Would You Trade Any 3 Bills Players for Andrew Luck?

Boludo

I'm being completely honest in saying I would not make this decision until after seeing how this year plays out. I believe the Bills are set up, right now, to be legitimate contenders for the next 3-4 years. If Fitzpatrick proves he can lead the ship, it is not nearly the "easy" decision some of you are making it out to be.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to say, especially since we don't know how good he'll be. I don't expect him to bust, but what if he becomes the next Matt Ryan instead of the next Peyton Manning? In hindsight I'd trade our top 3 guys for a 23 year old Manning, but not for Matt Ryan. Granted, a great QB can mask a lot of flaws, but outside of Manning, Marino, and Favre, (maybe Elway) who in the modern era has made their team a perennial contender based solely on QB play? And don't say Montana, Brady, or Rogers b/c all of those guys were/are surrounded by talent.

Manning wasn't surrounded by talent?? At WR, RB and TE for most of his career? And Favre too? Come on! No QB how has played as long as Manning has been sacked fewer times.

Who's Rodgers had to throw to that's had careers like Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark? Or RB's with careers like James and even Addai? And what All Pro WRs have spent their careers catching passes from Brady? And RBs?

Anyway. This question has an easy answer. Of course you take Luck and build for the future around him. We would lose maybe Mario and Freddy? As awesome as they are, they are both coming off injuries that made them miss most of last season and who knows how long they will last in the league. Losing Freddy would hurt--he's a young, top WR but he could be replaced.

I don't believe the question is posed as a free option after a year. Of course everyone would choose that. Question is posed as now.

Actually it wasn't specified, but if the question must be evaluated right now my answer is no. Luck is just as unproven as any other rookie, and the Bills are set up to be contenders immediately. I also have confidence Nix will find the next Bills starting QB over the next 2-3 seasons (while Fitz is leading us to the playoffs).

Manning wasn't surrounded by talent?? At WR, RB and TE for most of his career? And Favre too? Come on! No QB how has played as long as Manning has been sacked fewer times.

Who's Rodgers had to throw to that's had careers like Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark? Or RB's with careers like James and even Addai? And what All Pro WRs have spent their careers catching passes from Brady? And RBs?

Anyway. This question has an easy answer. Of course you take Luck and build for the future around him. We would lose maybe Mario and Freddy? As awesome as they are, they are both coming off injuries that made them miss most of last season and who knows how long they will last in the league. Losing Freddy would hurt--he's a young, top WR but he could be replaced.

Horrible arguments. Manning doesn't take sacks because he gets rid of the ball within 2.5-3.0 seconds on nearly every play. By your argument then, the Bills must have the best pass protecting line in the NFL. A joke to say the least as there's not a sould, even a diehard Bills homer, that would agree with that. However, Fitzpatrick DID take the least number of sacks last year for a signal caller starting all 16 games.

Let's see who Rodgers has had. Consecutive 1,200 hard rushing seasons from Ryan Grant before his injury. Fantastic receiving options in Greg Jennings, Jermichael Finley, and Donald Driver on the down side of his career along with an emerging Jordy Nelson and James Jones. You can always make the argument that the supporting cast makes the QB, but you still have to have a QB that can get them the ball.

Last, I think you're talking about losing Steve Johnson when you say "young WR" and not Freddy, who's obviously a RB. If it's Mario, Steve, and Freddy that you're talking about giving up for Luck, I would say only in Madden fantasy land. For those making the argument that he's a "once in a lifetime" QB, you only have to look at guys that have had tremendous success in the NFL in the last 10 years or so to know that's not true. Michael Vick, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Cam Newton. All of these guys are considered stars and several have won Superbowls with their teams. No way do you trade away infrastructure that you've been building through the draft and free agency for 3 years to take a flyer on a kid who hasn't taken a regular season snap and is just running "vanilla" offense right now playing against equally "vanilla" defenses in the preseason.

Actually it wasn't specified, but if the question must be evaluated right now my answer is no. Luck is just as unproven as any other rookie, and the Bills are set up to be contenders immediately. I also have confidence Nix will find the next Bills starting QB over the next 2-3 seasons (while Fitz is leading us to the playoffs).

