Mr Businessman, You Didn't Build Your Business

What we just saw here is a microcosm of what is happening out there amongst lots of fiscal conservatives, small business owners and even pro-business democrats that have reservations against the president. There was a swift response to fjl2nd's statement in this thread, reason being is because people here are genuinely offended by that remark, and it's not just here, there is the same intensity on a much larger level that occurred as a result of the presidents unfortunate yet revealing statement, that's happening out there.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What we just saw here is a microcosm of what is happening out there amongst lots of fiscal conservatives, small business owners and even pro-business democrats that have reservations against the president. There was a swift response to fjl2nd's statement in this thread, reason being is because people here are genuinely offended by that remark, and it's not just here, there is the same intensity on a much larger level that occurred as a result of the presidents unfortunate yet revealing statement, that's happening out there.

This board is nowhere close to a microcosm of the United States. Actually, I don't think it's even close.

It's YOUR problem for being offended by selectively telling yourself what I believe.

If I'm the CEO of Chick Fil A...

I send out a free chicken sandwich coupon to everyone in that branch's target district, encouraging them to try Chick Fil A at any of the surrounding branches.

I take out an ad in the Sunday paper and list the projected tax revenue that this particular branch is expected to generate. I post the projected annual pay roll of this branch. I use the projected annual pay roll to calculate state, federal, social security, fica, etc taxes that would be paid.

And then I pose the question, do the people of Chicago want that restaurant or not?

If you have been paying any attention to this administration this was not a surprise.

This board is nowhere close to a microcosm of the United States. Actually, I don't think it's even close.

It's YOUR problem for being offended by selectively telling yourself what I believe.

You see, that's your problem, you have an innate inability to read and comprehend. I said:

"microcosm of what is happening out there amongst lots of fiscal conservatives, small business owners and even pro-business democrats that have reservations against the president."

Not the "United States"

And no, it's not my problem little fella, it's the presidents.

There also seems to be a lot of denial. Obama's point couldn't be clearer: Government made it possible for you to succeed so now you owe us. Most libs agree with this to a point, but don't want to take it to it's ultimate conclusion because it is a circular argument: government provided you the ability to thrive, so now you owe us whatever we decide, and as long as you're still getting by you should be happy about it. It absolutely underscores the sacrifices and contributions made by business owners and overscores the contribution of government. It's actually quite obvious. It's both amusing and frustrating to watch the fj12nds of the world scramble desperately to try to rationalize and reframe it in a way that isn't repugnant to the sensibilities of most people.

I've explained myself now 10 times in the thread. Hard work is important. Not going to keep repeating it.

No one is arguing what YOU think. We're arguing what Obama thinks, and he thinks he is "always struck" by people who believe their hard work and intelligence played a role in their success.

That's condescending, out of touch, and just plain embarrassing. And it's not going away any time soon. And if it does, it won't be because of me.

Investors, Customers, Government (tax credits, roads, bridge), Banks, etc.

You could argue government could hamper business creation in some situations though.

Investors don't just fling capital around all willy-nilly. They do business valuation, and examine growth models and business plans based on the work of the small business owner. They aren't helping. Their participation had to be solicited and earned.

Customers don't just give you money. Competition demands that you provide a better product, service, or price to attract them and their dollars; and even if you do manage to attract them, they aren't there to offer you help. They're in it for what you can do for them, making a voluntarily exchange because they found value in what you offered them.

Banks are nothing more than ultra conservative investors, releasing collateralized funds to those they feel have the best ability to repay. They don't do favors and they don't provide help.

Government is a worse example of help than any of your others. I'll leave it to you to figure out why.

It absolutely infuriates me. It is SO condescending. SO demeaning. He deserves every bit of crap he gets for this. The RNC ad nails it. The more context you get, the worse it sounds. Probably the best ad yet.

youtube.com/watch?v=rwWW2DQS_DU

Having been the one early on that was bitching about taking it out of context I have to agree. I was pissed that people used the line "if you own a business, you didn't build that" to insinuate that they didn't build their business someone else did when in reality he was referring to roads and bridges which was left out of that quote. Now listening to that line in context, that's not the the worst line in that part of the speech. The whold part is worse than the piece taken out of context. Now I'll go back to my origninal question. Ok Mr President....what....is.....your......!@#$ing.....POINT?!?!?

