Live feed RNC

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For NB

The Eastwood Speech

It was an old man’s delivery, but overstatedly so for effect. It was a cutting delivery and for that reason delivered in low key. But for all of Clint Eastwood’s rhetorical cleverness at the Republican convention it derived its effectiveness precisely because it wasn’t one of those “I take this platform tonight with pen in hand, bearing in mind the immortal words of Clancy M. Duckworth” type orations. It wasn’t the speech of someone who was running for office.

Rather it might have come from Mr. Weller down at the corner office musing on simple things to not very important people. How it wasn’t good form to mess things up continuously. How one might lose faith in a man who made one broken promise too many. How at the end of the day everyone either did the job or quit out of decency. Even Presidents.

There was no malice in it. Just a tone of regret. But it was redolent of memory too. Of simple things a world away from the Mountaintop; of sentiments a light-year from dramatic arcs, and of ordinary happiness in a universe apart from grand bargains and high-flown rhetorical visions. They were truths that everyone who has ever worked knows but has somehow forgotten because it was so ordinary.

But they were never known to those who had never worked a real job in their lives. And that is the wonder. That they never knew them.

Thus the speech was at once us versus them; it was the check in the mail against the certainties of the heart. Every true challenge is built on the bricks of memory. And there were as many challenges in the Eastwood speech as the stones we stand on.

http://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2012/08/30/the-eastwood-speech/

I don't believe anyone really expects Romney to wow anyone with a speech. What those 5-10% of undecided voters that were tuning in were thinking is " do I think he's competent enough to get the job done?". And my guess is that there are quite a few independents that will be willing to take a chance on him.

In regards to Eastwood , I love the guy, looked old and semi confused at times and my guess is that the most vitriolic sleazy of the left will attack the man. Good luck in that being something that will play well with independents.

I don't believe anyone really expects Romney to wow anyone with a speech. What those 5-10% of undecided voters that were tuning in were thinking is " do I think he's competent enough to get the job done?". And my guess is that there are quite a few independents that will be willing to take a chance on him.

In regards to Eastwood , I love the guy, looked old and semi confused at times and my guess is that the most vitriolic sleazy of the left will attack the man. Good luck in that being something that will play well with independents.

It certainly wouldn't play well with seniors.

Hehe...look I'm not here to **** on the GOP finale I really don't like some of Mitt's policies and there some lines in there that touched on them but all in all I really don't think anyone will doubt it was his best yet. Would be surprised if he doesn't get a momentary lead in the polls even past margin of error for the first time but of course it's a long race...but it was a good night for Mitt.

That said...(once again don't want to reign down on this night for Repubs or you guys)...the Clint thing was something I watched. It was bizarre and weird and not good at all to me. I don't need some link to explain why it wasn't...I watched it. If it wasn't that bad to you fine...but I have a different opinion and even though you'll never believe I can be objective (and maybe you are right) it really just was terrible to me.

That said...everybody (people like me who hated it and people like you who liked it) will be better off if it's forgotten and the talk is on Mitt b/c Mitt probably spoke better tonight that he has before. Not amazing, but good for really the first time I've seen him be good. Obviously the content in many spots was not my cup of tea, but the speech itself was solid and his personal best.

Edited by TheNewBills

Hehe...look I'm not here to **** on the GOP finale I really don't like some of Mitt's policies and there some lines in there that touched on them but all in all I really don't think anyone will doubt it was his best yet. Would be surprised if he doesn't get a momentary lead in the polls even past margin of error for the first time but of course it's a long race...but it was a good night for Mitt.

That said...(once again don't want to reign down on this night for Repubs or you guys)...the Clint thing was something I watched. It was bizarre and weird and not good at all to me. I don't need some link to explain why it wasn't...I watched it. If it wasn't that bad to you fine...but I have a different opinion and even though you'll never believe I can be objective (and maybe you are right) it really just was terrible to me.

That said...everybody (people like me who hated it and people like you who liked it) will be better off if it's forgotten and the talk is on Mitt b/c Mitt probably spoke better tonight that he has before. Not amazing, but good for really the first time I've seen him be good. Obviously the content in many spots was not my cup of tea, but the speech itself was solid and his personal best.

I thought it was racist.

The most helpful part of the night for Romney wasn't Rubio or Rubio but those testimonials. It "humanized" him and showed a side of him that not many people were aware of. My guess is that he structurally improved his "likability" ratings

In general I think he was humanized a bit but honestly I doubt the testimonials will get much attention or got much attention live. Politically (once again solid night for Mitt himself) those testimonials should have come earlier in the campaign and (IMO once again) the Eastwood thing was a failure and will take some attention away from the positives tonight.