That's why I said "I believe". But given a 1 year option the rational choice would be to wait - no matter ones current outlook - i think its safe to assume the decision timing is now. Op is welcome to correct me if that's wrong

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Freddy plays RB bud...

I would never trade Stevie Johnson, Fred Jackson, and Fitz for Luck, especially in a redraft league.

I actually just traded Andrew Luck, Justin Blackmon and Dustin Keller for Calvin Johnson and Jermaine Gresham in a Dynasty League.

I'm happy with Megatron for the long run.

:devil:

Horrible arguments. Manning doesn't take sacks because he gets rid of the ball within 2.5-3.0 seconds on nearly every play. By your argument then, the Bills must have the best pass protecting line in the NFL. A joke to say the least as there's not a sould, even a diehard Bills homer, that would agree with that. However, Fitzpatrick DID take the least number of sacks last year for a signal caller starting all 16 games.

Let's see who Rodgers has had. Consecutive 1,200 hard rushing seasons from Ryan Grant before his injury. Fantastic receiving options in Greg Jennings, Jermichael Finley, and Donald Driver on the down side of his career along with an emerging Jordy Nelson and James Jones. You can always make the argument that the supporting cast makes the QB, but you still have to have a QB that can get them the ball.

Last, I think you're talking about losing Steve Johnson when you say "young WR" and not Freddy, who's obviously a RB. If it's Mario, Steve, and Freddy that you're talking about giving up for Luck, I would say only in Madden fantasy land. For those making the argument that he's a "once in a lifetime" QB, you only have to look at guys that have had tremendous success in the NFL in the last 10 years or so to know that's not true. Michael Vick, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Cam Newton. All of these guys are considered stars and several have won Superbowls with their teams. No way do you trade away infrastructure that you've been building through the draft and free agency for 3 years to take a flyer on a kid who hasn't taken a regular season snap and is just running "vanilla" offense right now playing against equally "vanilla" defenses in the preseason.

Horrible arguments? Not about Brady's WRs and Manning's army of offensive weapons throughout his career. Most QB's release within 2.5-3 seconds most of the time. No doubt that Manning is smart with the ball, but he throws downfield a lot and those plays take more than 3 seconds--Wayne and Harrison didn't make those yards running slant patterns over the middle. He has had good protection his whole career. Fitz doesn't have the number of attempts per season even in 16 games as a typical Manning season. His low sack numbers are a combination of his release and a line that is likely more protective than we give it credit for. He had 38 sacks in in 13 games in Cincy. Was his release too slow then?

Yes, I meant Stevie, not Freddie.

It doesn't have to be a "once in a lifetime" QB as you note. But we all have seen Luck play for a few years. He's not Jamarcus Russell. Or Ryan Leaf. There is universal consensus on this. We were 6-10 last year without Mario. You wouldn't trade away 2 mid to late career vets and a WR to land a guy who may anchor the franchise for a dozen years? For a few more years of building with Fitz and Fred and Mario?

I'm going with the majority on this one.

In a heartbeat. Fitz wouldn't be one of the guys - he'd end up being our backup - no way would another team want him that much.

I would assume we'd lose Mario, FredEx, and Dareus. Could be Stevie instead of Freddy?

But yes, there are no three players we wouldn't want to trade for Luck in my opinion.

It doesn't have to be a "once in a lifetime" QB as you note. But we all have seen Luck play for a few years. He's not Jamarcus Russell. Or Ryan Leaf. There is universal consensus on this. We were 6-10 last year without Mario. You wouldn't trade away 2 mid to late career vets and a WR to land a guy who may anchor the franchise for a dozen years? For a few more years of building with Fitz and Fred and Mario?

I'm going with the majority on this one.

We've seen him play college football against college level talent. That's it. Like I said before, I wouldn't trade away core solid NFL players and a young stud WR for someone that may anchor the franchise but also that may just flame out. On the last point, I could honestly care less. The Colts are not trading Luck any time soon and the Bills haven't even made the inkling of a gesture that they would want him. This is just another pointless thread that's only close connection to reality is the reality of the next Madden game.

