Terrence McGee's days may be numbered in Buffalo

HOUSE

Terrence McGee has been with the Bills since they took him in the fourth round of the 2003 NFL draft, and he's been a very good player in Buffalo, both as a cornerback and as a kickoff returner. But McGee is worried that it may be coming to an end.

McGee still isn't 100 percent healthy after suffering a torn patellar tendon in November, and he says he's concerned that he won't be able to show enough in training camp to demonstrate that he deserves a spot on the 53-man roster.

"That's one of my worries right now, and it was one of my worries in OTAs; will I have enough time to get in here and get right and compete for a job?" McGee told the Democrat and Chronicle. "I can't control it right now, all I can do is go out there and work hard and improve on something."

Although McGee accepted a pay cut and restructured his contract in February, he still looks at the Bills' cornerback depth chart and wonders whether he's good enough to make the team.

"I'm at the back of the line right now," McGee said. "There are guys way in front of me right now."

And McGee is running out of time to catch those guys. McGee's time in Buffalo might be up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/30/terrence-mcgee-worries-about-his-future-in-buffalo/

Edited by HOUSE

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I know everyone probably loves the guy for those years doing his best on a bad team, occasional kick returns for TD, but he is banged up. It's tough in the NFL, but if you physically can't do it anymore, then a better bet is one of the other younger guys. The choice would be crystal clear if mckelvin had better hands. His benefit to special teams and only needing to be a nickel corner most likely supersedes McGee.

I would hate to see TM go only because he's endured so many years of dysfunction without ever making a sound. Unfortunately, he can't stay healthy. He's almost like Kelsay but with a few more career sacks.

It would be sad if he's gone. He's the best CB we've had in over a decade. I don't think hes anything like Kelsey. TM was a top CB whos skills have eroded with time and injury. Kelsey is a guy who has marginal or modest skill who will stay on the roster a few years longer than his skills would indicate because he is surrounded by far better players.

Terrence McGee has been with the Bills since they took him in the fourth round of the 2003 NFL draft, and he's been a very good player in Buffalo, both as a cornerback and as a kickoff returner. But McGee is worried that it may be coming to an end.

McGee still isn't 100 percent healthy after suffering a torn patellar tendon in November, and he says he's concerned that he won't be able to show enough in training camp to demonstrate that he deserves a spot on the 53-man roster.

"That's one of my worries right now, and it was one of my worries in OTAs; will I have enough time to get in here and get right and compete for a job?" McGee told the Democrat and Chronicle. "I can't control it right now, all I can do is go out there and work hard and improve on something."

Although McGee accepted a pay cut and restructured his contract in February, he still looks at the Bills' cornerback depth chart and wonders whether he's good enough to make the team.

"I'm at the back of the line right now," McGee said. "There are guys way in front of me right now."

And McGee is running out of time to catch those guys. McGee's time in Buffalo might be up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/30/terrence-mcgee-worries-about-his-future-in-buffalo/

thanks for cut and pasting the article on two bills drive that we all saw.

I know everyone probably loves the guy for those years doing his best on a bad team, occasional kick returns for TD, but he is banged up. It's tough in the NFL, but if you physically can't do it anymore, then a better bet is one of the other younger guys. The choice would be crystal clear if mckelvin had better hands. His benefit to special teams and only needing to be a nickel corner most likely supersedes McGee.

+1 but put it this way, if one of our other cb's goes down to injury, (which always happens) now youre down to mckelvin or rogers as your starter(shiver) if you let mcgee stay he should be good by midseason, and we all keep hearing how you can never have enough corners. I say keep mcgee no matter what, as insurance and because hes a great Bill.

+1 but put it this way, if one of our other cb's goes down to injury, (which always happens) now youre down to mckelvin or rogers as your starter(shiver) if you let mcgee stay he should be good by midseason, and we all keep hearing how you can never have enough corners. I say keep mcgee no matter what, as insurance and because hes a great Bill.

What makes you think Mcgee will be healthy by midseason? He has not been healthy in 3 years. Good player who outperformed his draft status but the writing is on the wall. His time is up. Too many good young prospects at corner on this team. I will be shocked if he makes this roster.

I was at the game in Miami last year and when it became apparent it was a serious injury I said that's the last time we'll probably see T McGee on the field in a Bills uni. What a shame. Easily one of the best and one of my favorite players over this decade plus of crap Bills football.

He was always a true professional and made tons of huge plays especially early in his career. It's a cruel game in that he's suffered through all this dysfunction, and now when seemingly on the cusp of turning it around he can't be part if it.

I know it's a longshot and I'm pulling for him, but it just seems like his body just can't do it right now. Hope I'm wrong but if I'm not, thanks T McGee! Your jersey is one that WON'T go to the back of my closet!

Obviously I didn't see it an neither did a lot of people, geeez, have your coffee yet? ...:flirt:

Edited by HOUSE

It would be sad if he's gone. He's the best CB we've had in over a decade. I don't think hes anything like Kelsey. TM was a top CB whos skills have eroded with time and injury. Kelsey is a guy who has marginal or modest skill who will stay on the roster a few years longer than his skills would indicate because he is surrounded by far better players.

Obviously you didn't pick up my sarcasm Weo. Give me some credit!

Ok. I can't hold it anymore. It seems that there are some people (some in this thread) that love to use the term "best CB when healthy". It's crap. He isn't. He's old. Slow. ALWAYS injured so it doesn't matter anyway. McGee is not only not as good as Williams or Gilmore right now, at his best he was never as good as Gilmore. At practice right now Gilmore is amazing. By the start of the season he will show why hs is the shutdown corner in this team for many years to come.

Last year McGee got injured on opening kickoff. Hebcame back for what, 1 game and was injured again. I also saw him leaving the field on that golf cart and said "goodbye Terrance".

I seem to have this feeling that Terrance said he was healthy when he took that restructure. Apparently hebosnt healed yet from his November injury? What?!? It sounds like he lied to the Bills to me. Not that these things don't happen but it sounds funny to me. If he did fib a bit I think he's as good as gone because I feel they let go of Florance because they thought they could count on McGee. Oh who am I kidding, nobody has counte on McGee in years.

I liked the guy when he was good and healthy but he hasn't in years. He's not that fast anymore even when he is healthy and we should have seen this coming years ago. I said it at the time that we should have extended Greer and traded McGee for a box of slim jims and a case of yoohoos. When your in a position of making future descisions for your team you always go with youth if the talent is even close. And that's why he will probably be gone. If he makes the cut, it will be as the 6th CB.

That's eball's job. Just waiting for the Lackawanna Times Picayune to feature Kelsay.

You just wait; the Amherst Bee is running a two-page spread. Bumped the rec soccer league results to page 4.

I dont remember the exact rules for PUP (ie can you have participated in camp) or mcgees eligibility (has he participated in anything that rules him out) but he might be a perfect candidate for sitting out september and making a decision at midseason. give him a little rest, see how injuries in the secondary shake out, and go from there without eating up the roster spot.