Tim Graham's "Press Coverage" blog

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/07/chan-gailey-calls-depth-not-even-close-to-2010.html

"… but where Gailey truly lit up was on the subject of roster depth. "Not even close," Gailey said. "Buddy and I laugh from time to time. It's a good laugh.

"We were trying to find 53 players that we thought could help us win that first year. This year we may have to let some good football players go that we wouldn't even have thought about [releasing] two years ago."

These were the final cuts in Gailey's first season as Head Coach:

Quarterback Levi Brown, running backs Joique Bell, Andre Anderson and Chad Simpson; offensive linemen Kirk Chambers, Nick Hennessey, Christian Gaddis, Andre Ramsey, Jason Watkins and Sean Allen; defensive end Rashaad Duncan; linebacker Donovan Woods.

Again, these were the final cuts.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The D line and o-line cuts this team makes are gonna be snatched up quickly by the rest of the NFL. I'm sure teams will be watching the Bills pre season tape closely.

For a change the rest of the NFL will be picking through our trash.

Those camp battles are gonna be tight.

2 years ago who would have thought that the lines would be an area of strength and depth?

Edited by Why So Serious?

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/07/chan-gailey-calls-depth-not-even-close-to-2010.html

"… but where Gailey truly lit up was on the subject of roster depth. "Not even close," Gailey said. "Buddy and I laugh from time to time. It's a good laugh.

"We were trying to find 53 players that we thought could help us win that first year. This year we may have to let some good football players go that we wouldn't even have thought about [releasing] two years ago."

Quarterback Levi Brown, running backs Joique Bell, Andre Anderson and Chad Simpson; offensive linemen Kirk Chambers, Nick Hennessey, Christian Gaddis, Andre Ramsey, Jason Watkins and Sean Allen; defensive end Rashaad Duncan; linebacker Donovan Woods.

There shouldn't be any excuses then to not make the playoffs. If Gailey can't do it with this squad, then it may be time to reevaluate him.

There shouldn't be any excuses then to not make the playoffs. If Gailey can't do it with this squad, then it may be time to reevaluate him.

I would generally agree with this however.... Having the Pats in our division and the rest of the AFC looking strong we could lose out after a 10-6 season. I'm not saying we will but we could. The Pats could go 12-4 and eliminate us from the sure thing. Then we have to hope for a wild card. The Ravens could win thier division but the Bengals and Steelers both could have 10 win seasons. The Broncos could win thier division (if Payton is really back) and the Chiefs and Chargers could both have 10 win seasons. The Texans will win thier division but the Titans could suprise people and possibly post a 9-10 win season. And we can't forget about the Jets either.

I agree generally but it can't be playoffs or bust for me. They could potentially have 10 wins and not make it. I can't say of be overly happy about it but at least I know Chan is getting it done. That's all

I would generally agree with this however.... Having the Pats in our division and the rest of the AFC looking strong we could lose out after a 10-6 season. I'm not saying we will but we could. The Pats could go 12-4 and eliminate us from the sure thing. Then we have to hope for a wild card. The Ravens could win thier division but the Bengals and Steelers both could have 10 win seasons. The Broncos could win thier division (if Payton is really back) and the Chiefs and Chargers could both have 10 win seasons. The Texans will win thier division but the Titans could suprise people and possibly post a 9-10 win season. And we can't forget about the Jets either.

I agree generally but it can't be playoffs or bust for me. They could potentially have 10 wins and not make it. I can't say of be overly happy about it but at least I know Chan is getting it done. That's all

mrags, you're got too many ten win teams there. They'll be playing each other. I've said this umpteen times already, but if the Bills win ten I will almost guarantee they get in, as long as they finish ahead of the Jets. Ten wins will be better than the third place team in the North, and the second place teams in the South and West (who play much tougher cross-conference schedules).

Afc isn't as tough as it used to be. Texans, Patriots and ravens are the only two teams that I am almost positive will have a better record than the bills. Any other team in the afc east I say the bills have a somewhat decent shot to beat out in the win record. Teams like the raiders, chargers, steelers, and chiefs are tricky, but at this point I think our chance is just as good as theirs. The only 3 that I see really competing to win the afc are Houston, ravens, and pats*.

