Moving to DC. Need some housing advice

stevestojan

I got a new position at work and I'll be moving to Washington DC area in the next month or so. I have work helping me with the move but would love some recommendations.

My work is actually in Chevy Chase MD.

The obvious issue is that if I want to live directly in DC the price per square foot is absurd. But I will only be there for 2 years max so part of me says screw it, live in the city.

That said, friends and co-workers have me narrowed down to the following: Alexandria, Arlington, Bethesda, and Rockville.

What we are looking for is to be close to good food and entertainment but also close to public transit. I know nothing about the "red line" but have heard Rockville is nice but it is "the second last stop on the redline."

I would like to keep in a budget of < $2100/mo and would really prefer 2 bedrooms. We are open to rental houses or apartments. I tell you those details so those that know these area can have a point of reference.

Any help is appreciated.

I got a new position at work and I'll be moving to Washington DC area in the next month or so. I have work helping me with the move but would love some recommendations.

The obvious issue is that if I want to live directly in DC the price per square foot is absurd. But I will only be there for 2 years max so part of me says screw it, live in the city.

That said, friends and co-workers have me narrowed down to the following: Alexandria, Arlington, Bethesda, and Rockville.

What we are looking for is to be close to good food and entertainment but also close to public transit. I know nothing about the "red line" but have heard Rockville is nice but it is "the second last stop on the redline."

I would like to keep in a budget of < $2100/mo and would really prefer 2 bedrooms. We are open to rental houses or apartments. I tell you those details so those that know these area can have a point of reference.

Any help is appreciated.

I'd definitely give Rosslyn a look. Or the crystal city area. Alexandria is okay as we'll, but rather far to Chevy chase.

Any help is appreciated.

I suggest the Rockville/Gaithersburg area. Probably most convenient in your budget.

In fact, I know a house that'll be going on the market shortly before you arrive. Mine, actually...since now I have to move. :ph34r:

Southeast DC is the bomb. :thumbsup:

Joking? Because I've recently visited the SW quadrant not far from Nationals stadium, just south of the Mall by a few blocks. It looked pretty nice and I saw 1B condos for less than $180K. And you are blocks from a Metro stop.

PTR

Stojj

Assume you are working right off Wisconsin Ave. I would take VA completely out of the equation...taking the train everyday and having to transfer at Metro Center iwill get old quickly, especially if you are working some what normal hours and commuting at normal rush hours.

I know if it was me, I would look at someplace in Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Chevy Chase DC , Tenleytown,Cathedral Heights, Cleveland Park , Adams Morgan areas.You will have to adjust your expectations, coming from Buffalo and than Va.Beach. Enjoy this city while you are here, it is fantastic ..best in the world in my mind. Just my opinion, but if you live outside the beltway, you will not get in the city as much...and let's face it a suburb in DC is the same as a suburb in Philly, and the same as as one in Iowa City and the same in Seatlle, and for that matter Buffalo.

Also don't forget for public transit buses are also part of the Metro network...so don't rule out places on\near bus line as well.

PM me if you want to discuss.

Edited by plenzmd1

Stojj

Assume you are working right off Wisconsin Ave. I would take VA completely out of the equation...taking the train everyday and having to transfer at Metro Center iwill get old quickly, especially if you are working some what normal hours and commuting at normal rush hours.

I know if it was me, I would look at someplace in Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Chevy Chase DC , Tenleytown,Cathedral Heights, Cleveland Park , Adams Morgan areas.You will have to adjust your expectations, coming from Buffalo and than Va.Beach. Enjoy this city while you are here, it is fantastic ..best in the world in my mind. Just my opinion, but if you live outside the beltway, you will not get in the city as much...and let's face it a suburb in DC is the same as a suburb in Philly, and the same as as one in Iowa City and the same in Seatlle, and for that matter Buffalo.

Also don't forget for public transit buses are also part of the Metro network...so don't rule out places on\near bus line as well.

Good advice. Do NOT live in Virginia. Try to live close to work, or at least on a no-hassle metroline. If not downtown, then live near a bus/metro line that could get you there. It's hard to run out of things to do in DC.

great piece of advice about transportation systems, buses are a great(and inexpensive) alternative when a subway or regional rail aren't readily available. I use all methods in Philly, i take the bus everyday to work, but use regional rail and subway when I am heading out for the evening.

Stojj

Joking? Because I've recently visited the SW quadrant not far from Nationals stadium, just south of the Mall by a few blocks. It looked pretty nice and I saw 1B condos for less than $180K. And you are blocks from a Metro stop.

