Terrence McGee's days may be numbered in Buffalo

HOUSE

I used to love watching McGee return kicks.. man he was good.

Truth.

I don't care to debate where he fits on the roster now. We don't need him anymore, and it's a damn shame his body's as fragile as it is.

But when he was in his prime...WOW.

If this conversation be added to the digital record, let it center around everything the guy did for a team that did him no favors in return.

Was always a big fan, always will be.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If this conversation be added to the digital record, let it center around everything the guy did for a team that did him no favors in return.

I agree with the fact that when he was healthy he was very good to great. But it's not like he played for free. Saying the team did him no favors is suspect considering the millions he's made. I'd say he's recieved free money over the last 3-4 years when he hasn't played more than a few games a year yet collected millions.

He was great tho.

I agree with the fact that when he was healthy he was very good to great. But it's not like he played for free. Saying the team did him no favors is suspect considering the millions he's made. I'd say he's recieved free money over the last 3-4 years when he hasn't played more than a few games a year yet collected millions.

He was great tho.

Except professional athletes are possessed competitors. One could argue him and Clements were the only gamers on the roster for quite some time. He gave it all on game day, and for naught.

What makes you think Mcgee will be healthy by midseason? He has not been healthy in 3 years. Good player who outperformed his draft status but the writing is on the wall. His time is up. Too many good young prospects at corner on this team. I will be shocked if he makes this roster.

same could be said for merriman and easley, why are they on the roster? Past injuries dont mean a guy is "done" jerry rice got injured late in his career and came back to have another 5 years or so of production as did many others. If Mcgee is used sparingly he might play2-3 more years for us, Id rather have him than mckelvin.

putill say again, if one of our other cb's goes down to injury, (which always happens) now youre down to mckelvin or rogers as your starter(shiver) if you let mcgee stay he should be good by midseason, and we all keep hearing how you can never have enough corners. I say keep mcgee no matter what, as insurance and because hes a great Bill.

I used to love watching McGee return kicks.. man he was good.

I never thought he was just good. I thought he was great. Dude could stop and turn on a dime. We have no one close to his skills when he was in his prime.

Smith doesn't even have the stones to attempt to take it out of the end zone.

To me, the concerns are a moot point. If he's not ready to start the season, they could just put him on the PUP list until he recovers. As many have said, until Gilmore and Williams show us anything in real game situations, McGee is still the defacto best cornerback on this team. He could very well be needed if anyone gets hurt for any measurable amount of time.

To me, the concerns are a moot point. If he's not ready to start the season, they could just put him on the PUP list until he recovers. As many have said, until Gilmore and Williams show us anything in real game situations, McGee is still the defacto best cornerback on this team. He could very well be needed if anyone gets hurt for any measurable amount of time.

has he taken a snap at practice though? or anything that would qualify him as participating?

like i said before, i think once he participates in camp PUP is a no-go.

otherwise, hed be a perfect candidate. if its a lingering issue from last year and we screwed that up, id be disappointed. we will see though.

I know it's just Wikipedia but here's a decent explanation of the PUP. Has McGee taken the field for practice at all? Does riding a bike on the sidelines constitute taking the field for practice?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_Unable_to_Perform

He was such a classy guy, I’d really like him to be able to be a member of a playoff team at least once. It’s hard to say what his skill level is right now because we haven’t seen him healthy for so long.

Except professional athletes are possessed competitors. One could argue him and Clements were the only gamers on the roster for quite some time. He gave it all on game day, and for naught.

It wasn't for naught. He got paid. It's a job. He made millions and he hasn't played in many games in the last 3-4 years. He's basically stolen millions from the Bills. I agrees that he was good to great in his prime but he hasn't been even close to that in at least 3 years. I'm just sick of people saying "when he's healthy he's the best CB on the roster". He's not even close and that's if he was healthy. Williams and Gilmore are both better right now. Then there's the whole issue that McGee can't make it past an opening kickoff without getting injured for 3-6 weeks.

I like him man. I wish him well and IF he makes the team I'm hoping we make the playoffs and he's able to be a part of it. But at the same time if we keep guys like him on the roster and they constantly get injured and cause us issues with depth then we might never make the postseason.

