Akin

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drop the !@#$ out moron!

Surprised no one really brought this topic up

I really thought his statement was too incoherent and ignorant to be truly offensive.

The amazing thing is that he's trying to defend himself. Uh...no. Just say "You know what? That was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard anyone say. I don't know what I was thinking. God, I'm an idiot."

I really thought his statement was too incoherent and ignorant to be truly offensive.

The amazing thing is that he's trying to defend himself. Uh...no. Just say "You know what? That was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard anyone say. I don't know what I was thinking. God, I'm an idiot."

The problem is that he doesn't believe it's stupid and that in his mind, it's somehow true.

The problem is that he doesn't believe it's stupid and that in his mind, it's somehow true.

It was a statement (or, rather, a series of tenuously connected statements) so devoid of any reality and lacking in point that I have a hard time believing anyone could actually speak such a thing.

Write...? Sure. EII does it all the time. Speak, in response to a question? A long, rambling boatload of crap espousing the belief that conception is biologically in part dependent on the "legitimacy" of a rape? :wacko: Gibberish is right - the guy can't even express what he believes ("I don't think abortion is appropriate in any case, including rape." There, that's not hard, is it?)

Side note: Anyone see Obama's "rebuttal"? Aside from the brilliant "rape is rape" observation (and he should know, given what he's doing to the business community and middle class), he had the gall to suggest that politicians - who are overwhelmingly men - should not involved in women's health. Uh, now...about Obamacare...? :wallbash:

Probably because its so straightforward.

His statement was offensive gibberish.

He should drop out by tomorrow.

Yep. If he doesn't drop out, I'll be very surprised. While I understand that sometimes double standards are made obvious by this stuff, there's too much at stake to screw around. The SuperPacs have already pulled out, everyone but his mother is telling him to drop out, and it's time to get out while there's still time to take McCaskill's seat.

Edited by LABillzFan

"legitimate rape," pregnancy is rare because "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

Go ahead

defend it

:lol:

While I would normally go with the "In his defense, he's clearly too damned stupid to know what he was saying." line of defense...I think I'm going to switch it up, and instead defend him with "You're taking a soundbyte out of context." Just because it works for Obama.

I hope he doesn't drop out. If we can't get leadership out of our leaders, I'll settle for hilarity at this point.

Was he trying to say a "real" rape in stead of a "faked" rape?

Oh sweet Jesus, what a maroon.

He should have his whole thing shut down.

"Violent" rape, most likely. As opposed to "date rape" or "ex-post-facto" rape.

"legitimate rape," pregnancy is rare because "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

Go ahead

defend it

:lol:

I don't know enough about the subject to speak intelligently on the matter, but if what he said is true it doesn't sound like he meant anything offensive by it. Not saying it wasn't a stupid comment; just sounds like more of a "gotcha" gaffe than anything substantive.

Edited by Rob's House

I'm sure his intention wasn't to be offensive, but was. Not only was it offensive, but it was extraordinarily ignorant, with not a shred of evidence to support his caveman like views. There is a reason why just about everybody is imploring him to drop out of the race, because his views are not only out of the mainstream, but are unequivocally false and insensitive.

This isn't a "gotcha" gaffe, it's a display of an outdated man that is not fit to run for national office.

I'm sure his intention wasn't to be offensive, but was. Not only was it offensive, but it was extraordinarily ignorant, with not a shred of evidence to support his caveman like views. There is a reason why just about everybody is imploring him to drop out of the race, because his views are not only out of the mainstream, but are unequivocally false and insensitive.

This isn't a "gotcha" gaffe, it's a display of an outdated man that is not fit to run for national office.

I knew nothing of the story until about two hours ago, so perhaps there's more to it than I gathered, but what is it about his comments that was offensive and caveman-like?

BTW, I find your comment insulting to cavemen.

There is a reason why just about everybody is imploring him to drop out of the race, because his views are not only out of the mainstream, but are unequivocally false and insensitive.

Not only that, but Romney/Ryan have control of the discussion right now. Obama is sucking hind tit, DWS is in lockdown, Axelrod can barely complete a full sentence without contradicting Cutter, Newsweek and Politico have released the hounds and Biden is limited to buying Girl Scout cookies and making up knock-knock jokes. If Obama can spend the week talking about Romney/Ryan's positions on abortion, he'd soil himself.

Cut Akin. End the discussion. Move on to keep control of the dialogue.

What this issue shines a light on is the beliefs and actions of Paul Ryan, and the Ryan-Akin co-sponsored bill that affirms that from the moment of fertilization onward, “every human being shall have all the legal and constitutional attributes and privileges of personhood.” It then says that Congress and the states have the “authority” to protect all human beings — again, defined as human life from fertilization onward — residing in their juristictions.

What that means is that Ryan wants to ban abortion even due to rape or incest, and would in effect ban in vitro fertilization since that procedure usually requires the destruction of embryos, which is as extreme anti-choice as one can get. In addition, Akin and Ryan had both co-sponsored another measure, that would distinguish “forcible rape” in banning abortion funding.

These are the type of extremists that Romney had to become "severely conservative" for to win the nomination, and would be the people he would be indebted to if he became president. He won the primary battle, but these are the "death by 1000 cuts" that are going to lose him the election among independents and moderates.

This guy needs to be raped.

You and FaninSanDiego should hook up.

What this issue shines a light on is the beliefs and actions of Paul Ryan, and the Ryan-Akin co-sponsored bill that affirms that from the moment of fertilization onward, “every human being shall have all the legal and constitutional attributes and privileges of personhood.” It then says that Congress and the states have the “authority” to protect all human beings — again, defined as human life from fertilization onward — residing in their juristictions.

What that means is that Ryan wants to ban abortion even due to rape or incest, and would in effect ban in vitro fertilization since that procedure usually requires the destruction of embryos, which is as extreme anti-choice as one can get. In addition, Akin and Ryan had both co-sponsored another measure, that would distinguish “forcible rape” in banning abortion funding.

These are the type of extremists that Romney had to become "severely conservative" for to win the nomination, and would be the people he would be indebted to if he became president. He won the primary battle, but these are the "death by 1000 cuts" that are going to lose him the election among independents and moderates.

Do you have any links? How many co-sponsers were there?