Freddy says he is a top 5 running back

I think Foster is a giant product of his offensive system. It's the old Denver one, where rbs are interchangable. It's hard to make one list but if everyone is assumed healthy, it's AP and everyone else. He is one of the most dominant rbs I have ever seen. But FJax definitely merits top 5 consideration esp. because a lot of posters before 2011 told me we had the worst oline in the NFL (which was proven to be complete BS).

I'd agree with you but I also think Foster is a much more complete back than any one of those Denver RBs were (although not as dominating as TD was).

Considering he's not healthy that knocks him down a spot. Sorry but Freddy's much better than MJD in my opinion. Wouldn't even put Gore in the same ranking as Freddy. That's an insult.

Who the hell is talking about fantasy here? You delirious boy stop making things up. After 10 games,lets see how stacks up against the other "top RBs" in the league" last year.

Fred Jackson, 934 yds, 442 yds receiving, 6 TDs (1376 total yds)

MJD - 941 yds, 139 yds receiving, 5 TDs (1080 total yds)

Lesean McCoy - 1019 yds, 198 yds receiving, 11 TDS (1217 total yds)

Adrian Peterson - 944 yds, 125 yds receiving, 12 TDs (1,069 total yds)

Outside of TDs his numbers stack up with the best of the RBs in the game. As of right now my RB rankings go..

Arian Foster

Lesean McCoy

Ray Rice

Fred Jackson

Matt Forte

It doesn't knock him "down." When healthy he's the best hands down. Go look at MJDs roster and show me his support cast.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree with you but I also think Foster is a much more complete back than any one of those Denver RBs were (although not as dominating as TD was).

It doesn't knock him "down." When healthy he's the best hands down. Go look at MJDs roster and show me his support cast.

Yes...but he's not healthy NOW is he? So no he's not better than Fred. That's a career altering injury that he went through and until he proves he's back. He's not better.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

When he's healthy, I think there's no question that he's up there talent wise. However, I would like to see him actually finish in the top-5 for a season before I crown him. I like Fred's blue collar, lunch box mentality to the game. However, I think it's premature to rank him given that he hasn't been consistently on the field.

Yes...but he's not healthy NOW is he? So no he's not better than Fred. That's a career altering injury that he went through and until he proves he's back. He's not better.

To be completely fair, FJax is still returning from a major injury too. It sounds promising but he still has to prove it too.

the dreaded 30 is for RBs who has years of wear and tear. Fred is fresh so I don't want to hear it. Sure he played Arena league for just 2 seasons where RBs are barely even used and NFL Europe but that was just for A YEAR. So I don't wanna hear that garbage about "he's 30." So what. He's the freshest 30 year old RB out there.

People talk like he was getting hit in practice as well in those leagues.

Look...this is not a bash on Freddie......this is a statement that I think CJ Spiller is ready to carry more of the load for this team now.....and between the two of them we need to RUN THE BALL MORE as a team as a whole.......we have this big huge nasty powerful offensive line and we chuck the ball all over the place and dont run the ball on 3rd and short.......

Freddie is gonna get his carries.....somewhee between 18-20 a game sounds right.....but we drafted Spiller for a reason AND he really started to come on at the end of last year.......Im not saying pass the torch.....im saying carry it together.

If Fred can stay healthy AND Coach Gailey conitnues to feed him (the football) he should be this year. I hope he can stay healthy and that Coach Gailey rides him all the way baby! He is our best weapon.

I was at the Eagles game last year and he and Nick Barnett pretty much won that game themselves. It was a beautiful thing seeing Fred get the football on the first 5 plays of the game and punish the Eagle D and move right on down the field.

I would have to throw George Wilson in there too. That was the best game I've seen Wilson play. He was ALL over the place.

L

To be completely fair, FJax is still returning from a major injury too. It sounds promising but he still has to prove it too.

You're comparing a fractured fibula with tearing an ACL AND MCL ligament in the knee? You can't even compare the 2 injuries. You've gotta be kidding me. The fact that Fred's on the field participating in drills now and AP has yet to see the field tells you he's not ready.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

the dreaded 30 is for RBs who has years of wear and tear. Fred is fresh so I don't want to hear it. Sure he played Arena league for just 2 seasons where RBs are barely even used and NFL Europe but that was just for A YEAR. So I don't wanna hear that garbage about "he's 30." So what. He's the freshest 30 year old RB out there.