The D line and o-line cuts this team makes are gonna be snatched up quickly by the rest of the NFL. I'm sure teams will be watching the Bills pre season tape closely.

2 years ago who would have thought that the lines would be an area of strength and depth?

Isn't a great feeling?

mrags, you're got too many ten win teams there. They'll be playing each other. I've said this umpteen times already, but if the Bills win ten I will almost guarantee they get in, as long as they finish ahead of the Jets. Ten wins will be better than the third place team in the North, and the second place teams in the South and West (who play much tougher cross-conference schedules).

Agreed, 10 is the magic number 9 times out of 10 in the recent AFC.

Afc isn't as tough as it used to be. Texans, Patriots and ravens are the only two teams that I am almost positive will have a better record than the bills. Any other team in the afc east I say the bills have a somewhat decent shot to beat out in the win record. Teams like the raiders, chargers, steelers, and chiefs are tricky, but at this point I think our chance is just as good as theirs. The only 3 that I see really competing to win the afc are Houston, ravens, and pats*.

Ravens are a mess this year - they are in serious risk of not making the playoffs.

I am a big admirer of their organization down here - but we shouldn't just pencil them in based on history.

Suggs is broken and Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are both really old. They also lost talent on the OL, and Flacco has a cannon-arm, but not the greatest accuracy. If Upshaw plays big he could replace some of Suggs, but pre-draft Upshaw looked like a guy without an NFL position to me.

Joique Bell was the only guy I was disappointed to see go, only because he had been so productive in college (2,000 yards his senior year as I recall). And even Bell has done nothing since the Bills cut him. It will be very interesting to see who goes in the last couple cuts.

Agreed. 10 wins is all you can ask for. If you win 10 and don't make the playoffs, it's simply bad luck. Here's the recent number of 10 win teams in NFL by conference. The vast majority of the time, 10 wins gets you in the playoffs. In fact, 50% of the time a team with 9 or fewer wins makes the playoffs.

Year - AFC, NFC

2011 - 4, 5

2010 - 6, 7

2009 - 4, 6

2008 - 6, 4

2007 - 7, 4

2006 - 5, 3

2005 - 7, 6

2004 - 6, 3

Ravens are a mess this year - they are in serious risk of not making the playoffs.

I am a big admirer of their organization down here - but we shouldn't just pencil them in based on history.

Suggs is broken and Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are both really old. They also lost talent on the OL, and Flacco has a cannon-arm, but not the greatest accuracy. If Upshaw plays big he could replace some of Suggs, but pre-draft Upshaw looked like a guy without an NFL position to me.

Agreed.

They are the type of team who will be going through team cuts to try to bandaid their hemorrhages. They let guys like Dwan Edwards go just to keep Suggs, Lewis and Reed. They let go the guys that made the foundation of their team just to keep the cornerstones. You can only get by on this so long before implosions start, and in their case Suggs was just unfortunate.

Ravens will finish 3rd in their division, disappointing many.

Agreed......but...I am not so sure we have THAT much depth on our O-line to get overly excited about. What great talent is really getting cut on the O-line. I think we should make the playoffs this year....but overall talent is probably another year away. Just my .02

I would still suggest that it's the case. Agree that the division is the Pats' for the taking for as long as Brady is on the team for at least the next two or three seasons. The West is weak tho as is the South. Houston's the strongest team there and they only won 10 games last season. That essentially leaves the North, and yes, Pitt and the Ravens are good, but after that, if we can't edge Cincy for a WC spot, then my original point stands.

Also, we play the West, and other than for Denver w/ Manning now, if this team is really that good should be able to beat the other three teams. We play Cleveland and Jax, 'nuff said there.

Apart from Ne, Pitt, Baltimore, and Denver, the schedule's not tough, and if we can't beat any of those teams at least once or twice, I'm not sure how much of a playoff ready team this would be then.

Make sense?