Interesting tidbit regarding Wannstedt.

Another note. Some people said that Wanny doesn't like to blitz a lot. In a recent interview, he said he'll be blitzing more than people think he will. :thumbsup:

The design of the defense is that blitzing isn't necessary. That said, they've been practicing blitzing quite a bit in practice recently.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The design of the defense is that blitzing isn't necessary. That said, they've been practicing blitzing quite a bit in practice recently.

There ya go! Although what I'd do is have one player look like he's going to blitz and either do it or go into coverage, to create confusion.

It's a trade. You lose the hands on face to face and the intensity on the sideline.

Where he might catch the x's and o's a little better, he loses the human element a touch. He won't see wide eyes out of a guy overwhelmed or hear the passion in a guy he might feel shaky on.

Really I think this is six of one and a half dozen of the other. As long as the guys comfortable, that's probably your best bet.

I think from up there he can at least say " Don't make me come down there"... It wouldn't sound as cool to say " Don't make me go up there"... But even after that is said, I like coaches being on the field better than in the pressbox... Especially a mustache like that should be seen on the field instead of behind glass...

It's a trade. You lose the hands on face to face and the intensity on the sideline.

Where he might catch the x's and o's a little better, he loses the human element a touch. He won't see wide eyes out of a guy overwhelmed or hear the passion in a guy he might feel shaky on.

Really I think this is six of one and a half dozen of the other. As long as the guys comfortable, that's probably your best bet.

That's why they have a head coach.

Edited by SouthernMan

Good thing I'm not our defensive coordinator cuz my playbook will be only 2 lines of a page long... It will only be 1 play... Blitz everybody except for Sheppard, Aaron Williams, George Wilson, Byrd and Gilmore... Those guys play zone... Everybody else BLITZ....

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Good thing I'm not our defensive coordinator cuz my playbook will be only 2 lines of a page long... It will only be 1 play... Blitz everybody except for Sheppard, Aaron Williams, George Wilson, Byrd and Gilmore... Those guys play zone... Everybody else BLITZ....

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but if I were an OC, I would love to play you every week.

GO BILLS!!!

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but if I were an OC, I would love to play you every week.

GO BILLS!!!

Lol I'm sure you would... That's why it's a good thing I didn't get the job...

In all seriousness though, It's going to be amazing to watch our D this year... If Wanny can't make it work with this group of guys then I guess we're either just cursed or they haven't "jelled" together yet...

He'll be warmer in the winter time.

I don't know how it took this long for that post. One question. Is Wanny not allowed to use a headset in the booth due to the NFL rules? Or is this his decision for different reasons? Also another one gained on the cheatriots! Now they need new video of our plays!

Really that's not the core of what I was talking about at all.

Yeah, fair enough. I was getting off your original point.

I just don't think the DC needs to talk to the personnel all that much during the game with the position coaches around. But your point about looking into a player's eyes to read where his head is at is a good one. You have to hope the position c's are good at that.

I think it's a good thing for the all the reasons posted.

I might've been concerned about the lack of personal sideline contact with the players, but after seeing him practically flying all over the field at training camp in different players' ears between almost every rep, I'm sure the players already know what is expected. Hopefully, they won't need that face to face contact, and if they do, there are players and position coaches to do so. WIlson, Kyle, Barnett, and Kelsay are proven leaders, and word is Dareus and even Sheppard are quite vocal as well.

You nailed it, Flap. These guys will be ready, and we have a ton of leaders on that defense. All of the guys you listed, plus Merriman, Morrison, and Byrd. Basically our entire starting D and some role players, are all leader-type guys. Let the brains of the defense get up in the box and get a better perspective on how to attack the Offense. Love it! Cant wait to see these guys really go at it!!

Edited by DrDareustein

These guys will be ready, and we have a ton of leaders on that defense. All of the guys you listed, plus Merriman, Morrison, and Byrd. Basically our entire starting D and some role players, are all leader-type guys.

One of the things I love about that NFL Films version of the Comeback Game (playoff vs. Houston, 41-38 in OT, for you youngsters who weren't there) is the close-up's of the sideline. You get a great view of the player intensity. Nobody needs coaches to get stirred up. All the coaching talk is adjustments and strategy. Nobody tells Talley or Reid or Reich they have to dig deeper.

That's a big reason I don't think speechifying on the sideline amounts to much. The best players bring it to the game themselves.