Trent Edwards the Eagle

In a preseason game last year with the raiders Trent threw a quick out on third and long. I remember the look of utter disbelief on coach Jacksons face. I had to laugh, but really it was sad.

Inducdentally, I saw this same look on chans face the week before he benched and subsequently released him. I belive he ran out of bounds on the last play of a close game vs. Miami in 2010....

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a preseason game last year with the raiders Trent threw a quick out on third and long. I remember the look of utter disbelief on coach Jacksons face. I had to laugh, but really it was sad.

His career YPA is 6.5. Fitz had a 6.7 last year, and his career is 6.3, the guy we have now is every bit off a dump off QB as Edwards.

Also, the guy we have now likes to throw 30-40 yard passes that are overthrown on 3rd and 1, did that many times last year, he is not nearly as smart as he is given credit to be. Fitz really does not play smart at all.

At this stage of the game Trent is ready to be a starter or not. No one is thinking of him as a starter.

At this stage of his career, he should be in a desperate battle with Kafka for the back up role. He isn't

At this stage of his career he should not be under consideration for the "project" rookie or second year spot on the team....he isn't.

In other words..dead man walking.

Inducdentally, I saw this same look on chans face the week before he benched and subsequently released him. I belive he ran out of bounds on the last play of a close game vs. Miami in 2010....

That game the Bills were losing by 3 touchdowns. Not sure why people think that was a big deal. I found much more offense with Gailey in that game. With the Bills losing big the Bills continues to run the ball on 1st and 2nd down andbe left with 3rd and long. Gailey was horrible that game, and the 2 INTs Edwards had were both the WR fault, on one Parrish let the CB just rip the ball out of his hands and it counted as an INT. THat team stunk, and they went on the lose 6 more in a row with the other guy too that stinks at QB.

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised there's still so much pro-Losman sentiment on this site. The Bills' other first round busts--such as McCargo, Maybin, etc.--generally don't receive that kind of positive attention or favorable "what if?" scenarios.

Immediately after the 2006 draft, Dave Wannestedt said he wouldn't have taken Losman with the last pick of the seventh round. At the time, many on this site criticized him for that remark. Wannestedt has more knowledge of football in his pinky than most people here have, period.

Knowing it and being able to apply it to specific situations are different things. When it comes to the offensive side of the ball, I will take Wanny's word with some skepticism.

After the Bills drafted Edwards, perceived QB guru Bill Walsh called the Bills and told Marv they got a "good one".

This is why he realized that Losman had not proven himself a good pocket passer in college, and was very unlikely to become one in the NFL.

If you had watched any of Losman's game while he was at Tulane you would know he had to scramble just to stay alive.

There are some who wave the word "coaching" around as though the word is a magic wand which can make a player's mental shortcomings disappear.

Coming out of college, JP was considered "raw", and would take a few years to develop. In his second year, he was thrust into the starter's position. That was a disaster waiting to happen.

What made Brady and Montana special was their ability to throw the ball accurately, and their ability to process information quickly. Losman was the opposite of that. He had great physical gifts, but was not accurate, and not good at anything relating to information processing or the other mental aspects of the game. The Bills had to run a very simplified offense in 2006 to accommodate his mental limitations.

Are you sure you are not mixing your players up? When Turk S. was fired, he complained to the media how Jauron wanted him to simplify the offense even more to the point Turk stated Jauron wanted to run a "pop warner" offense. The QB at the time: Edwards.

I am not saying Losman was a mental genius by any stretch, but I do remember in 2006, Losman complaining how he felt he was handcuffed by the coaching staff.

So nice to be a Bills fan with selective memory and only remember the bad plays...

There were times in both JP Losmans and Trent Edwards careers were they both looked like the could develop into the "real deal" and become a top QB. 2007 for JP and 2009 for Edwards.

Instead of developing further they both regressed badly because no player can develop himself! Not only did both those QB's lack coaching, they played for morons who didn't know how to do their own respective jobs! Like one poster mentioned, they both played on some bad teams, bad coaching,with bad O lines.

If given the chance of developing like Kyle Boller did with the Baltimore Ravens, and failing. Then it leaves no doubt about the lack of skill and talent to even develop. The only thing Jaurons staff of buffoons managed to do was teach Losman and Edwards how to run for their lives, and make poor decisions. Players are only as good as their coaching.

Now, if any of you would think that Peyton Manning did it all by himself, you're wrong! Manning had Tom Moore (50 years in coaching) as his OC for 10 years who taught him to call his own plays. Same with Jim Kelly, Bills OC Ted Marchibroda taught Kelly to call his own plays. You remember Ole Ted, the ex head coach of the Colts and QB Bert Jones mentor before joining The Buffalo Bills.

There was a reason Jim Kelly developed so profoundly into a 4x super bowl QB, he had some great coaching! Not to mention playing on some really good teams with good O lines.Show me a great player and I'll show you some great coaching behind him.

