Mr Businessman, You Didn't Build Your Business

Did the state make you great? Why Obama’s “you didn’t build that,” IN CONTEXT, is gaffe of the year: Obama revealed.

WAPO

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

Referring to Julia:

"The only time she's on her own, is at her gravesite"

Fanfukingtastictic. LOL

So a soundbyte that says "if you own a business you didn't build that" is not taken out if context????????

Not in the slightest and don't ask me how, because I've gone over it various times in depth and so have others, and so have some of the greatest conservative minds, such as kraut hammer and barone , but that's ok, you have your opinion, and I respect that.

Edited by WorldTraveller

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a soundbyte that says "if you own a business you didn't build that" is not taken out if context????????

By definition all soundbytes are taken out of context, unless the soundbyte is comprised of the entirety of a brief yet complete statement. What is more important is if the soundbyte is representative of the entire larger idea being expressed and if it can be understood to do so out of context.

Even when I hear it IN context, it sounds just as stupid. This isn't Al Gore saying "I co-sponsored the legislation that funded the research into the internet" and being misrepresented. This is someone saying business owners don't build their businesses without government help - effectively, saying you didn't build your client list by busting your ass 12-14 hours a day cold-calling, you just lucked into it because of everyone else helping you; or I didn't actually earn a graduate degree, the credit belongs to the entire SUNY system (and the inventor of the typewriter, and Kinko's). It doesn't matter if you're smart or work your ass off...the credit should be shared equally.

It doesn't matter if you do the work...what matters is the conditions others created that allowed you to do the work. He explicitly confuses the society in which we live providing the preconditions for success with creating success itself. That's explicitly his context.

How is that any less stupid than "If you own a business, you didn't build that"?

Even when I hear it IN context, it sounds just as stupid. This isn't Al Gore saying "I co-sponsored the legislation that funded the research into the internet" and being misrepresented. This is someone saying business owners don't build their businesses without government help - effectively, saying you didn't build your client list by busting your ass 12-14 hours a day cold-calling, you just lucked into it because of everyone else helping you; or I didn't actually earn a graduate degree, the credit belongs to the entire SUNY system (and the inventor of the typewriter, and Kinko's). It doesn't matter if you're smart or work your ass off...the credit should be shared equally.

It doesn't matter if you do the work...what matters is the conditions others created that allowed you to do the work. He explicitly confuses the society in which we live providing the preconditions for success with creating success itself. That's explicitly his context.

How is that any less stupid than "If you own a business, you didn't build that"?

Exactly, which is why the soundbyte being out of context doesn't matter. It is understood out of context.

It's a defining moment in this campaign, it crystallized the choices, Drew a clear line between the two candidates and helped galvanize the conservative base around Romney. You can see it, it put a pro in his step, and ever since then he's been on the attack, and not with these distorted personal attacks that voters don't care about, but about two competing visions. Big government vs smaller government.

Obviously a biased question there. Just because taxes rise doesn't mean it will always harm the economy. It could very well be a good thing for the economy long term in decreasing our deficit and collecting more revenue.

I said the cuts should be extended for one more year so we can let them expire in a non-election year. When unemployment has dropped a bit more and growth is consistent, taxes could then return to their previous levels to increase more revenue. I wouldn't be against keeping the middle class tax rates permanently.

Obama could have explained his thoughts so much better. I think the point he was trying to drive home was that the economy itself is driven by everyone together. Businesses can't survive without customers, etc. When he got into talking about the government, he went to a dangerous place.

I'm sure the Romney campaign will have a field day with this and pretend he stands for limited government. He needed a break like this.

Obama probably should have not explained his true thoughts. He can only win by putting on a facade. This was a layer that was peeled back and is very damaging to him.

It's not just a conservative galvanizing issue, but is yet another reminder for swing voters that Obama simply just doesn't connect with them from a business perspective. It simply reinforces the narrative that Obama is your typical old Skool tax and spend liberal.

