Lee Evans released

silvermike

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the people that make this argument are only thinking of the good times with 2006-ish Lee Evans, and not 2012 Lee Evans. The 2012 Lee Evans has already been cut twice this offseason. And one of those teams was the Jaguars. He's another year older, and another year slower, and another year more expensive as a vet. I, and the Bills, put him right on par with those young guys we currently have. So why bother? No thanks.

I never said to bring him back, and I was referring to the current Lee Evans when I said better then 80% of the Bills receivers. Has he slowed down, of course. He still probably has better hands then Stevie Johnson who is tops of the league year in and out in drops, and Johnson is in the 20% who are better then him at this point of his career. He is still better then Easley, Ruvell Martin and a few of the other receivers fighting for a roster spot. Would I bring him back, probably not, this team doesn't need any reminders of how disastrous the past decade plus has been.

Edited by BuffBill

I never said to bring him back, and I was referring to the current Lee Evans when I said better then 80% of the Bills receivers. Has he slowed down, of course. He still probably has better hands then Stevie Johnson who is tops of the league year in and out in drops, and Johnson is in the 20% who are better then him at this point of his career. He is still better then Easley, Ruvell Martin and a few of the other receivers fighting for a roster spot. Would I bring him back, probably not, this team doesn't need any reminders of how disastrous the past decade plus has been.

Seriously? You want to talk about Lee's hands after last season's playoff game??

Just saying SJ is tops on drops or Lee is 80% of any other Bills receiver doesn't make it so.

PTR

Might be worth considering bring him back for a 1 year deal if the price is right. If Gailey is going to be using his 5-wide thing again you can't have too many WRs.

he is not coming back to Buffalo. No way no how. Chan and Buddy cut him for a reason. As much as many here have tried to give Lee too much credit, Buddy and Chan didn't see it. I do not see Buddy or Chan as the type of guys to bring back someone they let go.

My thoughts....Evans got released because he asked to be released.

He probably felt the system wasnt good for him and he thought he would be #4 or #5 on the depth chart.

Since he signed for a 1 yr deal he wanted to be on a team where he would be a starter and play most downs.

teams that could sign him---Dallas, Seattle

he is not coming back to Buffalo. No way no how. Chan and Buddy cut him for a reason. As much as many here have tried to give Lee too much credit, Buddy and Chan didn't see it. I do not see Buddy or Chan as the type of guys to bring back someone they let go.

They traded him---not cut him. There is a big difference. Their approach last year was to see where the season went.

He probably felt the system wasnt good for him and he thought he would be #4 or #5 on the depth chart.

Since he signed for a 1 yr deal he wanted to be on a team where he would be a starter and play most downs.

They traded him---not cut him. There is a big difference. Their approach last year was to see where the season went.

Fine. You are correct, they did trade him. But you do not just trade a guy to see how a season goes. They traded while they could still get something for him. As we are seeing, the Bills FO made another great decision. Evans is not the same player he was 2 or 3 years ago. Why? heck if i know. But if he can not stick with Jville, what makes you think another team is going to pick him up so quickly?

Not to mention there are plenty of 'over the hill' big name wr's sitting around out of work.

Seriously???? How many players can you name that asked to be released in training camp??? Talk about a death sentence. How many teams want a player that asked to be released in training camp?

"You Play To Win The Game"

- Herm E.

LOL at most the posts in this thread saying his career is over. The guy is 31 years old, not 37. His career is not done. Jax is going young and with Mike Thomas and Blackman entrenched at 1 and 2 and expensive Laurent Robinson there for #3, having Evans did not make any sense any more.

People forget that they signed Evans BEFORE they brought in Robinson and were unsure about Thomas remaining there. They already have 2 vets in Thomas and Robinson, so a third Vet doesn't make a lot of sense on a rebuilding team that has young guys that Evans will take playing time away from. He was also on a one year deal and the easiest to cut.

So the fact Jax cut him does not signal the end of his career. Evans will land somewhere, and personally I always thought Jax was a horrible fit for him. Blaine has no deep game and Evans would be useless in that system.