Edited by Fear the Beard

That game the Bills were losing by 3 touchdowns. Not sure why people think that was a big deal. I found much more offense with Gailey in that game. With the Bills losing big the Bills continues to run the ball on 1st and 2nd down andbe left with 3rd and long. Gailey was horrible that game, and the 2 INTs Edwards had were both the WR fault, on one Parrish let the CB just rip the ball out of his hands and it counted as an INT. THat team stunk, and they went on the lose 6 more in a row with the other guy too that stinks at QB.

no dude, final score was 10-15

Once Chan decided to open up the playbook out of desperation and run a spread offense in the second half the Bills drove right down the field and scored and it was 13-10. then the Bills long snapper hiked it outta the back of the end zone for a safety.

(i can't believe I'm agreeing with pmh) But, Chan Gailey was horrible in that game, and so was Edwards O line. Cornell Green made his first start and couldn't hold a block to save his life. The Bills couldn't run the ball either, 17 attempts for 50 yards.

That team did stink, 0-8 to start the season, the ONLY bright spots were the play of Fitz and Stevie Johnson, and Freddy

Trent is terrible that's all I can add......Anyone that defends him or has fond memories of his 3 yards CHECKDOWNS really blows my mind... :wallbash:

But I guess that's why Fitz is awesome now as well........no bills qb since jimbo except for lil dougie has been anything but putrid

Can we add another poz and whitner post while we're at it? :thumbdown:

Knowing it and being able to apply it to specific situations are different things. When it comes to the offensive side of the ball, I will take Wanny's word with some skepticism.

After the Bills drafted Edwards, perceived QB guru Bill Walsh called the Bills and told Marv they got a "good one".

If you had watched any of Losman's game while he was at Tulane you would know he had to scramble just to stay alive.

Coming out of college, JP was considered "raw", and would take a few years to develop. In his second year, he was thrust into the starter's position. That was a disaster waiting to happen.

Are you sure you are not mixing your players up? When Turk S. was fired, he complained to the media how Jauron wanted him to simplify the offense even more to the point Turk stated Jauron wanted to run a "pop warner" offense. The QB at the time: Edwards.

I am not saying Losman was a mental genius by any stretch, but I do remember in 2006, Losman complaining how he felt he was handcuffed by the coaching staff.

> When it comes to the offensive side of the ball, I will take Wanny's word with some skepticism.

Skepticism why? Wannestedt spends every single working day trying to figure out how to beat opposing quarterbacks. For quarterbacks, Wannestedt is the enemy. If Wannestedt thinks a QB like Losman will be a weak opponent, that's well worth knowing. Especially when it turns out Wannestedt was 100% right!

> After the Bills drafted Edwards, perceived QB guru Bill Walsh called the Bills and told Marv they got a "good one".

Good point. It might be that anti-endorsements of a player, such as Wannestedt's of Losman, tend to be more reliable than endorsements, such as Walsh's for Trent Edwards.

> If you had watched any of Losman's game while he was at Tulane you would know he had to scramble just to stay alive.

Edwards also had to scramble just to stay alive, because his offensive line at Stanford was abysmal. One of the main reasons Edwards wasn't taken in the first or second round was because Edwards hadn't proved enough as a pocket passer to deserve first round status. Neither had Losman; who was taken in the first round anyway due to his physical gifts.

> Coming out of college, JP was considered "raw", and would take a few years to develop.

Ryan Leaf was also considered "raw" coming out of college; whereas Peyton Manning was considered more "polished" and "NFL-ready." However, there were those who felt Leaf had the higher "upside" due to his arm strength and other physical gifts. It was implied that Manning was the better quarterback for a team which wanted immediate gratification; whereas Leaf was the better pick for a team which had taken a longer term view.

I cannot remember the last time a first round QB was described as "polished" and "NFL-ready" only to turn out to be a bust. Nor can I remember a first round quarterback who, having been described as "raw," went on to have a great career. Losman fit the profile of a standard-issue first round bust.

> In his second year, he was thrust into the starter's position. That was a disaster waiting to happen.

Why? Losman had his whole rookie year to learn the playbook in a relatively low pressure situation. He also had the chance to practice, both before his injury occurred and after he'd recovered. Going into his second year, he was appointed the starter, and asked to run the same offense he'd spent his rookie year learning. It soon became obvious that Losman could not succeed in a normal offense; but only in one specifically tailored to his mental limitations. (Such as the offense the Bills employed in 2006.)

> Are you sure you are not mixing your players up?

Yes. The Turk/Jauron thing you described is unrelated to the simplification of the Bills' offense in 2006.

no dude, final score was 10-15

Once Chan decided to open up the playbook out of desperation and run a spread offense in the second half the Bills drove right down the field and scored and it was 13-10. then the Bills long snapper hiked it outta the back of the end zone for a safety.

(i can't believe I'm agreeing with pmh) But, Chan Gailey was horrible in that game, and so was Edwards O line. Cornell Green made his first start and couldn't hold a block to save his life. The Bills couldn't run the ball either, 17 attempts for 50 yards.

That team did stink, 0-8 to start the season, the ONLY bright spots were the play of Fitz and Stevie Johnson, and Freddy

I know he said Miami game, but the one he ran out of bounds at the end was the Green Bay game. You are correct, the offense moved when they opened the spread.

