look about him... eyes half closed like he was stoned or something.

Officiating crews all looking like they are cast members of the new Adams Family may take some getting used to but the calls/non-calls didn't seem abnormal to me.

Haha, yeah I kept getting weirded out every time he made a call. I know this is politically incorrect, but his face has a bit of a down syndrome look to it...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you need to read my post a little more carefully, since I specifically said they didn't affect the outcome of the game. No need to get upset just because you didn't notice the missed calls...

If they didn't effect the outcome of the game why is it such a big deal? I actually thought to myself wow these guys are doing pretty good last night. They missed in your estimation 3-5 calls? That happens every single game - the old axiom of there is holding on every play it's just whether or not the officials call it that makes it a penalty. Put me in the camp of if people didn't know they were replacement officials we wouldn't be having this conversation.

If they didn't effect the outcome of the game why is it such a big deal? I actually thought to myself wow these guys are doing pretty good last night. They missed in your estimation 3-5 calls? That happens every single game - the old axiom of there is holding on every play it's just whether or not the officials call it that makes it a penalty. Put me in the camp of if people didn't know they were replacement officials we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I never said it was a big deal. I also said they were the best officiating crew of the replacements.

I was merely pointing out that the OP was correct in saying that they missed a bunch of calls, particularly holding by the Cowboys O-line, and the blatant hold against Cruz in the endzone. And no, I would say that they certainly missed more than 5 calls. Yes the "regular" officials miss those call too sometimes, I don't dispute that.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

It was joke dude....Either way they weren't any worse or better than the union officials IMO.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000058836/article/replacement-refs-get-the-job-done-in-season-opener

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

that was close to the quality i expected when the discussions started a month ago - once they get used to the speed of the game, working a crew with all new people etc... i was hopeful they would do well. if there were any differences - they were near totally unnoticeable. if you hadnt been following the offseason, you wouldnt have said "wow who are these guys" (atleast any more than on a normal sunday).

they had me a bit worried towards the end of the preseason, but it looks like they did a good job last night. if that continues, i will not be an angry fan at all. thats still a big "if" but i was good with yesterdays game.

You can disagree. But they definitely missed a ton of holding calls, and called some penalties they shouldn't have. They looked better than most of the crews in the preseason, and didn't obviously affect the outcome of the game, I'll give you that.

They also called a phantom "clipping" (it was a borderline block in the back, not a personal foul) call on a kick return, which even had Michaels/Collinsworth scratching their heads. Kind of reminded me of the two "block in the backs" during the return called on KICKING teams in the preseason (something that in theory shouldn't be possible). Or the Bills first punt of the preseason, which was downed at the 6, but they somehow called a touchback...

As he said, this was the best crew. I'm sure we will see some pretty interesting officiating the rest of week one. Unlike the preseason, these games matter and mistakes won't be quite as "funny" any more.

You could throw flags on every play with the regular officials. Their job is not to call every single infraction, if they did games would last seven hours. There's holding on every snap in the NFL.

Their job is to make the game fair, enforce the blatant infractions and NOT IMPACT THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME. As long as they call if evenly, I'm fine with it.

yeah, i would expect they would put out the best crew they have for such a prominent game. i would expect worse in many of the others. also, many fans do no watch looking for such things and wait for the tv announcers to point everything out. if they don't, they'll never know. always dangerous. if you watched any Bills preseason games and relied and Tasker and the other guy to tell you what was going on, trust me... you didn't know squat. they said the wrong names of guys half the time.

so while last nite didn't seem that bad, i'm still worried... there were some ridiculous preseason screwups and i don;'t think they are going away. i'm fairly confident they will affect the outcomes a few games this weekend more than the old refs. hope it's not ours.

You can disagree. But they definitely missed a ton of holding calls, and called some penalties they shouldn't have. They looked better than most of the crews in the preseason, and didn't obviously affect the outcome of the game, I'll give you that.

They also called a phantom "clipping" (it was a borderline block in the back, not a personal foul) call on a kick return, which even had Michaels/Collinsworth scratching their heads. Kind of reminded me of the two "block in the backs" during the return called on KICKING teams in the preseason (something that in theory shouldn't be possible). Or the Bills first punt of the preseason, which was downed at the 6, but they somehow called a touchback...

As he said, this was the best crew. I'm sure we will see some pretty interesting officiating the rest of week one. Unlike the preseason, these games matter and mistakes won't be quite as "funny" any more.

