Mr Businessman, You Didn't Build Your Business

No, you're missing the point. If Europe was ruled by a central authoritarian government, rather than independent countries loosely unified under the EU, it could just confiscate all the money the rich people stole from the peasants and then everyone would be living high on the hog.

Worked for Russia...or would have, if the Nazis hadn't invaded. And who financed the Nazi party? Prescott Bush.

Yep...it's Bush's fault.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the White House is worried about this "gaffe"

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/07/obama-to-run-ads-pushing-back-on-you-didnt-build-that-129955.html

President Obama, who's gotten a lot of strife from the Romney campaign and national Republicans in the last week for his "you didn't build that" comment, is launching a new swing-state TV ad to push back on the criticism.

Per the White House pool report this afternoon:

"[Obama campaign press secretary Jen] Psaki began by showing a new 30-second television ad being launched by the Obama campaign in six states, featuring the president speaking direct to camera answering the “you didn’t build that” attacks by Gov. Romney. The six states: Iowa, North Carolina, Florida, Ohio, Nevada, Virginia. Told the campaign will send out shortly.

Psaki: We are not going to stand by while Mitt Romney slices and dices and deliberately takes out of context the president’s remarks on businesses."

For the Obama campaign to address the comment directly, they must think it's starting to leave a mark. And this is the kind of pushback the campaign had planned on delivering late last week, when the Colorado shooting put politics temporarily on hold.

Looks like the White House is worried about this "gaffe"

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/07/obama-to-run-ads-pushing-back-on-you-didnt-build-that-129955.html

President Obama, who's gotten a lot of strife from the Romney campaign and national Republicans in the last week for his "you didn't build that" comment, is launching a new swing-state TV ad to push back on the criticism.

Per the White House pool report this afternoon:

"[Obama campaign press secretary Jen] Psaki began by showing a new 30-second television ad being launched by the Obama campaign in six states, featuring the president speaking direct to camera answering the “you didn’t build that” attacks by Gov. Romney. The six states: Iowa, North Carolina, Florida, Ohio, Nevada, Virginia. Told the campaign will send out shortly.

Psaki: We are not going to stand by while Mitt Romney slices and dices and deliberately takes out of context the president’s remarks on businesses."

For the Obama campaign to address the comment directly, they must think it's starting to leave a mark. And this is the kind of pushback the campaign had planned on delivering late last week, when the Colorado shooting put politics temporarily on hold.

So basically...

"If I said 'If you own a business, you didn't build that,' I didn't say that."

Awesome. :lol:

This has transformed to a far larger risk than the "the private sector is doing fine" gaffe. That gaffe was simply a soundbite to that the president made that obviously didn't do him any favors, this was more than just a soundbite, when you take his whole statement in it's totality, it absolutely was within the context of his larger message. You can hear the contempt in his voice at the very notion that small business owners that claim to work harder or are smarter than regular average working folks. It's as clear as day, and it's been plastered not only in national editorial media outlets but in local ones across the country as well.

Ahhhh, the " are you going to believe us, or your own lying ears" approach.

Well Mr Romney has already addressed this response.

Romney: Obama’s ‘You Didn’t Build That’ Comment’s Context is Worse than Remark

By Katrina Trinko

Obama campaign deputy manager Stephanie Cutter (of “felon” suggestion fame) is out with a new charge: Mitt Romney is lying about Barack Obama’s “you didn’t build that” line.

The new Romney TV ad, Cutter claimed, “blatantly twists” what Obama said. “Romney is not telling the truth about what the president said, and is taking the president’s words out of context,” Cutter said in a new Obama campaign web video. “Romney claims the president told entrepreneurs they didn’t build their own businesses. Actually, he didn’t say that.”

“Anyone who’s seen the President’s actual remarks knows the truth,” Cutter added. “The President said that together Americans built the free enterprise system that we all benefit from.”

In an interview with Larry Kudlow that aired last night, Romney brushed off the idea that he was taking the comment out of context. “I found the speech even more disconcerting than just that particular line,” Romney said. “The context is worse than the quote.

“The context, he says, you know, you think you’ve been successful because you’re smart, but he says a lot of people are smart,” Romney added. “You think you’ve been successful because you work hard, a lot of people work hard. This is an ideology which says hey, we’re all the same here, we ought to take from all and give to one another and that achievement, individual initiative and risk-taking and success are not to be rewarded as they have in the past. It’s a very strange and in some respects foreign to the American experience type of philosophy.

The Corner

Has no one pointed out yet the supreme irony of someone saying, in effect, that hard work or smarts are indistingiushable and it's the environment that determine success, when that someone is trying to convince the electorate that they're the most qualified to run the country?

Has no one pointed out yet the supreme irony of someone saying, in effect, that hard work or smarts are indistingiushable and it's the environment that determine success, when that someone is trying to convince the electorate that they're the most qualified to run the country?

Not that I've seen but it's not the first time that a leader felt he knew what was better for everyone else.

Long live the messiah :lol:

Not that I've seen but it's not the first time that a leader felt he knew what was better for everyone else.

Long live the messiah :lol:

More to the point, by his own argument, he's no more qualified for the job than anyone else. Brilliant.

More to the point, by his own argument, he's no more qualified for the job than anyone else. Brilliant.

Doesnt that kind of fit in with the "Romney hasn't identified himself, we might as well stick with Obama" theme of the past few days.

Psaki: "We are not going to stand by while Mitt Romney slices and dices and deliberately takes out of context the president’s remarks on businesses."

They're better off with the out-of-context quote. The context is much worse, at a fundamental level. And trying to spin the context into something it obviously wasn't to anyone who hears it is stupid beyond belief.

Of course, an even better plan would be to not say stupid **** to begin with then try to spin your way out of it. It's far too easy to rebut: "Mr. President, you specifically say the small business owner does not build their own business. You specifically say that success is not the result of individual effort, but of the society in which someone lives, and indirectly discredit hard work in the process as irrelevant to success. And you specifically say the infrastructure which the small business owner uses was created by 'someone else', while forgetting that small business owners are the very people whose taxes paid for that infrastructure. Mr. President, the context of your quote explains succinctly the failure of your economic, social, and fiscal policies, respectively."

Mr. President, I'm going to give you the best advice this message board has to offer: STOP DIGGING, YOU MORON!

They're better off with the out-of-context quote. The context is much worse, at a fundamental level.

Absolutely. When you listen to his holier-than-thou condescending tone of "I always get a kick out of people talking about their success, like they think they're smart or something. There's lots of smart people."

Embarrassing as hell, and he needs to be beat about the head with these comments right to the polling booth.

It's amazing. It's like he hired conner as a campaign manager.

In fairness, David Axelrod looks precisely how I expect conner looks. The funniest thing (and as a guy with no hair, I should know better) is has this brutal comb-over that keeps falling forward.

Look at this photo from Twitter. I'm always like "David, please, just cut those strands, wouldcha?"

Now take time to read the messages he posts. It's like he's 11.

In fairness, David Axelrod looks precisely how I expect conner looks. The funniest thing (and as a guy with no hair, I should know better) is has this brutal comb-over that keeps falling forward.

Look at this photo from Twitter. I'm always like "David, please, just cut those strands, wouldcha?"

Now take time to read the messages he posts. It's like he's 11.

I think Axlerod is much smarter than that.

He's not Tweeting like he's 11. He knows his target audience thinks like 11 year olds