Anderson Cooper outs himself

I get your point, but disagree. You believe the "Prides" divides America, I believe it brings us together. The point is, those of us on the outside of any of those groups, needs to be able to accept those groups as part of our society and lives. No amount of violence or religion is going to change that fact, so it's up to us to deal with it and accept it.

Agree to disagree; I'll accept that.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate is all around us, like a cloud, and it is not going away, ever- it is human nature to hate people for reasons that for a logical mind seem to be illogical. We cannot come together to combat it unless the exclusive labels go bye bye.

It's our animal human nature that causes hate towards different things. It is our Civilized society that tells us doing so is wrong. Working towards acceptance of different people should be the goal. Not chalking it up to "Welp, people are evil, nothing we can do about it". As much as I agree with that sentiment, it's still on us to try.

If you want to be. "Pride" isn't some exclusive club that homosexuals are part of. Loads of people on this very board are vocally proud to be American, proud New Yorkers, proud Buffalonians, proud parents, etc. The word doesn't need to imply an accomplishment.

All those things are a choice. Should I be proud of my blue eyes?

hes been very open about it, but he hasnt wanted to make it a news story. he and his boyfriend are out and about in public whenever they come to new orleans. i last saw them over mardi gras, and it was clear they werent "just friends." that being one of a few times i have seen them together.

Which is exactly as it should be. The day <<insert special interest group here>> ceases to have to worry about pride and rather becomes mundane and uninteresting is the day <<insert special interest group here>> actually achieve equal rights. The absolute best way to ensure you're treated inequally is demand people recognize you as special.

That's what I am trying to say! You can't be accepted if you are trying to declare that you are worthy of exclusive recognition based on X... I certainly don't care who anyone is, but I mean when does this all end, and we just become Americans?

i think as DrD pointed out, if it were for exclusive special recognition, i may be off put. thats not what i see when anderson cooper "admits" that hes gay. its also not what i see in a pride day. frankly, i hope you are proud of who you are, and want others to be proud of themselves too.

just because you have gotten over the hump and dont much care, the truth of the matter is a lot of people still get very upset about this issue. if people didnt really care there would be no debate on things like gay marriage. in order to claim those rights its been a natural progression to have public events proclaiming that "this is who i am and i wont be ashamed of it, i deserve what everyone else gets." this has happened in womans rights, black rights, etc....

What i was getting at with my comment is that when generally people really dont care, as you say you dont, there wont be near the need to make the stand. it wont get news attention, it will just be another tabloid news story about whos sleeping with who, instead of someone having to have that coming out moment first. right now it seems we are in a transition - if you are ahead of the curve, good for you.

last up- accepting diversity isnt ignoring differences.

Edited by NoSaint

I'm inclined to say yes, but it seems like something bad happened once when people were TOO proud of their blue eyes.

Aaaaand this thread's been Godwined. No surprise there.

Which is exactly as it should be. The day <<insert special interest group here>> ceases to have to worry about pride and rather becomes mundane and uninteresting is the day <<insert special interest group here>> actually achieve equal rights. The absolute best way to ensure you're treated inequally is demand people recognize you as special.

agreed.

part of why i noted it for him was that it seemed he has neither hidden who he is, nor screamed it from the roof tops. he has simply lived his life, and tried to be a newscaster instead of a news story. more power to the guy.

Never said not happy with them. Just said can I be proud over them? I was born that way. Nothing to be proud of or ashamed of.

sure - be proud of your choice to display them openly. you think they look nice, and you arent going to hide them behind sunglasses - even if someone might not like them! (imagine if you had to struggle with that choice)

Edited by NoSaint

If you want to be. "Pride" isn't some exclusive club that homosexuals are part of. Loads of people on this very board are vocally proud to be American, proud New Yorkers, proud Buffalonians, proud parents, etc. The word doesn't need to imply an accomplishment.

Best post in this thread.

I'm inclined to say yes, but it seems like something bad happened once when people were TOO proud of their blue eyes.

and funniest post in this thread... got a chuckle from me. Well done 2 for 2!

Pride is an interesting thing. It is necessary to accomplish equality for those that have not been given it. However too much of it and a backlash is caused. It is 1 of the 7 deadly sins and it is easy to see why.

For those claiming that this isn't or shouldn't be an issue, I agree it shouldn't, but it is. Racism still exists and homophobia is even stronger. Witness the vote in NC a few months ago. I am proud of homosexual people that are proud of who they are and aren't scared to live their lives how they see fit. Should it be a news story? No, I don't think so, but this is the age where celebs can't move or breathe without tmz telling the owrld and this is just part of it.

Lastly, his feelings that people thought he was ashamed of being gay is what prompted this. It wasn't him wanting to cause a stir it was him wanting to set the record straight (no pun intended :devil: ) and again, I can respect that.

Edited by section122

What is deviant behavior and where does society draw the line? Or should it not draw a line at all on deviant behavior.

I don't know, but I'm sure in any form sailing a ship up an incline qualifies...

Oh good Lord I pull a random example out of the air and now I am Heinrich Himmler. I am also Polish, which would put me in a death camp. OK? Even?

Of course not. Treuer Heinrich didn't have blue eyes.

What is deviant behavior and where does society draw the line? Or should it not draw a line at all on deviant behavior.

Deviant behavior, by definition, is behavior that violates social norms. So it sounds like it is a dynamic and ever-changing list. As fears subside and people realize that gays are not out to "convert their children" (that's actually religion, btw), or harm people, then society realizes their lifestyle is not "deviant".

I'd say our biggest priority would be determining if the behavior in question actually causes harm to outsiders. If not, then the policy should be live and let live. With regard to homosexuals, it would be Love and let Love. Since that is all it's about.

I'd say our biggest priority would be determining if the behavior in question actually causes harm to outsiders. If not, then the policy should be live and let live. With regard to homosexuals, it would be Love and let Love. Since that is all it's about.

Unfortunately, the very people that want the government out of our lives economically don't feel that way when it comes to that based on religious objections. Just sayin...