Edited by Luxy312

We've seen him play college football against college level talent. That's it. Like I said before, I wouldn't trade away core solid NFL players and a young stud WR for someone that may anchor the franchise but also that may just flame out. On the last point, I could honestly care less. The Colts are not trading Luck any time soon and the Bills haven't even made the inkling of a gesture that they would want him. This is just another pointless thread that's only close connection to reality is the reality of the next Madden game.

You're making me look like the Easter Bunny!

If it were somehow possible, would you trade for Andrew Luck in exchange for any three of the Bills players of the Colts choosing (ie - Luck for Fitzpatrick+Johnson+Dareus)?

If you think 3 is the wrong number, do you think 1, 2, or 4+ would be the most you'd give up?

YES !! ...WITHOUT A DOUBT

and if i was them, i'd pick Dareus, Kyle Williams and Mario Williams.

I would do the deal. I think the more interesting question however, is who would the colts take. I don't think they would take Mario Williams due to the contract. I think they would pick young talented players with reasonable contracts. The would definitely take Dareus. The should take Kyle Williams but might be scared of his health. They would not take anyone whose contract will expire soon. I'm struggling with the other two players they would take. Would they take Spiller and Gilmore?

Why has this thread gone to page 3??

Yes. Of course. Who wouldn't? Are you insane?

Done. Topic closed.

I wouldnt. Rebuild mode again???? I'm tired of rebuilding. We finally have a top defense. Plus how do we know he will not turn out to be Sam Bradford. I actually hate when they hype up these guys to be gods. Then a bunch of them end up just being ok. Look what the media did with Kevin Kolb. He was supposed to put Arizona on the map again. Flat wrong. Plus Andrew being in the Afc now, I'm sorry, I actually want him to fail.

Just like Rg3. He's no cam newton. He actually reminded me of Jason Cambell. They are good. But not super stars.

At least we know Mario is good. Kyle is good (when healthy). Where is the excitement bill fans???

I wouldnt. Rebuild mode again???? I'm tired of rebuilding. We finally have a top defense. Plus how do we know he will not turn out to be Sam Bradford. I actually hate when they hype up these guys to be gods. Then a bunch of them end up just being ok. Look what the media did with Kevin Kolb. He was supposed to put Arizona on the map again. Flat wrong. Plus Andrew being in the Afc now, I'm sorry, I actually want him to fail.

Just like Rg3. He's no cam newton. He actually reminded me of Jason Cambell. They are good. But not super stars.

At least we know Mario is good. Kyle is good (when healthy). Where is the excitement bill fans???

I'm pretty sure nobody thinks Luck is a great QB because of anything the media says about him. He's been passing the eye test since his first game at Stanford.

Kolb? Not so much.

GO BILLS!!!

Agree and that's assuming the guy pans out and other pieces come together.

He looks like he will be good but is his projected future value worth say three probowl potential players?

For Aaron Rogers or a young Manning or Brady probably yes.

For a guy who -could- be the next Ryan Leaf no.

In any case there is an obvious tendency to assume the QB is responsible for all a teams success and failures. If a team is dominant it's because they have a great QB. However I would argue a guy like Brees's career suggests you can go from being thought of as decent or pretty good to "elite" just by getting in the right situation in terms of supporting cast (and he had two probowl skill position players in San Diego)

Brady is great but Matt Casel took that pats team to the playoffs in his season long absence. If Cassel stayed with that same NE supporting cast could he have done that several years in a row -probably. Would that make him top tier?

Two years ago Matt Ryan was the up and coming star of the NFL and you could have started this thread with his name. now would you make a three pick trade for him?

Too much cedit for their good year too little credit for their mediocre year.

Luck is about as sure a thing as you are ever going to get out of the Draft. He should never be mentioned with Ryan Leaf...

Also, Cassel didn't lead the Pats to the playoffs they missed that year he played.

And to the OPs question, I would absolutely trade any 3 players for him off this team.. Some of you guys are way over valuing the players on this team.. They haven't made the playoffs ever and are as unproven as Luck is for the most part with the young guys...

I'm pretty sure nobody thinks Luck is a great QB because of anything the media says about him. He's been passing the eye test since his first game at Stanford.

Kolb? Not so much.

GO BILLS!!!

I hope this thread is still available when he goes 3-13 with like 25 ints.