PTR

Metro wouldn't help much if you had to travel from SW to NW. You would have to go into DC to make the turn back out to Chevy Chase.

NW DC including Chevy Chase is very expensive. It's also very OLD. Small lots, big trees, mostly pre 40's houses, limited parking etc. A lot of the old houses have been modernized and they are very expensive.

Virginia is not a real option because, heading NW, there are no bridges across the Potomac.

If Metro is important, get a metro map and see how far it runs into the Rockville/Gaithersburg, and beyond into MD. Considering your budget, that's the likely direction to look for a place to live.

Just remember, some people that work in DC drive as far N as Gettysburg PA. and as far S as Fredericksburg VA. because they can't afford the DC area.

PTR

Yeah, It was a joke. SE DC is a real stojan hole.

Don't cross the Anacostia.

When he was about 18 my brother went to DC for a student conference. He left the WH & accidentally headed SE on PA ave. Next thing you know there's a skinny white kid in a tie in the middle of one of the roughest areas of DC catching awfully strange looks from the locals. He saw a cab and in a near panic asked a cab driver where he was. An older black lady getting out of the cab looked at him like he was crazy & told him, with a great sense of urgency, that he needed to get out of there & to get in the cab. He told her he didn't have any money on him but she said not to worry, gave the cabbie some money & told him to get him to the NW right away.

When he was about 18 my brother went to DC for a student conference. He left the WH & accidentally headed SE on PA ave. Next thing you know there's a skinny white kid in a tie in the middle of one of the roughest areas of DC catching awfully strange looks from the locals. He saw a cab and in a near panic asked a cab driver where he was. An older black lady getting out of the cab looked at him like he was crazy & told him, with a great sense of urgency, that he needed to get out of there & to get in the cab. He told her he didn't have any money on him but she said not to worry, gave the cabbie some money & told him to get him to the NW right away.

When I first got here, my first week working near Union Station I would walk around and explore during lunch. One day I started walking down a street (I think it was F Street) and didn't get three steps before a complete stranger stopped me and told me I didn't want to go any farther. "Because you'll get killed."

That area's safer since - it's become gentrified, lots of upper-crust politicos have town houses in that area, and lots of the crime crossed the Anacostia into PG County as a result. But no doubt, it was scary as hell back then.

When I first got here, my first week working near Union Station I would walk around and explore during lunch. One day I started walking down a street (I think it was F Street) and didn't get three steps before a complete stranger stopped me and told me I didn't want to go any farther. "Because you'll get killed."

That area's safer since - it's become gentrified, lots of upper-crust politicos have town houses in that area, and lots of the crime crossed the Anacostia into PG County as a result. But no doubt, it was scary as hell back then.

This would have been about 10 years ago. I still get a little freaked out just thinking about it.

A couple of weeks ago, I took my son to watch the Goodman League in the Berry Farms Dwellings in SE DC (a few blocks from the Anacostia stop): Goodman League

Great basketball and you never know who (NBA, ex-NBA, College, etc.) might appear. We were the only caucasians at the game & due to that were welcomed by Miles Rawls (commissioner & announcer) over the mike. The games ended about 10:00 and we had no issues going/coming or at the games. We had a great time and saw some amazing ball.

Edited by Mr Info

that is pretty awesome...i have wanted to go out to some playgrounds in philly to watch similar games!

A couple of weeks ago, I took my son to watch the Goodman League in the Berry Farms Dwellings in SE DC (a few blocks from the Anacostia stop): Goodman League

Great basketball and you never know who (NBA, ex-NBA, College, etc.) might appear. We were the only caucasians at the game & due to that were welcomed by Miles Rawls (commissioner & announcer) over the mike. The games ended about 10:00 and we had no issues going/coming or at the games. We had a great time and saw some amazing ball.

SE is gentrifying just like the NE..but damn , Berry Farms is some hard core chit dude!!! Thats awesome you went..and MD or Geeorgetown players there? Has Durant played there?

I would have told Steve to look at Atlas District as well in NE..wasteland 5 years ago..very hip and coll now.But the commute would still be bit of a B word..even if reverse.

Any help is appreciated.

My daughter lives on 4th St NE and her rent for a townhouse is in your budget. She formerly lived in an apartment in Columbia Heights (right above a Metro station); lots of places to rent there and it's a great location if you'll only be there a couple years.

I think you'll love DC! Just ask DC Tom. ;)