If you could only keep Byrd or Levitre who would pick and why?

NoName

Let's say you are Buddy Nix and you only have the option to keep Byrd or Levitre. Which one would you keep and why?

I regard Levitre as a slightly higher rated guard than I would rate Byrd as a safety. I regard Levitre as being able to play all offensive line spots whereas Byrd only FS not SS. I think that if we lost Byrd, lining Wilson at FS and Searcy at SS would be more effective than plugging in Rienhart at LG if we lost Levitre.

So needless to say, my vote would be for Levitre. What about you?

Levitre without hesitation.

I spent 4 years watching Jauron obsessing over the secondary.

It took Nix 3 years to rebuild the lines because of that stupidity.

It all begins in the trenches.

Tough call . I like Byrd a lot but I have to go with the O-Line

This. It would take Byrd having a HUGE year to make me change my mind (and even then it would be tough). But I think you have to keep your OLinemen. Especially with the way our OL was brought together as a unit. Keep that nucleus of Wood/Levitre/Urbik (and to a lesser extent Rhinehart), and keep adding pieces and depth like Hairston, Pears, and Glenn.

I think it's easier to draft DB talent than it is OL.

I'd generally say the OL is more important however, here's a few things to note:

1. I think Byrd might be one, if not the best Safety in the league. We will all find out this year but he has the ability to be dominant. I just saw a stat the other day that pointed out that Byrd is 2nd in the AFC in the last 3 years with 13 ints. Only behind Ed Reed with 14. That's damn good considering Reed is HOF material.

2. I think Levitre is one of the best 10 guards in the league, however, the line is made up of 5 guys. If you have a good C and a good LT, it's easy for your LG to be equally as good. On the other hand if your LG is very good, it helps both of those positions to succeed.

In the end, if your talking about both players being equally good I'd always go with the Line as I think it's more of an important part of the game. But I think Byrd has a chance to be not only one of the best 2-3 in the league but to potentially be a great. Polamalu, Reed, Sanders great and that's just too tough to pass up.

Hopefully!!!!!!!! We don't have to make this descision and keep them both.

Levitre. Byrd is a nice player but we do have a replacement (Searcy) behind him if he does end up leaving. Levitre's skill and versatility make him one of the most important pieces on our offensive line. If anything is important on the O-line.. its continuity so I wouldn't give him up over a safety.

You have to take the current roster in to account when you make a decision like this. At the current point in time they are BOTH invaluable to our team but on the same token, we have better depth on the line than we do at Safety. So it is easily Byrd man for me. They are both pro-bowlers in my opinion.

Byrd. While he is still suspect in the tackling department and has problems with a nagging hernia/injury, he has tremendous ball skills. With a decent pash rush I expect him to have a great season. I like Levitre too, but Byrd is a playmaker.

Levitre without hesitation.

I spent 4 years watching Jauron obsessing over the secondary.

It took Nix 3 years to rebuild the lines because of that stupidity.

It all begins in the trenches.

Um, it was Jauron who was coach when both Wood and Levitre were drafted who happen to be the best O-lineman on the team right now. The team even traded up to get Levitre.

Byrd. While he is still suspect in the tackling department and has problems with a nagging hernia/injury, he has tremendous ball skills. With a decent pash rush I expect him to have a great season. I like Levitre too, but Byrd is a playmaker.

I thought he imposed tremendously as a tackler last year. Made a few great open field tacked that saved a TD or two IIRC.

Gotta go with Levitre. IMO teams are built in the trenches. A great o-line and d-line can make average players behind them look better than they really are. I really do like Byrd and think he’s a really good player but if I had to choose, I think it would be easier to replace him than Levitre.

It shouldn’t matter. We have the cap space to resign both so it shouldn’t be a problem if both players want to stay here.

Um, it was Jauron who was coach when both Wood and Levitre were drafted who happen to be the best O-lineman on the team right now. The team even traded up to get Levitre.

Thank you for making my point.

Wood and Levitre were 1st and 2nd round picks.

In the 4 years Jauron drafted, can you name any other OL drafted in the first and second round?

I'll make it easier, can you name any other OL drafted before the fifth round?

Here's another question: how many DB's were drafted by Jauron just in the first round?