McGee has probably been my favorit Bill over the last decade.

Check out McGee in the Giants game last year when he had 11 solo tackles and 2 passed defended:

NFL.com Game Center Highlights

Check him out at the 1:10 and 2:15 marks.

Yes, I cherry-picked this by going to a game where he had good stats. But, I just wanted to add to this thread that he was playing well less than a year ago. Yes he's still recovering, but he may not be "done" yet.

Terrence McGee has been with the Bills since they took him in the fourth round of the 2003 NFL draft, and he's been a very good player in Buffalo, both as a cornerback and as a kickoff returner. But McGee is worried that it may be coming to an end.

McGee still isn't 100 percent healthy after suffering a torn patellar tendon in November, and he says he's concerned that he won't be able to show enough in training camp to demonstrate that he deserves a spot on the 53-man roster.

"That's one of my worries right now, and it was one of my worries in OTAs; will I have enough time to get in here and get right and compete for a job?" McGee told the Democrat and Chronicle. "I can't control it right now, all I can do is go out there and work hard and improve on something."

Although McGee accepted a pay cut and restructured his contract in February, he still looks at the Bills' cornerback depth chart and wonders whether he's good enough to make the team.

"I'm at the back of the line right now," McGee said. "There are guys way in front of me right now."

And McGee is running out of time to catch those guys. McGee's time in Buffalo might be up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/30/terrence-mcgee-worries-about-his-future-in-buffalo/

Sure hope not. His leadership could definitely be an asset to the younger guys, even if he plays Nickel or Dime...

It wasn't for naught. He got paid. It's a job. He made millions and he hasn't played in many games in the last 3-4 years. He's basically stolen millions from the Bills. I agrees that he was good to great in his prime but he hasn't been even close to that in at least 3 years. I'm just sick of people saying "when he's healthy he's the best CB on the roster". He's not even close and that's if he was healthy. Williams and Gilmore are both better right now. Then there's the whole issue that McGee can't make it past an opening kickoff without getting injured for 3-6 weeks.

I like him man. I wish him well and IF he makes the team I'm hoping we make the playoffs and he's able to be a part of it. But at the same time if we keep guys like him on the roster and they constantly get injured and cause us issues with depth then we might never make the postseason.

McGee was the #1 CB last year. When he was healthy and in games, he was matched up with the #1 WR's from other teams. Williams wasn't, and Gilmore was still in college.

Sure, Williams and Gilmore have more natural talent and are younger...but that doesn't CURRENTLY make them better CB's than a healthy McGee. There's more to being a good CB than simply measurables like size and speed.

I hope Gailey and The Stache have more patience with McGee's health situation than the fans, because (to me, at least) the huge upside of having him back justifies the extra roster spot.

Ok. I can't hold it anymore. It seems that there are some people (some in this thread) that love to use the term "best CB when healthy". It's crap. He isn't. He's old. Slow. ALWAYS injured so it doesn't matter anyway. McGee is not only not as good as Williams or Gilmore right now, at his best he was never as good as Gilmore. At practice right now Gilmore is amazing. By the start of the season he will show why hs is the shutdown corner in this team for many years to come.

Last year McGee got injured on opening kickoff. Hebcame back for what, 1 game and was injured again. I also saw him leaving the field on that golf cart and said "goodbye Terrance".

I seem to have this feeling that Terrance said he was healthy when he took that restructure. Apparently hebosnt healed yet from his November injury? What?!? It sounds like he lied to the Bills to me. Not that these things don't happen but it sounds funny to me. If he did fib a bit I think he's as good as gone because I feel they let go of Florance because they thought they could count on McGee. Oh who am I kidding, nobody has counte on McGee in years.

I liked the guy when he was good and healthy but he hasn't in years. He's not that fast anymore even when he is healthy and we should have seen this coming years ago. I said it at the time that we should have extended Greer and traded McGee for a box of slim jims and a case of yoohoos. When your in a position of making future descisions for your team you always go with youth if the talent is even close. And that's why he will probably be gone. If he makes the cut, it will be as the 6th CB.

Ok. I can't hold it anymore.
Hope you were able to relieve yourself.

