Trent Edwards the Eagle

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Can't believe people are actually defending Trentative. The guy *might* have evolved into a serviceable starter in the NFL, but the key thing for me (outside of the Wilson hit) is he never seemed to grasp the one concept every competent NFL QB has to understand -- you don't wait for guys to get open in the NFL, you throw to where they are supposed to be as long as the defender is not in a better position. Trentative never threw the ball downfield because he couldn't anticipate (or didn't trust) what the result would be. He needed to see open space between his receiver and the defender before he would pull the trigger -- and that's a QB killer in the NFL. You can get away with that stuff in college because the receivers are usually running around uncontested in the open field.

The guy who was absolutely killed by lack of coaching was Losman. I still respect his moxie and "want-to" -- he just didn't get any help with development.

Hard to believe Trent's still getting looks by teams. But there's a lot of revisionist history going on about both him and Losman. Sure, the coaching on the offensive side pretty much sucked in those years but neither of these guys was ever going to start on any other team ever.

Trent was just soft. He may have had potential because he was a bright guy, but he seemed to lack a basic competitive spirit.

Losman was hardly "thrust" into the starting job. He spent most of his rookie season backing up Bledsoe. He just seemed too mentally challenged for the game. He looked unprepared always. He could only find one receiver with any regularity and despite being a "scrambler", took a million bad sacks. Soemone above actually said he was able to "adapt" on the field--but the exact opposite was true. He had no idea what he was looking at--defensively or offensively--when he was on the field.

The only sad thing about these two is that we had the misfortune of drafting both and naming them starters successively.

I don't think edwards could start for a division 3 college program at this point. he wouldn't even do well as a high school QB.

Don't understand the fascination with the guy. He is shell shocked. He has a soft arm. he cant lead a receiver. And he throws a 4 yd safety valve

on 4th and 20 with the game on the line. Go away Trent. And good luck.

Relax, Tcali. He's been gone for almost 3 years.

Since folks are starting threads complaining that they're tired of hearing about one ex-Bill now an Eagle, just thought I'd toss another on the grill :devil:

I heard the Trent has been working hard on his passes down the field....someone said he was able to get the ball 6 yards beyond the line of scrimmage at the eagles practice yesterday.

Best comment in the thread :w00t:

Honestly there needs to be a ban on Trent and JP threads on this site, don't care who they play for.

Best comment in the thread :w00t:

Honestly there needs to be a ban on Trent and JP threads on this site, don't care who they play for.

Love ya Bow, no ban on Trent and JP threads until and unless we also ban threads on all Bills top draft picks who didn't pan out for us and all other Bills who have moved on to other teams.

Which wouldn't make me cry, personally, but I'm reminded of the song "This Train" which explains all the classes of people this train don't ride, and ends "this train is mighty empty, this train"

Best solution, tired of reading about something, when you see a thread with that title don't read it.

when the Philly Bills Backers club held a draft party here, they brought in Levitre, Wood and Reinhardt to sign autographs and pose with fans and watch the draft together...it was fun....then Trent Edwards showed up. I thought that was a pretty cool move by him...i think it shows how he feels about Buffalo...granted he is here in Philly, but he still made the effort to come out to a Bills event, probably knowing he's not the most loved ex-Bill ever...he still took the time to come out to be with Bills fans. Like him or not, that got him some points in my eyes. :thumbsup:

He's finding his way.

"I'm trying to be as attentive as possible, trying to make eye contact, trying to ask as many questions as I can, trying to talk through things with Mike Vick, Mike Kafka, Nick Foles, and all the coaches," said Edwards. "That's the only way I feel like I can get better is by wanting to be coached."

I thought it was kinda sad. This just sounds so...uncompetitive.

Sounds like he's still distracted by those bizarre Dakota Fanning fantasies of his...

He has "QB of the future" written all over him.

Did you see that 30 yard strike to Josh Reed to set up the field goal? He made me a BILLiever last game.

I'll say it again - QB of the FUTURE!

Cheers gents. :beer:

Trent and Losman were thrust into starting QB roles on bad to mediocre football teams and had no good coaching. With no OL, they were doomed to fail more so than have a chance to succeed. By the time they went on to other teams, their play and reputation were already scarred.

For example, Jauron decided to run a no-huddle offense, when they had absolutely no personnel to run it. Teams like the Steelers ridiculed our offense and suggested that we huddle a bit to perspire.

Trent had many good throws under pressure..so many good wins in a comeback spot. The teams were just not very good.

It's so easy to just throw out the OL excuse, but if you happen to recall, our OL in 2007 and possibly 2008 as well- I'd have to check the #'s- was one of the better lines in all of football. '08 was the year Peters held out throughout the pre-season because he had become a breakout star the year before and the pass protection was up there with any team in the league. Just saying.

A lot of hate for Edwards here. He seems like a good guy, who would be a decent backup.

He shouldn't have been a starter, but we had no one else better. And Juaron's offensive system was a joke.

Edwards actually started out strong--5 and 0. Few mistakes. Good distribution. Accurate (albeit short) passes.

Then, defenses started figuring Juaron's and Edward's system. And then the hit he took...I think against the Cardinals...left him a little skiddish.

I hope the guy becomes a decent backup.