Guys in their 30s are turning in pretty solid performances in the Olympics. You're right, it's the beating that wears them down and Freddy's taken a relatively light load over his career.

Madden says Freddie isn't even Top 10: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000046912/article/taking-a-peek-at-the-top-10-rbs-in-madden-nfl-13

Past performance matters. The Head has yet to put up the same numbers as other backs in the league. I think Jackson is probably in the Top 5-8 range in terms of expectations for this coming season. But he has to stay healthy, keep putting up big numbers, and help his team win in order to get the respect he deserves.

Madden says Freddie isn't even Top 10: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000046912/article/taking-a-peek-at-the-top-10-rbs-in-madden-nfl-13

Past performance matters. The Head has yet to put up the same numbers as other backs in the league. I think Jackson is probably in the Top 5-8 range in terms of expectations for this coming season. But he has to stay healthy, keep putting up big numbers, and help his team win in order to get the respect he deserves.

I'm curious how they broke down his attributes. He's not the fastest back, but he's fast enough. And he doesn't have Barry Sanders style agility but he is very elusive nonetheless. He's not one to plow through the line but still runs strong and breaks tackles. His hands are excellent, his blocking is superb, and his field awareness is elite. I wonder how well his Madden attributes reflect his skill set.

http://profootballta...5-running-back/

Love the bravado, but you have to back this "chip-on-the-shoulder" act up with a full season and near top of the league all purpose yards from scrimmage. Thurman had the chip, but he also had the yards and longevity. If Freddy stays healthy I think he's a top 5 back, but until then I'll withhold judgement.

RTB

I agree with him. Before he went down he was #1 or #2

At this point in his career, he is definitely top 5.

BUT

Just like our on-paper D, he needs to show it AND have it be an important part to the team actually winning more than losing. He will deserve every accolade he receives from the media and fans.

I am a big FJ fan, but top 5? Seriously, look at this list and tell me how he fits into the top 5. Its easy as a fan to say it, but now prove it. Not saying all these guys are better than him, but throwing out some of the top backs in the league right now (in no particular order) and asking you to pick 5.

F. Jackson

Foster

Peterson

MJD

Forte

Rice

McCoy

McFadden

C Johnson

S. Jackson

Mathews

J. Stewart

D. Williams

Charles

IMO opinion, the top 5 (in no particular order) would be these guys right now:

Rice, Foster, McCoy, Peterson, MJD

Some would argue Forte and McFadden should be in their somewhere too, but I still think those guys have the top 5 on lock down right now.

The next 5 I would put (again, in no particular order)

McFadden, Chris Johnson, Mathews, Forte, Freddy

So, as much as I am a fan of Freddy, I just dont see how you can list him ahead of anyone I put in that top 5 above. Honestly, some people could argue that he isn't in the top 10 and that Stewart (who is a stud but plays in a committee situation) Charles or S Jax could take his place in the top 10. I still have have him in the top 10 personally, probably around 7 or 8, but I could see how someone could argue for some of the other RB's to be ahead of him landing him around 11 or 12. Once you get past the 5th spot it gets much harder to list the next 5.

What about Spiller too? There are people who would argue FJ is no longer the best back on the Bills. I still think FJ narrowly holds the edge on Spiller, but it's close IMO. There are some things Spiller does better and some that FJ does better.

At the end of the day, we are lucky to have Freddy and I am glad he is a Bill along with Spiller as I think we have the 2nd or 3rd best tandem in the league. As much as I love our backfield, the best tandem nod has to be given to Carolina as they have Stewart (a 1500+ yard back every year on any team as the feature runner), Deangelo, Tolbert, and Newton (he counts as part of their ground game too). I think an argument can be made for both us and Chicago (Bush and Forte) as the 2nd best backfield in football.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Do I think he *CAN* be? Yes. He certainly put up the numbers while he was healthy and is a multidimensional back. And, for the most part, I think he is saying this as a way to fire himself up. Last season he had to be hungry to show his dominance as the starter as Spiller was expected to have it. He thrived off that chip on his shoulder, and now that he's the unquestioned starter he needs a different standard.

Will he be? Undoubtedly the question is going to be whether he stays healthy. Our WR corps is still not where we would like it, and while Spiller is going to earn playing time we will likely be an offense which needs his help. If he can, I can certainly think of it as a possibility. If he goes down for any length of time he's going to miss out.

