Interesting Bill Polian Tidbit, courtesy Peter King

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/08/12/mmqb/3.html

During the 1987 strike season in Buffalo, Polian signed a replacement left tackle known for dirty play with the specific intention of trying to hold and frustrate New York Giants pass rushing demon Lawrence Taylor. Bill says he had no choice despite having to guarantee the player's contract for the entire season to seal the deal. "Our quarterback would have literally gotten killed," said Polian, who told team owner Ralph Wilson exactly that when seeking permission to approve the transaction because of this player's reputation. The tackle did the job -- and never played for the Bills again when the regulars came off the picket line the following week.

Bills were that concerned about Willie Totten?

my thought exactly. That game will go down as the single most unwatchable 60 minutes of football ever. Thank god we had tickets in the Buffalo News suite for that game as, to top it all off, it absolutely monsooned out. A 6-3 overtime thriller.

I remember being at the game and laughing as the Bills center Wil Grant seemed to be tackling Lawrence Taylor on every play. Heres some quotes from that day with link below:

New York’s Lawrence Taylor, one of the few players to cross the picket line, had about a half-dozen sacks and even played some tight end.

Will Grant, a former Bills’ center, brought as a “strike player” was charged with blocking Taylor that day, and drew a flurry of flags.

As Grant came off the field after the final one, frustrated coach Marv Levy allowed, “Will, that’s five holding penalties …”

And Grant famously responded, “It’s not that bad coach, I’ve been holding him every play.”

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/article_58109bea-71f6-5e96-bf43-587f92d59f0d.html

i think i went to that game too. im not sure because i probably wiped it from my mind. the only worst game ever was the home cleveland loss a couple years ago. that was just brutal

that game was the game that broke me as a Billiever no matter what. I sat in the stadium that day with friends all around me and anyone could think I was a Browns fan that day. I swore that I wouldn't openly cheer for them until DJ was fired I can't remember if it was any games or how many games after that he was fired but I'm glad he was to say the least.

that game was the game that broke me as a Billiever no matter what. I sat in the stadium that day with friends all around me and anyone could think I was a Browns fan that day. I swore that I wouldn't openly cheer for them until DJ was fired I can't remember if it was any games or how many games after that he was fired but I'm glad he was to say the least.

I was at that game as well. I left in the 4th quarter to go out and start the BBQ grill and wash away my sorrows with a few beers. One of the worst games I had ever seen. I kept saying to myself, I drove 4 1/2 hours to watch that $&^#. At least the tailgate was good and got to watch several idiots set a couch on fire and then proceed to jump on it while it was fully engulfed in flames. Certainly much more entertaining than the football game.

I would bet the motgage the guys name was schulte..I think rick schulte...he was in camp that year and was dirty....he and Mitch freerote got into it almost every day battling for backup line spot...googled him...crazy he died just like frerotte...weird..but he is the guy

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062308aaa.html

Edited by ronnieroscoe