And concerning Edward's Arm's comments about Fitz not being as good as Cutler, I'd take Fitz any day. Cutler has probably the worst attitude of any QB, and while the guy is tough for taking a gazillion sacks, he quit in the playoffs. Can't see Fitz doing that.

Better days ahead, fellas. It starts in September.

Hard to believe Trent's still getting looks by teams. But there's a lot of revisionist history going on about both him and Losman. Sure, the coaching on the offensive side pretty much sucked in those years but neither of these guys was ever going to start on any other team ever.

Trent was just soft. He may have had potential because he was a bright guy, but he seemed to lack a basic competitive spirit.

Losman was hardly "thrust" into the starting job. He spent most of his rookie season backing up Bledsoe. He just seemed too mentally challenged for the game. He looked unprepared always. He could only find one receiver with any regularity and despite being a "scrambler", took a million bad sacks. Soemone above actually said he was able to "adapt" on the field--but the exact opposite was true. He had no idea what he was looking at--defensively or offensively--when he was on the field.

The only sad thing about these two is that we had the misfortune of drafting both and naming them starters successively.

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised there's still so much pro-Losman sentiment on this site. The Bills' other first round busts--such as McCargo, Maybin, etc.--generally don't receive that kind of positive attention or favorable "what if?" scenarios.

Immediately after the 2006 draft, Dave Wannestedt said he wouldn't have taken Losman with the last pick of the seventh round. At the time, many on this site criticized him for that remark. Wannestedt has more knowledge of football in his pinky than most people here have, period. This is why he realized that Losman had not proven himself a good pocket passer in college, and was very unlikely to become one in the NFL.

There are some who wave the word "coaching" around as though the word is a magic wand which can make a player's mental shortcomings disappear. That's like waving the phrase "strength training" around like a magic wand while explaining why the 5'6", 120 pound offensive lineman you just drafted is destined to become a Pro Bowl player.

I've read that after the snap, Tom Brady processes information a full second faster than Drew Bledsoe had. There's a very sharp limit to the amount coaches can do to affect that.

Neither Tom Brady nor Joe Montana had exceptional physical gifts. Montana lasted until the third round due in large part to his lack of arm strength. Brady's arm was nothing special either. And I've read that he lost a foot race to Drew Bledsoe! :o

What made Brady and Montana special was their ability to throw the ball accurately, and their ability to process information quickly. Losman was the opposite of that. He had great physical gifts, but was not accurate, and not good at anything relating to information processing or the other mental aspects of the game. The Bills had to run a very simplified offense in 2006 to accommodate his mental limitations.

He's finding his way.

"I'm trying to be as attentive as possible, trying to make eye contact, trying to ask as many questions as I can, trying to talk through things with Mike Vick, Mike Kafka, Nick Foles, and all the coaches," said Edwards. "That's the only way I feel like I can get better is by wanting to be coached."

I thought it was kinda sad. This just sounds so...uncompetitive.

"Compounding the difficulty of that transition for Edwards is the fact that he receives so few team reps during practice. With the offense revolving around Vick, Mike Kafka developing as the No. 2 quarterback and rookie Nick Foles' indoctrination into the NFL, there aren't many chances for Edwards to throw to his new teammates during practice. That's why it's become so expected for Edwards to spend time after practice throwing to receivers. "

Almost sounds as though he's #4 on the depth chart, though Foles may wind up on the PS. I assume the Eagles would want to keep 3 QB they are certain can play, since Vick is almost certain to get hurt at some point.

I thought Trentative seemed like a nice guy, but it was never clear to me that he really had a passion for football, that he relished making a good throw in the face of pressure.

Zero chance Foles gets put on the PS. Teams would be sprinting to sign him. Hopefully including the Bills.

Zero chance Foles gets put on the PS. Teams would be sprinting to sign him. Hopefully including the Bills.

On the Bills, I doubt it. I think they've got a plan. Overall, you're probably right, he wouldn't clear waivers, so that's out.

That being the case, what on earth are the Iggles doing with Edwards? Are they planning to keep 4 QB on the 53 man roster? They can't possibly be planning to keep him over Kafka, could they?

A lot of hate for Edwards here. He seems like a good guy, who would be a decent backup.

He shouldn't have been a starter, but we had no one else better. And Juaron's offensive system was a joke.

Edwards actually started out strong--5 and 0. Few mistakes. Good distribution. Accurate (albeit short) passes.

Then, defenses started figuring Juaron's and Edward's system. And then the hit he took...I think against the Cardinals...left him a little skiddish.

I hope the guy becomes a decent backup.

And concerning Edward's Arm's comments about Fitz not being as good as Cutler, I'd take Fitz any day. Cutler has probably the worst attitude of any QB, and while the guy is tough for taking a gazillion sacks, he quit in the playoffs. Can't see Fitz doing that.

Better days ahead, fellas. It starts in September.

A good backup needs to be able to go, say, 2-2, if your starter is out for a month. At the very least, he has to be able to give the other team something to think about. What exactly would a team be worried about, facing Edwards at QB?

Foles cannot go to the PS, he would then be exposed tom allow every other to grab him. Bills and a few others would try to swoop in and add him to roster then. He will have to make the team as the #3 QB.

Exactly. Did not see your post, as I said the same thing after you did.