Where is Kelvin Sheppard?

BillsLux

I wonder how many people on this forum actually rematched the tape...

I'm not defending Shep, but the original statement from the OP was Shep getting burnt on a draw play. Funny just had a look at the game and Shep wasnt even on the field on that play. The Bills were in nickel defense and it was in fact Bryan Scott who got blocked by a Viking guard and allowed the play to go long.

I'm not saying that excuses some of Sheps other bad plays but it makes me wonder if people are actually watching Shep or just assuming hes in the middle all the plays.

95% of the "analysis" that goes on around here is by armchair heroes who never played or coached a lick of football in their entire lives, but because they've "watched it for years" feel competent to discuss how a player did or did not perform.

Once you understand that, the board becomes easier to stomach. We're all just idiots presenting our uninformed opinions.

And yes, I include myself in that statement.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shep is the reason that I wanted the Bills to trade down and draft Hightower. This is not to say there would have been an adequate offer mind you, but Sheppard was not a good player last season, and we are clearly weak at the LB position.

I suppose the good news is that so were the Giants last season. In other words, we truly need the DL to step up, but we already knew this.

Edited by Bill from NYC

95% of the "analysis" that goes on around here is by armchair heroes who never played or coached a lick of football in their entire lives, but because they've "watched it for years" feel competent to discuss how a player did or did not perform.

Once you understand that, the board becomes easier to stomach. We're all just idiots presenting our uninformed opinions.

I would include myself in that statement as well.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I think sheppard is in trouble. I remember an interview with Gailey this offseason where he mentioned being frustrated that shep showed up last year way out of shape which caused him to get behind early last season.

I don't remember Chaney calling out Shepard for being out of shape.

Anyone defending Sheppard is just not paying attention--he is just overwhelmed right now...he can't even disengage from a full back or tight end...he makes very few proper reads...sadly mckilop is better right now, but he's not nearly the athlete needed for that position...it is a very big problem right now...forget left tackle or second wr...or even qb, this is priority #1...I would be shocked if he has anything similar saturday to his last performance if we did not find veteran or just demote for mckilip or Morrison

Not me

I don't remember Chaney calling out Shepard for being out of shape.

I don't think he called Shep out for it precisely - calling out would have been mentioning it at the time of 2011 camp.

Chan commented that Shep in camp this year was doing much better than Shep in camp last year, where he showed up 15 lbs heavier and was injured early on (keep in mind in 3-4 want LB to have more mass and heavier doesn't necessarily mean out of shape).

I hate to go all eball and post my own thread but McKillop will be starting by week 4. Shep never saw a block that he could shed. He's not physical at the POA. He's 10 x's worse than Poz and that's saying a lot.

http://forums.twobil...scott-mckillop/

I, too, am concerned by how Shep is playing. I do think we need to give him some adjustment time - but a look at the # of tackles v. Wash and Vikes shows one (1) vs Skins and none (0) vs Minn. For a MLB, that's very very scary. I think McKillop will be a good LB but after a year off and mostly ST before that no way is he ready to start as the "QB of the Defense". Bear in mind he's looking good vs the 2nd teamers, and one might have the same complaints about him if he started at this point. If they decide Shep isn't ready, they will shuffle things around - return Barnett to his natural position in the middle and try Moats at SLB and Morrison or someone else at WLB - in contrast to everything they've said, posssibly Merriman if he stays healthy because while it wouldn't let him showcase his best skill of rushing the passer, that guy can just flat out play football.

Keep in mind Barnett isn't showing his best play right now either - the outside is a new game for him also.

Edited by Hopeful

I, too, am concerned by how Shep is playing. I do think we need to give him some adjustment time - but a look at the # of tackles v. Wash and Vikes shows one (1) vs Skins and none (0) vs Minn. For a MLB, that's very very scary. I think McKillop will be a good LB but after a year off and mostly ST before that no way is he ready to start as the "QB of the Defense". Bear in mind he's looking good vs the 2nd teamers, and one might have the same complaints about him if he started at this point. If they decide Shep isn't ready, they will shuffle things around - return Barnett to his natural position in the middle and try Moats at SLB and Morrison or someone else at WLB - in contrast to everything they've said, posssibly Merriman if he stays healthy because while it wouldn't let him showcase his best skill of rushing the passer, that guy can just flat out play football.

Keep in mind Barnett isn't showing his best play right now either - the outside is a new game for him also.

McKillop knows this defense like the back of his hand because he played for Wanny and was his defensive captain for two years at Pitt. He was All Big East twice and the defensive player of the year in 08. He has something that KS doesn't have, instincts. He's a thumper who's not giving up his gap. KS is playing on skates on every play and getting blocked down field, not even around the LOS.

Sheppard was god awful last night, Mark Kelso pointed out his mistakes often.

At one point, he turned his back on the ball carrier and he ran right past him.

Worst job by a MLB in years........

This

I watched the game and keyed in on mostly sheppard because I do feel he's suspect. His instincts are not good and he is very slow to read and react as evidenced by that double move put on him by Minnesota's receiver ( his name escapes me) he dove and wiffed thats how bad he was beaten. If you dont think guys like Ryan and Belicheat wont key in on mismatches with Sheppard your nuts. This LB corp is in trouble

There's "watched it for years" as in sat there with a twelve-pack and some chips chowing down. And then there's "watched it for years" as in studied the game.

I can be wrong and often am, I do think you're selling yourself a bit short there, eball. It becomes clear pretty quickly whose opinions are informed and who is just blowing smoke.

McKillop knows this defense like the back of his hand because he played for Wanny and was his defensive captain for two years at Pitt. He was All Big East twice and the defensive player of the year in 08. He has something that KS doesn't have, instincts. He's a thumper who's not giving up his gap. KS is playing on skates on every play and getting blocked down field, not even around the LOS.

"That's nice, Sonny, but This Here's the Fleet!". McKillop may have a leg up on the 'stache's defensive install, and he may be playing well enough against the #2s to earn a spot on the team, but that doesn't mean he's ready to start at MLB which means able to diagnose NFL offenses and call the right D then react himself, all at NFL speed which is a whole different enchilada than college. Give Shep the rest of preseason to figure it out. If he doesn't, he'll sit down, but I'd be very surprised (and worried, myself) if it's McKillop who takes over the middle.

Shep has definitely struggled. Personally I think the best thing to do if he continutes to struggle would be to move Barnett back to middle linebacker and maybe have a Moats and Bradham/Morrison combo on the outside

Probably right....... :thumbsup:

Sometimes I seriously wonder why I come to this site all the time, it's gettin to the point right now where I'm putting someone on the ignore list everyday

Someone?! You've got a lot of restraint, IMO. :D

My list's at 24 pages and growing...