Mr Businessman, You Didn't Build Your Business

It's pretty damning when you read it, but when you hear him say it, you can genuinely see the contempt he has for business people who claim to work hard.

This one isn't going away.

It absolutely infuriates me. It is SO condescending. SO demeaning. He deserves every bit of crap he gets for this. The RNC ad nails it. The more context you get, the worse it sounds. Probably the best ad yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwWW2DQS_DU

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm, yes it does. I don't care how many times you tell yourself that it doesn't have any basis in reality, hell tell it to your wife, tell it to your friends or anyone who is willing to listen to you, but the reality is that at least 2/3 of all US business owners disagree with you. And those are the facts...

In regards to your second point, unfortunately the president has the same view as you, except there is one difference, he's trying to walk it back. If you really truly believe that working hard isn't THE main ingredient to having a successful business, then you are one naive clueless kid. As a matter of fact, if you put the two points that the president made light of, which is smarts and work ethic and you combine them, the odds of you having a successful business goes up exponentially.

But, it's interesting to know that you and the president are offended by people that are happy to tell people how hard they had to work to earn what they have, which really is a shame, because it's a wonderful story to tell. It's a story of success, hard work and perseverance, and "frankly" I think it's something that people should be proud to tell.

Don't get frustrated little man, it's a long campaign, both candidates will have their ups and down.

You're twisting words and you don't even see it. I never said hard work doesn't count because it most certainly does. As I said in the previous post, it's not the only thing that goes into making a business successful. I am not offended by successful business owners. That is just stupid. I love local small businesses - the city of Buffalo is booming with them now. I also plan on opening a business with a friend of mine at some point.

You're making this so black and white. It's either your with small business owners or you're against them. That's not how it works.

It absolutely infuriates me. It is SO condescending. SO demeaning. He deserves every bit of crap he gets for this. The RNC ad nails it. The more context you get, the worse it sounds. Probably the best ad yet.

youtube.com/watch?v=rwWW2DQS_DU

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the first 49 seconds of the video. Actually, it's all true.

He messed up at the end as I continue to say.

You're twisting words and you don't even see it. I never said hard work doesn't count because it most certainly does. As I said in the previous post, it's not the only thing that goes into making a business successful. I am not offended by successful business owners. That is just stupid. I love local small businesses - the city of Buffalo is booming with them now. I also plan on opening a business with a friend of mine at some point.

You're making this so black and white. It's either your with small business owners or you're against them. That's not how it works.

This is what YOU wrote:

And maybe he does have contempt for those who claim they worked harder because they own a business. Frankly, I don't like when people just say "I worked hard" for this. A lot of things go into running a successful business - if working hard was the solution, a lot more people would have businesses.

It's common in younger people that they don't get the risk taking involved in actually starting a business.

For example, I work in a bank and have thought of starting my own business but I'd obviously have to give up my benefits, job security and decrease my standard of living until I start making some good money (if ever).

**** like that flights over the head of younger people because they see all the success but they don't see the failures.

And thats why Obama's "you didn't build that [on your own]" quote is so inflammatory. Success takes a village but failure is always a f#$%ing orphan.

Or worse, success and failure are collectively shared, in which case its no ones fault that you're in jail for selling meth, and its not your fault that you're a homeless alcoholic, because you've faced adversity or something. Its society's fault. No accountability required, which seems to be a pillar of liberal ideology.

Edited by Jauronimo

No one's really mentioned one of the more obnoxious statements in that speech: "...this unbelievable American system we have that allowed you to thrive."

Ummm...excuse me? ALLOWED me to thrive? I thrive because the country ALLOWS it? :wacko:

It's pretty damning when you read it, but when you hear him say it, you can genuinely see the contempt he has for business people who claim to work hard.

This one isn't going away.

Why would you think that the first affirmative action POTUS would have anything but contempt for people that work hard.

I never said hard work doesn't count because it most certainly does. As I said in the previous post, it's not the only thing that goes into making a business successful. I am not offended by successful business owners. That is just stupid. I love local small businesses - the city of Buffalo is booming with them now. I also plan on opening a business with a friend of mine at some point.

But you're not Obama and you're not President of the United States. Obama made it VERY clear from his speech that he doesn't think hard work and intelligence matter. There are plenty of hardworking intelligent people. No, that does not matter. What matters is you're nothing but another useless turd on the heel of his shoe without him and the government running your world. So get on your knees, say thank you and then go away, peasant.

