Where is Kelvin Sheppard?

BillsLux

You can't grade a defense as "decent" when they melt down at the end of the first half the way they did. That's simply unacceptable play. Playing well 58 minutes (or here, 28) does not get the job done. The D had the same redzone problems as last year, and let the Steelers destroy them at the end of the first half. Very disappointing game.

Id say holding a team to low yards and punts for 58 (or 28) minutes is the definition of "decent". No team is going to be perfect, especially against a team like Pitt. But we played very well except for plays 41-48.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just making statements? Or do you have anything to back that up with?

What do you think of last night's performance?

How are these positive plays:

43, Run, Shep fills hole at LOS, forces runner into pile, runner pushes for 6 yards. Runner gained 6 yards!

And absolutely NONE of the plays you cited were "impact" plays. He's average at best. He had 3 tackles last night, one assist. No forced fumbles, no passes defended. Just average. And same last season. None of the above. No impact plays. He's not awful like some think, but I'm expecting him to be an impact player this year after he was average-good last year as a rookie.

Id say holding a team to low yards and punts for 58 (or 28) minutes is the definition of "decent". No team is going to be perfect, especially against a team like Pitt. But we played very well except for plays 41-48.

That's how the Bills always seem to play, and plays 41-48 were TERRIBLE. Not sub-par, bad, or gee we let them get too many first downs, those are the types of plays that loose you games. And Antonio Brown tore apart the secondary. He's a great WR, but he's really their only top receiving threat w/o Wallace, and the inability to contain him is another cause for concern. I agree that if we play like we did the first 28 minutes the entire way this D will be fine. I liked the run defense. But overall I'd give it a C. Dearus was upset about how they played.

Edited by RyanC883

You can't grade a defense as "decent" when they melt down at the end of the first half the way they did. That's simply unacceptable play. Playing well 58 minutes (or here, 28) does not get the job done. The D had the same redzone problems as last year, and let the Steelers destroy them at the end of the first half. Very disappointing game.

So the very positive things they did last night are just not part of the equation? We should just forget that they completely dominated the Steelers for the first 20 minutes of the game?

No doubt Wanny is pissed but he's gonna note the good stuff, too. As well he should.

GO BILLS!!!

Dr D. Thanks for the write up, I tuned in late and missed the first half. I had planned on really focusing and watching Shep play. Overall I would say it was a good day. As your write up shows, he made 3 "bad" plays and one was called back for holding. For a second year kid, I would say that is pretty damn good. I'm not expecting him to be Ray Lewis (wouldn't complain if he was though!)

Any idea if he was calling plays last night or if they were letting the secondary do it?

Gailey said early last week they scrapped the DBs calling signals immediately after last game.

So the very positive things they did last night are just not part of the equation? We should just forget that they completely dominated the Steelers for the first 20 minutes of the game?

No doubt Wanny is pissed but he's gonna note the good stuff, too. As well he should.

GO BILLS!!!

I did note the positive things. But lets not get delusional and think this is a top 15 defense yet. No dominate LB. And the exact same Red Zone issues as last year, coupled with a end of half meltdown. That's why I'd say they get a C overall. Front 4= A. Everyone else, D. C overall.

I did note the positive things. But lets not get delusional and think this is a top 15 defense yet. No dominate LB. And the exact same Red Zone issues as last year, coupled with a end of half meltdown. That's why I'd say they get a C overall. Front 4= A. Everyone else, D. C overall.

Fair enough.

GO BILLS!!!

How are these positive plays:

43, Run, Shep fills hole at LOS, forces runner into pile, runner pushes for 6 yards. Runner gained 6 yards!

And absolutely NONE of the plays you cited were "impact" plays. He's average at best. He had 3 tackles last night, one assist. No forced fumbles, no passes defended. Just average. And same last season. None of the above. No impact plays. He's not awful like some think, but I'm expecting him to be an impact player this year after he was average-good last year as a rookie.

He filled his hole and forced the runner back inside to where Dareus and Williams were waiting. He did his job. Not his fault the runner was able to keep chugging and pushed the pile. Many here accuse him of not attacking the line or filling holes. He did just that. On a lot of plays, all you can ask him to do is come up to the line and fill. If the runner goes another way, then he did his job. Please understand that my breakdown was in response to people calling for him to be benched and even cut. I dont think they understand that sometimes a player just needs to do his job. He deserves just a little credit when he's meeting his assignments and allowing others to make plays in front of him. Especially when most of those plays are at or behind the LOS.

He made two "big impact" plays. #26 was a stop behind the LOS. And play #28, he beasted through 2 blocks and made a play behind the LOS.

And complaining that he had "no passes defended" is simply unfair. There were no balls thrown even remotely in his direction.

That's how the Bills always seem to play, and plays 41-48 were TERRIBLE. Not sub-par, bad, or gee we let them get too many first downs, those are the types of plays that loose you games. And Antonio Brown tore apart the secondary. He's a great WR, but he's really their only top receiving threat w/o Wallace, and the inability to contain him is another cause for concern. I agree that if we play like we did the first 28 minutes the entire way this D will be fine. I liked the run defense. But overall I'd give it a C. Dearus was upset about how they played.

It's tough when you give up a turn over, and give the other team the ball in the red zone. But I agree we should have made the stop there. And I am not excusing the last drive, at all. It was a disaster. But the players and coaches all pointed that out as well.

I wont argue too much over your grade. You have valid reasons. Im just not worried that the mistakes that were made last night are beyond repair.

Edited by DrDareustein

As for the last drive, I'm just not going to get upset about a 2x super bowl winning QB completely a pass in a preseason game that would probably actually be caught maybe once or twice out of ten times. The D probably got caught letting up, thinking Pitt was going to end up punting and the half would end. I just don't care about it at all. If it happens in a game that counts, then I'll get pissed about it then. As far as I'm concerned, the D showed that they will be a force to be reckoned with, especially once Wanny actually puts in a 60 minute game plan. We stuffed their running game for an entire half, we're healthy, and we got good pressure on Ben. That's what I'm focusing on.

In case you haven't noticed, the Bills need a middle linebacker desperately! Maybe they can get one off the waiver wire on the last cut down day. Sheppard stinks and he is a liability to the defense. :death:

Edited by ralphybaby

He made a nice play against Detroit last night when he made a stop behind the los but he once again showed that he is not willing to lay out the big hit and really stick someone when the opportunity presents its self. IMO a good MLB has to live for that. But what do I know? If he'd just freakin drill somebody I'd like him.

Edited by bmur66

Sometimes I seriously wonder why I come to this site all the time, it's gettin to the point right now where I'm putting someone on the ignore list everyday

Who in this thread posted something that wanted you to put them on ignore? Unless your Kelvin Sheppard. Bottomline here is Shep stinks. The middle linebacker with our defensive line should be wreaking havoc all over the field. The book on him is he is not big enough & he is not athletic enough to be in the middle. Bad combination. I really don't know what their options are at this point but I really don't see shep getting any better. The guy is limited.

Who in this thread posted something that wanted you to put them on ignore? Unless your Kelvin Sheppard. Bottomline here is Shep stinks. The middle linebacker with our defensive line should be wreaking havoc all over the field. The book on him is he is not big enough & he is not athletic enough to be in the middle. Bad combination. I really don't know what their options are at this point but I really don't see shep getting any better. The guy is limited.

The book on him? He's played exactly 3/4 of a regular season, didn't realize a book could be written on a player so soon. Bottomline is it's the preseason.