That phantom clipping call was not phantom, he did, however slightly, push him in the back, and I have no doubt that the real officials would have called that too.

I really think that they did ok, didn't notice much difference between them and "real" officials, although I will reserve ultimate judgement pending future collective bodies

of work. It was a little scary when the announcers kept mentioning that the crew head was a middle school teacher and ref.but still thought that he and his crew did a

credible job. If I was the NFL, I would tell the announcers to tone it down a bit cause we are most likely gonna have to live with them for a while. possibly all season,

and they tend to incite.

That phantom clipping call was not phantom, he did, however slightly, push him in the back, and I have no doubt that the real officials would have called that too.

I really think that they did ok, didn't notice much difference between them and "real" officials, although I will reserve ultimate judgement pending future collective bodies

of work. It was a little scary when the announcers kept mentioning that the crew head was a middle school teacher and ref.but still thought that he and his crew did a

credible job. If I was the NFL, I would tell the announcers to tone it down a bit cause we are most likely gonna have to live with them for a while. possibly all season,

and they tend to incite.

You missed the point, that's not clipping (personal foul). It was a borderline block in the back.

In the grand scheme of things it was a meaningless mistake. That is one of those thing that you would not see the "regular" officials do though.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

If this crew was supposedly the best one they could put out there for the national stage, end the bloody lockout now!

There were more than a few instances of blatant holding and pass interference that were not called.

It worries me that our passing attack is based so much on timing with our receivers, but if the DBs know that they can get away with murder (which I'm sure Rob is telling Rex) our offense will be stymied. And our defense is based around a supposedly great 4-man pass rush, but the O-line can hold all day long and get maybe one penalty.

Just needed to vent, this lockout crap year after years is :censored: !

ummm, this happens in every game... either way, the less calls the better...

If nobody told you they were replacement refs you wouldn't have noticed. But because you knew they were, every missed call is magnified. They were fine.

Offensive picks - are you f'ing kidding me? When is that ever called? Maybe twice per year in the league all season.

Exactly.

so an extra 5 yards on a ticky tack call and they sucked? Like most people have said i wouldnt have know they were replacements if people hadnt kept talking about

Why do people keep getting so defensive about the officials, and infer things that were never said? I never said they sucked (in fact I said they were the best replacement crew, 2nd time I had to repeat that), I was simply pointing out what happened on that play.

This is part of what I said in that exact post

"In the grand scheme of things it was a meaningless mistake. That is one of those thing that you would not see the "regular" officials do though."

Edited by Turbosrrgood

All refs on all levels miss calls, make calls they shouldn't make, and everything in between. They are an accepted part of the game. However, there are couple things about the replacement refs I find concerning:

1.) If you make a call, make sure it's the right penalty in the first place. To confuse clipping with an illegal block in the back is not only amateurish it's more punitive to the penalized team. That's worse than a missed call or a ticky-tac call any day of the week.

2.) How can anyone take the league seriously when they say that they are going to be using the "best" of the replacement refs for the nationally televised games starting last night and through week one? Think about that for a minute. At the very least it suggests that the NFL admits that every other game will have less than the best.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

All refs on all levels miss calls, make calls they shouldn't make, and everything in between. They are an accepted part of the game. However, there are couple things about the replacement refs I find concerning:

1.) If you make a call, make sure it's the right penalty in the first place. To confuse clipping with an illegal block in the back is not only amateurish it's more punitive to the penalized team. That's worse than a missed call or a ticky-tac call any day of the week.

2.) How can anyone take the league seriously when they say that they are going to be using the "best" of the replacement refs for the nationally televised games starting last night and through week one? Think about that for a minute. At the very least it suggests that the NFL admits that every other game will have less than the best.

GO BILLS!!!

is that any different than any other opening week game? are the officials that are not in the superbowl also not "less than the best"

You missed the point, that's not clipping (personal foul). It was a borderline block in the back.

In the grand scheme of things it was a meaningless mistake. That is one of those thing that you would not see the "regular" officials do though.

you mean like "giving him the business" or messing up the overtime coin flip on thanksgiving, or the "just give it to them" debacle, or the hochuli mess.... regular officials make some pretty ridiculous "did that really just happen" mistakes too. ruling a block in the back a clip isnt that crazy. it happens.