Thing is, I think Trent could have been decent. Bills went full spread ONLY when they released Edwards. I think Gailey wanted Edwards to be removed, and the way to get him out was to handcuff him and run the ball more. When Trent was gone the Bills only began using what we see right now. Chan sacrificed two losses that season. He should have been fired just for that IMO.

I know he said Miami game, but the one he ran out of bounds at the end was the Green Bay game. You are correct, the offense moved when they opened the spread.

Thing is, I think Trent could have been decent. Bills went full spread ONLY when they released Edwards. I think Gailey wanted Edwards to be removed, and the way to get him out was to handcuff him and run the ball more. When Trent was gone the Bills only began using what we see right now. Chan sacrificed two losses that season. He should have been fired just for that IMO.

I don't think any of these comments can be viewed honestly, since you have a clear axe to grind with respect to Fitzpatrick (and, apparently, Gailey).

Edwards and Losman were both given plenty of chances; more than enough.

wow youre good at listing all the excuses for why trent edwards sucked. it was everyone elses fault. It couldnt have been that he was a gutless brainless coward that no matter what the game situation was, simply waited and dumped the ball to the running back...no matter what.

It doesnt look like youre new so why you would restate the same tired retreaded excuses that all the edwards fans made throughout the years confounds me. How come he couldnt catch on with a new team if he was so good? "scarred" whats that mean? it was buffalos fault he continued to suck after he left?

Trent was a qb but not a "football player" he would stroke his hair in postgame reports while explaining why he lost again,why he couldnt beat a cleveland team that scored a whole 6 points in buffalo. He didnt make "many good throws" he had 2-3 comebacks but had many more losses to teams that scored 10 or less points.

Anyone that defends him hasnt got a clue about football or talent or courage.

You are wrong...He was never put in situation to where he could succeed. Jauron was the problem-worst coach EVER, followed by the o-line, and players around him on both sides of ball...You could virtually see Edwards confidenece sink from week to week. You'll never know if he or Losman could have been any good...They both sucked, and it is all ancient history now-so who cares, BUT-As in sports and in business and life-If you dont put your players (or yourself) in a position to be succesful-then they never will.

Trent and Losman were thrust into starting QB roles on bad to mediocre football teams and had no good coaching. With no OL, they were doomed to fail more so than have a chance to succeed. By the time they went on to other teams, their play and reputation were already scarred.

For example, Jauron decided to run a no-huddle offense, when they had absolutely no personnel to run it. Teams like the Steelers ridiculed our offense and suggested that we huddle a bit to perspire.

Trent had many good throws under pressure..so many good wins in a comeback spot. The teams were just not very good.

I feel bad for Trent. But, I seem to trust Fitz is going to do what he has to do. No matter what. Ill stick to the gun slinger. Trent never seemed like a leader.

Go Buffalo!

Edited by Smears

Dude, you're delusional. Seek professional help. I too, think Trent might have been decent with decent coaching and OL early in his career, but by the time Chan got here the Fat Lady was doing her do-re-mi-fa-so thing.

Gailey had a "QB competition" running that training camp if we recall. Why on earth would Chan throw games and "handcuff" Trent when all he had to do was say "sitdown, boy, Fitz is starting" or "sitdown, boy, it's Brohm's job to lose". He did a perfect job of setting that up in the media. And wow, Edwards has sure had such a great career since leaving B'lo. He's had his shots to get in games with the "handcuffs" off and he's stunk up the joint - or do you believe Chan pocketed the key and packed him off with the cuffs still on?

Kinky.

Remember this? Check out the part about Edwards ability to read and adjust: "CBS cameras zoomed in on Edwards, whose eyes were wide open. He looked confused and maybe even a little scared. "You see his eye scanning," said Brandon Chillar, one of the five linebackers in the package. "He doesn't know where you are coming from." Edwards simply couldn't make presnap reads and adjustments fast enough to handle Gailey's spread at NFL game speed. Brohm couldn't either, that's why he's gone.

I won't bother to try a more rational explanation here, it's just too far afield.

(to paintmyhouse) I don't think any of these comments can be viewed honestly, since you have a clear axe to grind with respect to Fitzpatrick (and, apparently, Gailey).

And the Eball sinks the 8 ball and closes the game.

Edited by Hopeful

Ya Im sure Gaileys plan was to find a reason to cut Edwards. What a ridiculous statement. Dont forget, Trent looked awesome that preseason, hed earned the starting role

Ya Im sure Gaileys plan was to find a reason to cut Edwards. What a ridiculous statement. Dont forget, Trent looked awesome that preseason, hed earned the starting role

Trent looked amazing in preseason. I remember getting giddy about how good trenative was then about week 5 it all set in Trent's still bad.

Trent looked amazing in preseason. I remember getting giddy about how good trenative was then about week 5 it all set in Trent's still bad.

You're mixing up your years. Gailey's first season (2010) Trent won the job in camp, had a pretty decent preseason, and then stunk it up in the first two games of the season and was cut.