On steroids

Edited by WorldTraveller

It's not just a conservative galvanizing issue, but is yet another reminder for swing voters that Obama simply just doesn't connect with them from a business perspective. It simply reinforces the narrative that Obama is your typical old Skool tax and spend liberal.

On steroids

I would assume that conservatives by and large are fiscally conservative, side with the strict constitutionalists and feel strongly about the federal government's responsibility to protect our country from outside forces. I would also assume that most independents feel mostly that way. The difference is in the social issues. I'm a conservative and I don't believe in abortion----if I was a woman, but I believe that it is not a choice for me to make for other people (if you wait to do it when the fetus has hair, you're a sicko though). Anyway, I'm not big on gun control, but AK-47's are a little over the top.

Throwing all the above aside, we as conservatives need to focus on fiscal conservatism and not let the liberal canard throwers make it about anything else.

But he never said that!!!

http://freedomoutpost.com/2012/07/unbelieveable-ad-claims-obama-never-said-you-didnt-build-that/

“Wheel of Fortune” host Pat Sajak offers his two cents on President Obama’s “you didn’t build that” remark in an essay for Richochet.com:

It's as if President Obama climbed into a tank, put on his helmet, talked about how his foray into Cambodia was seared in his memory, looked at his watch, misspelled "potato" and pardoned Richard Nixon all in the same day. It's fun to imagine the hand-wringing that must be going on within the White House as staffers try to figure out how to undo the damage their boss has done with his anti-entrepenurial riff. Defining moments in politics are strange beasts. Sometimes they're only recognized in hindsight, while sometimes they throw the train off the tracks before a sentence has been completed. Sometimes their effect can be contained and minimized, while sometimes their effect on the political narrative mestastasizes. This one is very bad for the White House.

These defining moments take hold most devastatingly when they confirm what a large portion of the electorate already believes. Taken alone, it seems unfair that a single moment, an unguarded remark or a slip of the tongue can carry such weight. They're often dismissed as "gotcha" moments, but when voters are able to nod and say, "I knew it," these moments stick and do terrible damage. We have witnessed such a moment

“Wheel of Fortune” host Pat Sajak offers his two cents on President Obama’s “you didn’t build that” remark in an essay for Richochet.com:

It's as if President Obama climbed into a tank, put on his helmet, talked about how his foray into Cambodia was seared in his memory, looked at his watch, misspelled "potato" and pardoned Richard Nixon all in the same day. It's fun to imagine the hand-wringing that must be going on within the White House as staffers try to figure out how to undo the damage their boss has done with his anti-entrepenurial riff. Defining moments in politics are strange beasts. Sometimes they're only recognized in hindsight, while sometimes they throw the train off the tracks before a sentence has been completed. Sometimes their effect can be contained and minimized, while sometimes their effect on the political narrative mestastasizes. This one is very bad for the White House.

These defining moments take hold most devastatingly when they confirm what a large portion of the electorate already believes. Taken alone, it seems unfair that a single moment, an unguarded remark or a slip of the tongue can carry such weight. They're often dismissed as "gotcha" moments, but when voters are able to nod and say, "I knew it," these moments stick and do terrible damage. We have witnessed such a moment

Not bad observations...

But really, Pat Sajak is a pundit now?

Not bad observations...

But really, Pat Sajak is a pundit now?

You know I was thinking the same thing, and I would of never of posted it, but his observation I thought merited a reposting of this views on this topic. I thought it was articulated rather well.

Edited by WorldTraveller

I would assume that conservatives by and large are fiscally conservative, side with the strict constitutionalists and feel strongly about the federal government's responsibility to protect our country from outside forces. I would also assume that most independents feel mostly that way. The difference is in the social issues. I'm a conservative and I don't believe in abortion----if I was a woman, but I believe that it is not a choice for me to make for other people (if you wait to do it when the fetus has hair, you're a sicko though). Anyway, I'm not big on gun control, but AK-47's are a little over the top.

Throwing all the above aside, we as conservatives need to focus on fiscal conservatism and not let the liberal canard throwers make it about anything else.

Why is that?