Maybin

I remember listening to WHTK last year. The Bills played the Jets and I forget who said it but Maybin was taunting the Bills sideline after a tackle or sack, they said "Sorry Aaron youre still a bust."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are a real follower of the Bills, you would truly understand that they did everything they could to keep him and put him on the field. He could not even get on special teams and sat for a bunch of games including the game away in Baltimore which is his home town. With all of that, I can truly wash my hands of this guy. If he gets sacks on us or has a good game, I can live. He is not a member of our team any more.

If you are a real follower of the Bills, you would truly understand that they did everything they could to keep him and put him on the field. He could not even get on special teams and sat for a bunch of games including the game away in Baltimore which is his home town. With all of that, I can truly wash my hands of this guy. If he gets sacks on us or has a good game, I can live. He is not a member of our team any more.

It all comes down to football intelligence...and Maybin has none of it. No instincts, just an initial burst and speed rush. Arguing that the Bills' coaching staff "failed" because Maybin has had some very limited success with the Jets is ridiculous.

It all comes down to football intelligence...and Maybin has none of it. No instincts, just an initial burst and speed rush. Arguing that the Bills' coaching staff "failed" because Maybin has had some very limited success with the Jets is ridiculous.

Wasn't the whole 3-4 switch supposed to help Maybin? As far as dedication and memory loss: as a well paid Buffalo Bill, he was asked to bulk up during the off-season and reported after the strike having actually lost weight. His excuse being to the effect that he could add and lose weight easily so it was no big deal. Not soon after the saloon doors hit him in the backside.

No matter what he takes, no matter what he presses, no matter what he runs, his mental abilities will always be a hindrance. We're very lucky to have guys like Merriman and Barnett who GET IT and are mentally prepared week in and week out.

I think the actual argument that Bills fans are making is that the Bills braintrust which included the since vanquished coaches did FAIL not because the coaches did not give him every chance to make it (from getting PT in extensively in pre-season and even a few key plays in regular season). They failed in that the braintrust decided to waste a 1st round pick on a player without football intelligence.

Personally, not only do I not fault the coaches for giving him a lot of personal training and every chance to demonstrate he had aborbed and was implementing this training Iand I do not even think it is worthwhile to blame the coaches because they are gone).

However, it does strike me as worthwhile (to the extent that the businessman owner cares about satisfying the needs of his rabid customers which populate the web-world like TSW still complaining about Maybin) to complain about parts of the braintrust such as Mr. Ralph and Littman who are still here.

They screwed up badly (and we fans are still paying the price in spending a first round resource on a player who ultimately turned out to be a bust.

However, it does strike me as worthwhile (to the extent that the businessman owner cares about satisfying the needs of his rabid customers which populate the web-world like TSW still complaining about Maybin) to complain about parts of the braintrust such as Mr. Ralph and Littman who are still here.

They screwed up badly (and we fans are still paying the price in spending a first round resource on a player who ultimately turned out to be a bust.

Littman doesn't make any football decisions. Yes, Ralph allowed his staff to draft Maybin, but this isn't a decision that falls on Ralph; he relinquished control to Marv and Dick. I'm sure Jauron presented a passionate argument for the pick ("it's hard to rush the passer in the NFL").

Teams make bad draft picks all the time; this is hardly a unique situation. I think all (or most) of us just continue to be stupified by how a lot of people were blinded by Maybin's athleticism, without bothering to discover the guy doesn't have an ounce of football instinct.

Littman doesn't make any football decisions. Yes, Ralph allowed his staff to draft Maybin, but this isn't a decision that falls on Ralph; he relinquished control to Marv and Dick. I'm sure Jauron presented a passionate argument for the pick ("it's hard to rush the passer in the NFL").

Teams make bad draft picks all the time; this is hardly a unique situation. I think all (or most) of us just continue to be stupified by how a lot of people were blinded by Maybin's athleticism, without bothering to discover the guy doesn't have an ounce of football instinct.

Maybin was all about being Jauron's pick. Marv and Modrak were his key allies in support of the selection. Maybin's pro day performance was amazing and hard to ignore.

Nix didn't agree.

RW had nothing to do with it. Not sure why anyone would assign blame to him or Littman for what was strictly a football decision by Marv and Co.

GO BILLS!!!

It's all in the coaching. Finding and developing the abilities of the players that you have. In Maybin's case it may be limited but he obviously has some ability and the Bills coaches weren't interested. Jauron wanted him to play DE and then he was too small for Nix and his "getting bigger" obsession. The Jets put him in a position to be successful and he responded with a decent performance. 6 sacks and 4 forced fumbles would've led the Bills in both categories last season. If you don't think that that would've been useful then you're crazy.

The Green Bay backers were 1-10-1 in 1958 the year before Vince Lombardi took over. That team had 13 players that were all pro, pro bowl or hall of famers at some point in their careers but could only win 1 game. When Lombardi took over he took essentially the same core group and won 5 championships. Coaching matters.

JMO, of course.

The Green Bay backers were 1-10-1 in 1958 the year before Vince Lombardi took over. That team had 13 players that were all pro, pro bowl or hall of famers at some point in their careers but could only win 1 game. When Lombardi took over he took essentially the same core group and won 5 championships. Coaching matters.

JMO, of course.

Lombardi got rid of the players that didn't give a damn, and I know that story. We are talking about ONE player who is pretty worthless in situations that actually matter, and Lombardi would have gotten rid of him in a second. You can't make that comparison because in order to save the team, he had to lop off the cancerous parts, and we did that when Maybin went bye-bye.

In future news: New York Jets LB Aaron Maybin has been suspended for 4 games after violating the leagues substance abuse policy.

More future breaking news : Fitzpatrick hands the ball off to fred jackson. Fred Jackson counters to the right... OOOHHHHH he gets tackled... FredEx scores a touchdown while tackling Maybin...

I'm not going to defend Jauron, but Maybin was a DE. A DE that couldn't rush the passer or defend the run. He got tossed around like a rag doll. That's not scheme, that's just a crappy player. It's not tough to make an occasional play when opposing teams think so little of you that they let a TE or RB block you with ZERO help from a lineman. Maybin's one move is to line up 5 yards off tackle and run as fast as he can in a straight line and hope the QB is still there on the way back.

The extra weight will slow him down. Which means he can now blow by a quarterback a tad less fast than before. Much like McKelvin, the dude doesn't have it up there to play football. He should have been at most a third round pick and a project for some team.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

The extra weight will slow him down. Which means he can now blow by a quarterback a tad less fast than before. Much like McKelvin, the dude doesn't have it up there to play football. He should have been at most a third round pick and a project for some team.

It's an insult to McKelvin to compare his football instincts to Maybin. McKelvin may have some issues with picking up the ball downfield, but he has been a far more productive player and will be playing in the league long after Maybin has endured his last pancake at the hands of a RB.

Marv Levy was long gone by the time the Maybin pick happened. He was a delegator, but was involved in the blueprint of trying to build the Bills in the mold of what Polian had done in Indianapolis only without Peyton Manning. That last bit, without Peyton Manning, led both men to the exit door.

When Levy stepped aside, Brandon did assume some of the football duties and this was the time Maybin was drafted. He, Modrak, and Jauron were all at the combine and all played a role in that awful pick. I listened to each of them gush profusely about Maybin in their euphoria after the draft. (By the way, Buddy Nix was even in the building at the time of the Maybin pick.)