Eric "Sleeping With" Bienemy

Carl "Slim" Pickens

"Thermal" Thomas

"Commander" Cody Carlson

Andre "Bad Moon" Rison

Vincent "Ultimate" Brisby

Natrone "Refried" Means

Rickey "Running" Watters

And on the baseball side again: who could ever forget Oddibe "Young Again" McDowell?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, it was good natured. I'm glad he didn't treat Berman the way Berman treats others (watch): youtube.com/watch?v=3TLG_LtWhj4

I see nothing wrong with this video clip. Dude was probably live and people were walking under the camera that was rolling.. sounds pretty distracting and rude just like he said..

Couldn't agree more, major.

Berman has been done, IMO, for quite some time. His act has become old and tired.....including football. I can't watch most of what ESPN puts out.

Give MLBN and NFLN every day of the week over ESPN. They are not perfect, but far better.

BTW, the HR derby has gone the way of the slam dunk contest...IMO. I watched part of it last night (until I couldn't take Berman) just hoping I'd get some enjoyment out of it. I was wrong.

ESPN is all about Putting a show on and not reporting the sporting news...

Andre "Bad Moon" Rison

I still remember when Boomer rolled that one out for the first time. Anyone who comes up with a nickname like that, that the player later appropriates for himself and actually tattoos on his arm, is alright with me as a broadcaster.

Wally "Absorbine" Joyner was another inspired one in my book.

Okay, the schtick got old and tired - and he even admitted it by retiring the whole thing eventually - but count me among those who has good memories. Boomer is an icon. Whether he knows anything about baseball or any other sport is beside the point. Cosell was the same way: you loved him or hated him, but you couldn't ignore him.

And the whole Bills fan thing - the cabbie, the wagons, all of it - still endears me to him. Tim Russert, Eddie Van Halen, Ronnie James Dio, Chris Berman ... when celebrities love my team, I love them. Sorry if that's childish.

I still remember when Boomer rolled that one out for the first time. Anyone who comes up with a nickname like that, that the player later appropriates for himself and actually tattoos on his arm, is alright with me as a broadcaster.

Wally "Absorbine" Joyner was another inspired one in my book.

Okay, the schtick got old and tired - and he even admitted it by retiring the whole thing eventually - but count me among those who has good memories. Boomer is an icon. Whether he knows anything about baseball or any other sport is beside the point. Cosell was the same way: you loved him or hated him, but you couldn't ignore him.

And the whole Bills fan thing - the cabbie, the wagons, all of it - still endears me to him. Tim Russert, Eddie Van Halen, Ronnie James Dio, Chris Berman ... when celebrities love my team, I love them. Sorry if that's childish.

Wait a second- RJD was a Bills fan?

Chris Berman only calls the HR derby for baseball because at one time the Back, Back, Back was a popular call. And he still wants to bring it back occisionally

At least he stopped with the nicknames. Occasionally there was a good funny one like Frank Tanana Daquiri but he would do one for every player which was way way over the top.

Can we please add Mike Emerick in the NHL to this list of way over the toppers,

he drives me nuts with his nasaly screaming and ranting.I much prefer subtle announcer/

color guys. I know that he wasn't much of a GM, but I really like Matt Millen on

color for NFL, and the guy is just as insightful as any of them.

ESPN is arguably the most successful TV network of all-time. I find it funny when so many people bash it. It's awesome.

To me, the problem is that Berman, Olberman and Patrick were so good at their jobs back in the day, being both engaging and entertaining, and often downright funny, that the standard they set was way too high. And everyone since them tries to replicate them and be funny when they're just not funny. And it becomes embarrassing.

Still, Sports Center is a tremendous show, NFL Countdown is terrific and easily the best pre-game show, and they have a ton of great live sporting events. ESPN news is great, too.

ESPN is all about Putting a show on and not reporting the sporting news...

Except that sports are about 95% show, and 5% news... how often does anything happen in sports that is really all that significant outside the vacuum

they exist in?

Major maybe you need something more to do. That was not even a rant, probably low blood sugar from the diet soda he's drinking. Boomer has the best schtick of any of the football broadcast personalities, he is a bills fan and who the heck would really want to cover home run derby anyway? It will be nice when the season starts and all of these BS posts stop. Go Bills!

ESPN is arguably the most successful TV network of all-time. I find it funny when so many people bash it. It's awesome.

To me, the problem is that Berman, Olberman and Patrick were so good at their jobs back in the day, being both engaging and entertaining, and often downright funny, that the standard they set was way too high. And everyone since them tries to replicate them and be funny when they're just not funny. And it becomes embarrassing.

Still, Sports Center is a tremendous show, NFL Countdown is terrific and easily the best pre-game show, and they have a ton of great live sporting events. ESPN news is great, too.

ESPN has lost a lot of its daily viewers in recent years, as Sportscenter has gone completely downhill the past 15 years. It is evidenced as the networks bias towards NYC and Boston usually dominates their headlines. The only things worth watching are the sports (go figure) and maybe PTI/Around the Horn.

That all said, Boomer needs to stick to footballm and stay clear of any other sport.

Except that sports are about 95% show, and 5% news... how often does anything happen in sports that is really all that significant outside the vacuum

they exist in?

When Disney took over, what did you expect? Same old crap they have been spewing out since Eisner.