McGee suffers setback

papazoid

in terms of McGee's cap number..$3.6M this year and $4.3M, with actual salary of $1.3m this year and $1.75M next year. So I think, and i am in no way sure..if they released him this Friday his cap number for the year would actually go up by $2.25M to $$5.8M for the year.Course, the $4.3 due to hit next year would be cleared. I think that is how it works...maybe JW can confirm.

I still say cut him, bring him back after game to avoid his salary be guaranteed.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not looking good for terrence making team....

The long road to recovery for Terrence McGeeicon-article-link.gif coming off patellar tendon surgery saw a bump in the road after practice Monday and it kept him off the practice field Tuesday. It will also keep him out of the preseason finale Thursday night in Detroit.

“Terrence had a setback yesterday,” said Gailey following Tuesday's practice. "His knee got a little weaker in practice yesterday so we’re sitting him and seeing where he goes looking into the future. He’s not going to play this week so we’ll have to see where that takes us.”

http://www.buffalobi...paign=BillsBuzz

I was really concerned about McGee keeping a roster spot this year, but after seeing our secondary this preseason I think his spot is in less jeopardy than originally thought, even after the set back. Ron Brooks has really been showing he could be starting at some point this year, Gilmore is clearly a starter but still going to go through ups and downs, and Williams has struggled despite being the more experienced of our young guys. And that is a lot of youth to depend on with no veteran leadership to help them. I think they will do everything they can to help him stay on this team, meaning they will give him time to come back from this. If he keeps having setbacks, I am sure they will have no choice but to cut him. But, they need him this season to help develop these young guys preferably and will hold out hope he heal fast enough to keep his roster spot.

Greer better than McGee??????? What are you smoking>

Nothing, I actually watched the two of them play, as opposed to simply looking at their draft status or salaries.

They don't publish their numbers for free anymore, but back when PFF used to do so, they had great analysis of CB play (targets, completion percentage allowed, etc.). It wasn't even close...his last year with Buffalo, Greer was in the top 3 in the league.

Now about the closest you can get to such things is Football Outsiders' analysis, which is a bit more subjective but still interesting:

http://www.footballo.../terrence-mcgee

http://footballoutsi...69/jabari-greer

But all stats aside, the biggest things that stick with me were that (1) teams rarely threw to Greer's side of the field, and regularly picked on McGee, and (2) Greer made far more plays on the football (and on the WR for that matter) than McGee.

As I said, I've always felt McGee was vastly over-rated. Great guy, great kick returner, so-so corner. Greer was the better player.

EDIT: I did find PFF's 3-year composite CB ratings article from back in 2010, which has Greer rated 9th in the NFL, so there's that:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/25/making-the-grade-cornerbacks-2008-2010/

Edited by thebandit27

McGee is not a good CB. I hesitate to believe he was a good CB three years ago. Why is he still on the roster? I thought Ashton Youboty was better; whom is now looking for a spot. but we do have some young guys on the roster that probably should get a chance for some action. I think McGee gets cut. He should get cut.

in terms of McGee's cap number..$3.6M this year and $4.3M, with actual salary of $1.3m this year and $1.75M next year. So I think, and i am in no way sure..if they released him this Friday his cap number for the year would actually go up by $2.25M to $$5.8M for the year.Course, the $4.3 due to hit next year would be cleared. I think that is how it works...maybe JW can confirm.

I still say cut him, bring him back after game to avoid his salary be guaranteed.

cap number might be correct, but it's greatly based on incentives after McGee restructured his contract in February. the only part of his salary that's guaranteed is the minimum, and i don't have the figures here right in front of me. everything else is bonus and incentive-based. so cutting Terrence wouldn't solve much

(many incentives are generally worked into the salary cap number so teams can't get around the rules by offering a minimum salary and then bulking up the back end with easily reached bonuses.)

not sure if that answers the questions, but i still think McGee makes the team for a 10th season, barring a major setback (and from what i'm told this wasn't) in his recovery.

jw

cap number might be correct, but it's greatly based on incentives after McGee restructured his contract in February. the only part of his salary that's guaranteed is the minimum, and i don't have the figures here right in front of me. everything else is bonus and incentive-based. so cutting Terrence wouldn't solve much

(many incentives are generally worked into the salary cap number so teams can't get around the rules by offering a minimum salary and then bulking up the back end with easily reached bonuses.)

not sure if that answers the questions, but i still think McGee makes the team for a 10th season, barring a major setback (and from what i'm told this wasn't) in his recovery.

jw

Thank you sir. I was thinking the cap might have been due to signing bonus from his original deal.