I think the possibility of him landing in Buffalo again is less than 20%. I would bet Evans would be interested, but we already have a crowded WR group that needs experience and a downfield threat to develop in TJ Graham, so I don't think he would fit here barring injuries anymore. I can see teams like Car, Was, Dall, SD, Cle, Hou, Minn, Tenn, Phi, Den, or the Rams taking a look at him.

Top 3 likely landing spots/best fits IMHO: Hou, Minn, or Rams.

Houston: Need some other big play ability outside of AJ. Besides AJ, the other WR's are marginal at best on that team.

Minn: Lack much of any WR threats outside of Harvin who is questionable at best as a #1 WR to begin with.

Rams: They have lots of possession WR's (Steve Smith, Amendola, etc) but are short on deep threats and could use a weapon for Bradford that can stretch the field still.

People hate on him because of his lack of production in Balt last year. But people ignore the fact he got there via trade midway through preseason. And when he got into the games in preseason he looked like the best WR on that team. Then he got hurt and it lingered all year and he never got a chance to earn a spot in the rotation. What that did was open up the door for Torrey Smith to breakout and emerge and that made Evans expendable.

I still firmly believe that he can still be a good WR on the right team and to write him off at age 31 is a bit silly. I could be wrong, but thats just my 2 cents.

Edited by Alphadawg7

LOL at most the posts in this thread saying his career is over. ...

...People hate on him because of his lack of production in Balt last year. But people ignore the fact he got there via trade midway through preseason. And when he got into the games in preseason he looked like the best WR on that team. Then he got hurt and it lingered all year and he never got a chance to earn a spot in the rotation.

...and then he dropped the ball, showing him in a different light for GM's now.

I loved the guy when he was here in Madison catching TD's for the Badgers, but the stars didn't line up for him (aside from a huge contract) in Buffalo.

I disagree, Dawg. I think Lee's age is irrelevant.

Some players have long careers. Some don't.

Peerless Price who is a similar player to Evans lasted 9 years in the NFL but he was pretty much cooked after his 6th season.

http://www.nfl.com/player/peerlessprice/2502543/profile

Whether it's physical or mental, some guys have short careers.

Or perhaps to put it better, have a short window of productivity.

Seriously? You want to talk about Lee's hands after last season's playoff game??

Just saying SJ is tops on drops or Lee is 80% of any other Bills receiver doesn't make it so.

PTR

wow really ptr? did you not see that was a pass defended, not a drop? a drop is when a ball hits your hands and then the turf. A pass defended is when a db hits the ball with his hands and prevent a reception. Lee had no drops that i saw at all last year. SJ had several two years in a row. The kind where no one even was close to the ball besides him. In that game Lee had 5 other nice grabs and one dumb mistake where he thought he had it. his toe was an inch from the ground when his facemask got hit, then the ball, straight down the middle of his hands, it was a perfect defensive play. Lee was never physical, but that wasnt a drop.

Lee had awesome hands. very smooth and effortless. he was also a great leaper. He won many a game for us out leaping guys, then catching a tough pass, then running away from everyone for the win. See our jets win against almighty revis in 2006- or 7. either way, lee won that game and many others for us. he was the lone star for several years here in b'lo.

wow really ptr? did you not see that was a pass defended, not a drop? a drop is when a ball hits your hands and then the turf. A pass defended is when a db hits the ball with his hands and prevent a reception. Lee had no drops that i saw at all last year. SJ had several two years in a row. The kind where no one even was close to the ball besides him. In that game Lee had 5 other nice grabs and one dumb mistake where he thought he had it. his toe was an inch from the ground when his facemask got hit, then the ball, straight down the middle of his hands, it was a perfect defensive play. Lee was never physical, but that wasnt a drop.

Lee had awesome hands. very smooth and effortless. he was also a great leaper. He won many a game for us out leaping guys, then catching a tough pass, then running away from everyone for the win. See our jets win against almighty revis in 2006- or 7. either way, lee won that game and many others for us. he was the lone star for several years here in b'lo.

I know what yer sayin about his hands. He made some remarkable catches his first few years as a Bill. In fact, that is one of the first things I noticed about him as a badger right on through his pro-career.

But with that being said, in the big moment you either have the ball in your hands or you don't. He didn't in that instance. Just think, this guy waited over 7 years to even be in that position, and then for that to happen.

I think he's not into it mentally yet and still sees shadows of that moment, probably constant reminders everywhere...