Anyway I'll stop posting negatives hehe not trying to start a fight on this grand night of GOP celebration. Tomorrow perhaps I'll comment on the content of Romney that I didn't like but for now I'll just say the delivery was his personal best. And honestly who are we kidding you all know the parts I hate anyway so it's not worth dwelling on.

I don't think those undecided voters will care whatsoever about eastwood. They may feel that he looked old, but people like him and will cut him some slack, except the hard core partisans of course. Again, my guess is that Romney structurally improved his likability ratings a little.

I was neither put off, nor impressed with Eastwood. I didn't tune in to hear from him eitherway.

Romney needed to do three things tonight:

1. explain WHO he is, in his own words to those who only know what the media tells us about him

2. what his general vision is and how that differs from the current adminstration

3. unite HIS base and give them the confidence to believe they can win the election. In essence, to become the face of the GOP

I though he did all three fairly well. I think he came off very well talking about his family, children, his parents. I think it was smart that constantly mentioned how great America is, and that we all have the opportunity no one else in the world has. He addressed some issues (for good or ill) that people, especially our friends on the left, have about him: namely, where does he stand on Iran?

I thought he was very positive about many things, and I like that he had a positive tone on immigration. And I do not believe he was overly critical (without merit) of the President. I did not find him to be petty or condescending. There were some things that didn't resonate with me, such as the religious aspects, but again, that is part of uniting his base. However, unlike MSNBC, I did not find his speech to be overly "sabre rattling" in tone. Honestly, I WANT the President to have the attitude that America is tops and we can kick some ass if needed. I did not take away that we are "going to attack Iran" or that we are building our armies to be a world conqueror. He did say that he wanted the military to be one that "no one would dare threaten". I am not sure how you can disagree with that sentiment.

Overall, I think he did what he needed to do. Now I have to hear more specifics about what he will do about this proposed 12 million jobs. Time for some substance Mittens, what is your plan for health insurance reform (Christ, I HATE the term "healthcare" reform)?

Edited by TheMadCap

Overall, I think he did what he needed to do. Now I have to hear more specifics about what he will do about this proposed 12 million jobs. Time for some substance Mittens, what is your plan for health insurance reform (Christ, I HATE the term "healthcare" reform)?

Not very many specifics on anything the entire convention but that's to be expected and would but dumb as **** to have done plain and simple. That's not what it was for and really not the point of these things in general.. Solid event for the crowd. That's what it should be and for this crowd it was.

Edited by TheNewBills

Not very many specifics on anything the entire convention but that's to be expected and would but dumb as **** to have done plain and simple. That's not what it was for and really not the point of these things in general.. Solid event for the crowd. That's what it should be and for this crowd it was.

Yes, that is what I mean exactly. I did not at ALL expect him to get into specifics. Tonight was not the time nor place. But that time starts tomorrow I think.

In general I think he was humanized a bit but honestly I doubt the testimonials will get much attention or got much attention live.

You're a die-hard progressive trying to sound open to other things because you know the louder you yell about how much you disagreed with everything that happened, the more obvious it is that everything was successful.

A man who has accomplished nothing on his own without the intervention of judges opening divorce docs is meeting a self-made man who eliminates barriers and solves problems aggressively. I'm getting the sense this won't even be close come November.

You're a die-hard progressive trying to sound open to other things because you know the louder you yell about how much you disagreed with everything that happened, the more obvious it is that everything was successful.

A man who has accomplished nothing on his own without the intervention of judges opening divorce docs is meeting a self-made man who eliminates barriers and solves problems aggressively. I'm getting the sense this won't even be close come November.

Oh, come on. He's actually being open minded and honest and trying to have a reasonable discussion. Do you know how many liberals we have on this board that can do that?

One. Him.

Don't beat him up for it. That's what we have PastaJoe and Daffy Duck for.

Didnt watch the RNC tonight but heard a lot of yapping from CNN how horrible and awkward Eastwood was. Watched replay and it seemed good to me. It was refreshing that it wasnt scripted, unlike all the other canned crap served up. And the guy's 82, geez cut him some slack. He was certainly a lot more genuine and even more coherent than the headliners.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Mitt Romney's Twitter:

"That America, that united America, will uphold the constellation of rights that were endowed by our Creator, and codified in our Constitution."

#upyours

@ThomasJefferson @GeorgeBigUpsWashington @James'BurningDownTheHouseMadison

This is the first convention where there were more minorities on the stage than in the audience.

The Race Card. A Progressives final stand

Stay classy douchebag :thumbdown:

Funny..Mitt doubling down on his "a president should have business experience", while his career-politician running-mate gazes in awe.

So Obama has business experience and Biden isn't a career politician (bringing change to DC since the 70s)?

Ah, American political discourse. Where a man reaching across the aisle to shake hands immediately has it slapped away.