That's Obama's world in a nutshell. He fessed it...by mistake, I'm sure...but it's his truth. And all people see it. Well, except you apparently.

Let me save you some heartache. If you believe that something other than your own hard work has more to do with the success of a business you propose to start, don't start it. It won't be successful.

Actually, yes. That's exactly how it works.

This is what YOU wrote:

What I was trying to say is that working hard is not the only things that goes into it. But, that is the answer most people give.

I'm pretty sure we all hold the same views on this, but we're debating it over semantics. Work hard is a key ingredient success. Agreed? Do others help you along with creating that successful business is some way? Agreed.

Move along.

But you're not Obama and you're not President of the United States. Obama made it VERY clear from his speech that he doesn't think hard work and intelligence matter. There are plenty of hardworking intelligent people. No, that does not matter. What matters is you're nothing but another useless turd on the heel of his shoe without him and the government running your world. So get on your knees, say thank you and then go away, peasant.

That's Obama's world in a nutshell. He fessed it...by mistake, I'm sure...but it's his truth. And all people see it. Well, except you apparently.

No he didn't. I'm done with you.

What I was trying to say is that working hard is not the only things that goes into it. But, that is the answer most people give.

I'm pretty sure we all hold the same views on this, but we're debating it over semantics. Work hard is a key ingredient success. Agreed? Do others help you along with creating that successful business is some way? Agreed.

Who?

You're twisting words and you don't even see it. I never said hard work doesn't count because it most certainly does. As I said in the previous post, it's not the only thing that goes into making a business successful. I am not offended by successful business owners.

Here's what you said:

"Frankly, I don't like when people just say "I worked hard" for this. A lot of things go into running a successful business - if working hard was the solution, a lot more people would have businesses."

These are your words, not mine. You don't "like" it when people say they "worked hard" for what the success they have in running their business. By you saying that first you don't like that they make this claim and second that you don't believe that working hard is the solution, you achieve one main overriding point, which is that you diminish the effort applied from small business owners that work hard for what they have.

If there is ANYTHING that we should respect from successful business owners, it's the hard work they put into it. The comment you just made, along with the presidents, infuriates small business owners who have put everything they have into their business, risked their capital and put long hard work into trying to build something that provides for them and their families, and for you to diminish that effort by being insulted or not "liking" when they make the claim "I worked hard for what I have", is insulting.

If you don't realize that, then I don't know what to tell you.

No one's really mentioned one of the more obnoxious statements in that speech: "...this unbelievable American system we have that allowed you to thrive."

Ummm...excuse me? ALLOWED me to thrive? I thrive because the country ALLOWS it? :wacko:

Maybe, in some other countries are aren't ALLOWED to thrive like you can here. Again, harping on words is pointless.

This argument is so pointless. It was probably had about 5 pages back in this thread. Romney is going to run with this until November. Go ahead. Obama is going with a new positive approach to the campaign it looks like and that's what wins elections.

Instead of talking about BS, I'll start some threads where we can talk about actual policies and issues. More productive than this horseshit.

Obama made what is called a "Washington Gaffe". A "Washington Gaffe" is defined as "inadvertently telling the truth". So I beg to disagree with your assertion that this discussion is horseshit. Obama stands in stark contrast to Romney as it pertains to capitalism and taxes. This is a subject well worth debating.

I never caught that, that's sadly hilarious :lol:

Here's what you said:

"Frankly, I don't like when people just say "I worked hard" for this. A lot of things go into running a successful business - if working hard was the solution, a lot more people would have businesses."

These are your words, not mine. You don't "like" it when people say they "worked hard" for what the success they have in running their business. By you saying that first you don't like that they make this claim and second that you don't believe that working hard is the solution, you achieve one main overriding point, which is that you diminish the effort applied from small business owners that work hard for what they have.

If there is ANYTHING that we should respect from successful business owners, it's the hard work they put into it. The comment you just made, along with the presidents, infuriates small business owners who have put everything they have into their business, risked their capital and put long hard work into trying to build something that provides for them and their families, and for you to diminish that effort by being insulted or not "liking" when they make the claim "I worked hard for what I have", is insulting.

If you don't realize that, then I don't know what to tell you.

I've explained myself now 10 times in the thread. Hard work is important. Not going to keep repeating it.

I'm not here to pat business owners on the back. We all work hard for what we have! If you want to say that business owners work harder than a non-business owner, go ahead. I'm not going to make that judgment call. Things aren't universal.

Yes.