I seem to have this feeling that Terrance said he was healthy when he took that restructure. Apparently hebosnt healed yet from his November injury? What?!? It sounds like he lied to the Bills to me.

Really?!I'm having a hard time believing that the Bills just took his word on the fact the he's healthy without xrays or MRI's or any other tests.

McGee was the #1 CB last year. When he was healthy and in games, he was matched up with the #1 WR's from other teams. Williams wasn't, and Gilmore was still in college.

Sure, Williams and Gilmore have more natural talent and are younger...but that doesn't CURRENTLY make them better CB's than a healthy McGee. There's more to being a good CB than simply measurables like size and speed.

I hope Gailey and The Stache have more patience with McGee's health situation than the fans, because (to me, at least) the huge upside of having him back justifies the extra roster spot.

I clearly disagree with you and so does Chan and Buddy considering they have drafted 2 CBs in the first 2 rounds in the last 2 years and then another 2 in later rounds. He is practicing now but is playing with the 2nd teamers not the 1st. He hasn't been healthy and been able to be counted on in over 3-4 years. He shouldn't have gotten his contract renewed years ago and hebshouldbhave been let go instead of Greer who is now one of the better and more reliable CBs in the league.

I loved him when he was good, but at some point as fans we need to give up on some of these older players and injured players that have proven that they can't be on the field on a constant basis.

With that said I hope Merriman and Easley make the team and have monster years. ;-)

Hope you were able to relieve yourself.

Really?!I'm having a hard time believing that the Bills just took his word on the fact the he's healthy without xrays or MRI's or any other tests.

Yup. Relieved myself just fine.

I never said that McGee never hadRIs or XRays. Of course you can pass examinations by doctors but not be 100%. He knows his own body and would know if he's hurt more than way the doctors show or not and vice versa. Besides the fact that everyone has different levels of pain.

However I find it very odd that he's injured already and taking it easy in practice (and if you haven't been ther you have no idea what your talking about, but I've seen it first hand and so have others on this board, Jay will back me up on it) and were only 1 week into camp and when I saw him it was just a few days of pads with no major contact. He's on his way out. He's on the wring side of 30 and he's had injury issues for years.

I guess I only get so upset about the McGee issue because saw this coming years ago when we should have extended Greer an let Terrance walk or trade him when he had some value.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Enjoy watching an old washed up CB that can't hang with young WRs or stay on the field.

I clearly disagree with you and so does Chan and Buddy considering they have drafted 2 CBs in the first 2 rounds in the last 2 years and then another 2 in later rounds. He is practicing now but is playing with the 2nd teamers not the 1st. He hasn't been healthy and been able to be counted on in over 3-4 years. He shouldn't have gotten his contract renewed years ago and hebshouldbhave been let go instead of Greer who is now one of the better and more reliable CBs in the league.

I loved him when he was good, but at some point as fans we need to give up on some of these older players and injured players that have proven that they can't be on the field on a constant basis.

With that said I hope Merriman and Easley make the team and have monster years. ;-)

McGee is not playing with the starters because HE IS STILL NOT 100% HEALTHY. You're delusional and blinded by your creepy McGee hate if you think a fully healthy McGee on opening day wouldn't be responsible for other teams' #1 WR.

McGee is not playing with the starters because HE IS STILL NOT 100% HEALTHY. You're delusional and blinded by your creepy McGee hate if you think a fully healthy McGee on opening day wouldn't be responsible for other teams' #1 WR.

Umm, I'm not so sure about that. Even when he was healthy last season you could see that we has slowing down a bit. It is unfortunate, but it happens. CB relies heavily on speed, and Gilmore is pretty much a lock at this point. I would like him to make the team, but I highly doubt he would be tagging the #1 reciever.

I don't get it. He's healthy enough to practice but he's not healthy enough to play with the 1st teams? WTF!!!! Makes no sense. And no I don't think he would be responsible for the teams #1 WR if he even makes it to the regular season without having another injury that coats him 6-8 weeks. I only have a "creepy hatred" for McGee because so many people have an unconditional love for thier "favorite" players. He's not that good anymore. Get over it.