There is no way that Freddy is a top 5 running back in the NFL......he is a top 3 back in the league.

So you would take Freddy over Ray Rice, Foster, McCoy and Peterson? That might be the most homerisitc statement I have seen.

Rice > FJ

Peterson > FJ

McCoy > FJ

Foster > FJ

MJD > FJ (but this one is closer than the other 4).

Again, huge FJ fan, but take off the homer glasses...he isnt top 5 let alone top 3.

Need proof: Top 3 RB's DON't split time their whole career. He couldn't even beat out Lynch when they were both here. Teams who have a top 3 RB in the NFL don't then spend a #9 first round draft pick on a RB when the team has tons of holes.

Freddy is a very good RB, and I love that he is on this team....but he is a very good RB approaching the last year or two of his career. He is not in the top 3 of RB's in this league let alone the top 5. Top 7 or 8 sure, not top 5 or 3.

Being honest, one could argue he is not even the most dangerous RB on this team anymore.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Pretty simple here folks....he was last year until he broke his leg. He was in the early MVP conversation when QB's were putting up video game like numbers. It is no debate, If he gets the touches, produces the same, and stays healthy he will be Top 5 again. People may get scred off by his age and rank others ahead of him, but as far a year goes, he was top 5 last year, sans injury.

So you would take Freddy over Ray Rice, Foster, McCoy and Peterson? That might be the most homerisitc statement I have seen.

Rice > FJ

Peterson > FJ

McCoy > FJ

Foster > FJ

MJD > FJ (but this one is closer than the other 4).

Again, huge FJ fan, but take off the homer glasses...he isnt top 5 let alone top 3.

Need proof: Top 3 RB's DON't split time their whole career. He couldn't even beat out Lynch when they were both here. Teams who have a top 3 RB in the NFL don't then spend a #9 first round draft pick on a RB when the team has tons of holes.

Freddy is a very good RB, and I love that he is on this team....but he is a very good RB approaching the last year or two of his career. He is not in the top 3 of RB's in this league let alone the top 5. Top 7 or 8 sure, not top 5 or 3.

Being honest, one could argue he is not even the most dangerous RB on this team anymore.

Lynch and spiller were first round draft picks, FJ was an arena league walk on who was clearly better/ more productive than lynch but had an idiot coach and subpar OC. It took the new regime all of a month to jettison 'BEAST MODE' in favor of freddy. Just cause he wasn't on the field does not mean he was not better.

Pretty simple here folks....he was last year until he broke his leg. He was in the early MVP conversation when QB's were putting up video game like numbers. It is no debate, If he gets the touches, produces the same, and stays healthy he will be Top 5 again. People may get scred off by his age and rank others ahead of him, but as far a year goes, he was top 5 last year, sans injury.

Lynch and spiller were first round draft picks, FJ was an arena league walk on who was clearly better/ more productive than lynch but had an idiot coach and subpar OC. It took the new regime all of a month to jettison 'BEAST MODE' in favor of freddy. Just cause he wasn't on the field does not mean he was not better.

That same regime had countless hours of game film on FJ and still felt they needed to draft Spiller #9. My point was, if he was truly a top 3 back in the league then that would stand out a little more on film and they wouldnt spend a top 10 draft pick on a team full of holes. Not to mention, the team had already used a high pick on Lynch.

I hate this discussion because it makes me seem like I don't think highly of FJ when I really do. I think he is a very good RB. But I was responding the claim of him not only being top 5, but also top 3. If he is truly at top 3 RB, he would be the feature back most of his career which he has not. Teams with guys like Peterson, Rice, McCoy do not go out and spend a #9 draft pick on another RB, especially with all the holes we had when we drafted Spiller and the fact we already had another high first round RB in Lynch on the roster.

IMHO, FJ falls some where between 7 and 12 in the RB rankings depending on who you talk to (outside of Bills fans). I personally have him at 7, which is great still. I would move him up to 6 if he was 3 years younger, but at this age I just can't put him ahead of McFadden or Forte. And Chris Johnson, Jamall Charles, and Ryan Mathews could potentially push him further down if they turn in the big years they are capable of putting up. At the same time, if FJ can turn in another season like last year he could also move up and take over MJD's spot at 5.

But where it sits today, I think 7 is a very fair spot for him going into the season.