At 31, I wouldn't completely write the guy off...yet...

I disagree, Dawg. I think Lee's age is irrelevant.

Some players have long careers. Some don't.

Peerless Price who is a similar player to Evans lasted 9 years in the NFL but he was pretty much cooked after his 6th season.

http://www.nfl.com/p...2502543/profile

Whether it's physical or mental, some guys have short careers.

Or perhaps to put it better, have a short window of productivity.

Thats a good point and a fair one. I guess I just see a guy who had more talent and was relevant longer than a guy like Price. Thats a matter of point of view or opinion though, so I can see why others may see it differently.

He is just 1 year removed from being a starter and was on his way to being one in Balt before the injury prevented him from being relevant there. So, I just feel like he has something left and the poor guy (I use that loosely as he has a financially rewarding career) has never been in a place to excel to his true ability. He was saddled with terrible coaching, offensive schemes, and most importantly terrible QB's almost his whole career. Yet the guy still produced for a lot of it despite that, where as Price only had a brief stint as being relevant one year with Bledsoe throwing him passes.

So, I have more confidence he will get a shot somewhere else than most because I see him as a guy with a lot more ability, talent, and work ethic than a guy like Price. But thats just my 2 cents...

And count me in the group of people who don't feel he dropped that pass in the AFC championship game as it was a tough catch that was stripped, not dropped. Big difference. But then again, I am not on a mission to prove he wasn't very good like some others seem to be on (not saying you are, referencing other posts).

Good post and it will be interesting to see where his career goes from here.

As far as the play in the end zone against the Cheatriots***, while it was not a drop, I think it can be fairly debated whether he could have done a better job of securing the catch.

Anyways, I always liked Lee and wish him well.

I think I read here that Lee wouldn't always park in the players lot and in fact he used to park at Hammer's Lot and tip a few with the denizens. I might have that wrong but it was something along those lines.

Thats a good point and a fair one. I guess I just see a guy who had more talent and was relevant longer than a guy like Price. Thats a matter of point of view or opinion though, so I can see why others may see it differently.

He is just 1 year removed from being a starter and was on his way to being one in Balt before the injury prevented him from being relevant there. So, I just feel like he has something left and the poor guy (I use that loosely as he has a financially rewarding career) has never been in a place to excel to his true ability. He was saddled with terrible coaching, offensive schemes, and most importantly terrible QB's almost his whole career. Yet the guy still produced for a lot of it despite that, where as Price only had a brief stint as being relevant one year with Bledsoe throwing him passes.

So, I have more confidence he will get a shot somewhere else than most because I see him as a guy with a lot more ability, talent, and work ethic than a guy like Price. But thats just my 2 cents...

And count me in the group of people who don't feel he dropped that pass in the AFC championship game as it was a tough catch that was stripped, not dropped. Big difference. But then again, I am not on a mission to prove he wasn't very good like some others seem to be on (not saying you are, referencing other posts).

No, it was an easy catch which he failed to secure. He played it too soft. That is like saying it is not the RB's fault for fumbling, because someone stripped it. Plenty of receivers make that play with ease every week.

Edited by thebug

Ok. First Lee supporter to reply to this post gets a bet with me for Lees career. I'll be in this for the long haul if needed but of be willing to bet that Lee won't play in another 16 games for the rest of his career. The first one that replies to this post gets a beer if I'm wrong. I won't even ask you for one, that's how certain I am that he's done.

Just to set you straight, look at this play again. See how Evans had the ball in his hands. The defender then attempts to knock the ball loose and it comes out. You focus on the word 'drop'. Fine, even if we not call that a drop, that was clearly a ball which should have been secured quickly. Evans was facing the defender, he knew he was coming and yet did not do enough to hold on to it. This is the difference between physical receivers who will out-duel the defender for the ball and those that are over the hill and can make the cream puff catches only. Lee Evans had good hands once but never superlative. He was not one to consistently win the battle with a defender.

I was a big Evans fan. Here I will admit disagreeing with the Bills front office for trading him without a viable replacement. And yet, here we are with Evans unable to find a roster to hang on to. His legacy forever tainted by the one non-catch which could have made him almost immortal in Ravens-land. And the Bills walked away with a fairly high pick for his declined skills.