More important, sounds like he is going to be on the 53..thx again for the info

The angst toward Mcgee is ridiculous. Just because we have sucked for years is not his fault.

He got beat on that one play and recovered nicely last week. Afterwords he was in on run stops and still looked the Vet we need now. In position and playing football

Give him a chance to get healthy from this knee surgery. Geez.

If he cant recover, and that is not for us to judge i think, then we better get something decent off the waiver wire that has some time in the NFL.

Our kids will come around in time, Gilmore amd Brooks both, but we still need to get through this season.

I dearly hope Terrance can get that knee sorted out for us.

The money thing is silly talk. If his knee works he is the best corner we have

The angst toward Mcgee is ridiculous. Just because we have sucked for years is not his fault.

He got beat on that one play and recovered nicely last week. Afterwords he was in on run stops and still looked the Vet we need now. In position and playing football

If he cant recover, and that is not for us to judge i think, then we better get something decent off the waiver wire that has some time in the NFL.

Our kids will come around in time, Gilmore amd Brooks both, but we still need to get through this season.

Very good post. I also thought he rebounded well from getting beat last week. I'm not sure what everyone expected in his first action after his surgery but the fact he rebounded nicely, played good technique, and stuck his nose in there on the run, was a good veteran showing how it's done.

I'd keep him just for his leadership to a young group of CBs alone.

Just hoping this setback is indeed, minor. He can still be a huge asset to this club.

GO BILLS!!!

I think before the setback either Gailey or Nix said they expect McGee to be ready by Week 4.

This is crazy. So the Bills may keep 2 kickers, 4 QBs and a CB who will inactive until week 4? Seems like a lot of wasted roster spots to me.

Edited by vincec

Very good post. I also thought he rebounded well from getting beat last week. I'm not sure what everyone expected in his first action after his surgery but the fact he rebounded nicely, played good technique, and stuck his nose in there on the run, was a good veteran showing how it's done.

I'd keep him just for his leadership to a young group of CBs alone.

Just hoping this setback is indeed, minor. He can still be a huge asset to this club.

GO BILLS!!!

This is key.

I was very concerned about his state of mind during camp ota etc. he sounded down and out from all quotes. Spending his time on the bike watching from the sidelines. Must have sucked. i thought he gave up actually.

But when he finally got on the the field he showed that stuff he used to show. Right where he should be and never backs off the play.

I made a point to rwatch some of his plays including the "burn ". I am going to stay on the Hopeful side for now. I will always be on the respectful side.

Being a realist he may not come back. But am sure as hell not giving up on him. especially the talk about money wasted etc. He knows what he hs to do. Chan Buddy and Dave know. When they decide i will just have to agree.

But geez i sure would like him to help us bring along the kids for a year or two while showing some of how it's done.

Those who think he hasnt been all that did not watch him i guess. There is a reason he has survived 43 HC's 217 OC's and 14 GM's these ten or so years with us.

They all saw the man for what he is.

Now be polite and stop bashing the man.

Not you K of course

To all the people that think the Terrance badgers are crazy. I think it's much safer to say that your all crazy for actually thinking Terrance can not only get healthy but stay healthy for more than a few games a year. He's rediculously fragile at this point. He hasn't finished a season in over 3 years. It's over for him. Please stop wishing for health out of someone that has PROVEN the inability to stay healthy.

Sure, when he was healthy and 4 years younger he was good. That was 4+ years ago and many injuries ago. Other posters here are right. He was overrated as a corner and kept too long. He was given rediculous money for the time he actually spends in the field and he should have been the one let go and Greer (the younger, better CB) should have been kept instead. Of we had Greer right now we probably wouldn't have had to spend a draft pick on either Gilmore or Williams.

It's not angst or hate, and it's not ridiculous.

I never once blamed him for the team "sucking for years", in fact I said I liked the guy a lot.

Just because I like him does not mean I think he was ever worth the amount of money they paid him, and the fact that Greer was let go for 75-80% of the cost exacerbated the situation.

I hardly think that watching McGee get in on run stops against Pittsburgh's backups constitutes him being the player we need in our secondary. Also, the team has given him chance after chance to get healthy, how long does he need? 3 years is more than generous in my opinion.

Lastly, McGee hasn't been the best corner on the team in a very, very long time. I always wondered why people thought this, and I'm not simply trying to be belligerent; I've just never seen the great play in coverage that a bunch of others seem to have seen.

Again, I'm not trying to be combative, and I'm not hunting witches here. If McGee could play at a high level, I'd love for him to be on this team and do so. My opinion--regardless of how anyone has felt in the past--is that he cannot; it has nothing to do with money.