There also seems to be a lot of denial. Obama's point couldn't be clearer: Government made it possible for you to succeed so now you owe us. Most libs agree with this to a point, but don't want to take it to it's ultimate conclusion because it is a circular argument: government provided you the ability to thrive, so now you owe us whatever we decide, and as long as you're still getting by you should be happy about it. It absolutely underscores the sacrifices and contributions made by business owners and overscores the contribution of government. It's actually quite obvious. It's both amusing and frustrating to watch the fj12nds of the world scramble desperately to try to rationalize and reframe it in a way that isn't repugnant to the sensibilities of most people.

I made a similar point a few days ago, I don't understand why Liberals don't embrace this comment. This statement I contended days ago was that this is INDEED THE substantive issue of the campaign. Which is Big Government vs. Smaller Government , that what Obama is really trying to say is that this is a society that largely depends on government, and that we all work equally hard, we all are equally intelligent, and that we largely owe the government for whatever success we have.

Which of course the crux of the entire diatribe is to justify higher taxes.

Don't run from it liberals, embrace it and run on this issue.

Edited by WorldTraveller

Agreed.

The President was making a point how everything is intertwined in the economy. Government, yourself, other friends/family, investors, etc. The you didn't build that business comment came out bad. End of story.

Who actually would say that government built your business?? (The President didn't say this, but you all infer it's what he meant.) I don't think anybody holds that view. It just doesn't make sense.

And when the Leftards ran with Mit's quote, "I like to fire people," which was taken without context, and they ran with it, and made attack ads with it - you were fine with that?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander at least, and BO's goose is getting cooked because his barfable quotation is very damning no matter what way you slice, phrase, couch or nuance it.

So don't get your dick in a wringer because Mitt's not curling up in the fetal position like John McCain did.

I've explained myself now 10 times in the thread. Hard work is important. Not going to keep repeating it.

I'm not here to pat business owners on the back. We all work hard for what we have! If you want to say that business owners work harder than a non-business owner, go ahead. I'm not going to make that judgment call. Things aren't universal.

Yes.

So, you think Chicago should be able to keep the restaurant out of that location?

Maybe, in some other countries are aren't ALLOWED to thrive like you can here. Again, harping on words is pointless.

Strawman argument. Lack of obstacles isn't permission.

So you disagree with Obama then?

Because he specifically diminished the value of hard work.

Krauthammer has a message for our friend Fjnd:

"Yeah, because it was the ultimate gaffe," syndicated columnist and FOX News contributor Charles Krauthammer said when asked if he thinks the "you didn't build it" line has legs. "It betrayed what he believes. And in context you can see because he elaborates on this. It isn't one sentence that slipped out. I think the RNC, Romney ought to run that ad -- ought to run the whole context, the whole thing, in an endless loop until the end of time or at least until the election, which seems about the same length of time. But it is so damning."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/07/25/krauthammer_romney_ought_to_run_you_didnt_build_that_ad_on_an_endless_loop_until_the_end_of_time.html

Krauthammer has a message for our friend Fjnd:

"Yeah, because it was the ultimate gaffe," syndicated columnist and FOX News contributor Charles Krauthammer said when asked if he thinks the "you didn't build it" line has legs. "It betrayed what he believes. And in context you can see because he elaborates on this. It isn't one sentence that slipped out. I think the RNC, Romney ought to run that ad -- ought to run the whole context, the whole thing, in an endless loop until the end of time or at least until the election, which seems about the same length of time. But it is so damning."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/07/25/krauthammer_romney_ought_to_run_you_didnt_build_that_ad_on_an_endless_loop_until_the_end_of_time.html

What a coincidence, I just came here to post a Krauthammer link

http://mobile.washingtonpost.com/rss.jsp?rssid=4223411&item=http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/charles-krauthammer-did-the-state-make-you-great/2012/07/19/gJQAbZOiwW_mobile.mobile&cid=-1&fullSiteUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fopinions%2Fcharles-krauthammer-did-the-state-make-you-great%2F2012%2F07%2F19%2FgJQAbZOiwW_story.html

Not sure who I heard make the statement recently: Obama did what Romney couldn't do; change the daily discussion away from Bain and back on Obama's incompetence.

I wouldn't characterize it as "incompetence", that implies a certain level of ineptitude. Actually, one could argue that he is extremely competent when it comes to increasing the size of government, expanding the welfare state through wealth distribution schemes and perpetuating class envy. Obama is the left, he personifies it with great oratory skill, he just happened to make an inartful, clumsy soundbite that was backed up by the rest of his statement that provided all the context for us to see.