Anderson Cooper outs himself

On the average, more than three women are killed every day by their intimate partner. More than three. Every day.

Millions more are beaten to within an inch of their lives every single year.

Think first, then type.

I think he meant straight people are not attacked and beaten or killed just for being straight.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have. Went to a college that was maybe 30% gay...which meant that the militant gays who see ANY expression of heterosexuality as an indictment of their own preference were FAR more prevalent than in the real world. Still a small minority...but a large enough group to be seriously annoying and occasionally dangerous (I know of two heterosexuals who were "gay-raped," for lack of a better term, while I was at school).

What college was that Tom?

1341513789[/url]' post='2498313']

It's exactly the same logic Dan is betwixed over in his post. But it's okay for poles because ... they're poles? There's no difference between a gay pride parade (which happens once a year) and Dyngus Day. There's no difference. Both events even have weird fetishes (guys in drag in one, dudes whipping chicks with kitty willows in the other).

Both are just people celebrating who they are.

Neither the people in Dyngus Day or Gay Pride Parades are celebrating being the same as everyone else. They're both celebrating being different.

For a day.

I have no problem with gay pride events dyngus day or any other celebration anyone may want to partake. However, when you strut down the street today in drag whipping some chicks, don't be surprised when people look at you differently tomorrow, and some even look at you discriminatorily.

In my opinion, its called discretion. If you want to be treated the same as everyone else, then you should act like everyone else. Its basic human nature. If you're a curvacious young blonde that wants to be taken seriously at the office; don't wear a cleavage showing blouse and short skirt to the board room. If you're an atheist in an all Baptist neighborhood and you want to be president of the HOA; don't put a dawrin fish on your car. And so forth. I'm not saying never be proud of your culture or whatever, but if you flaunt your differences be prepared for someone to discriminate based on those differences.

People are gay. Fine. I get it, no problem. But if you don't want people to make an issue of it, then neither should you.

I have no problem with gay pride events dyngus day or any other celebration anyone may want to partake. However, when you strut down the street today in drag whipping some chicks, don't be surprised when people look at you differently tomorrow, and some even look at you discriminatorily.

In my opinion, its called discretion. If you want to be treated the same as everyone else, then you should act like everyone else. Its basic human nature. If you're a curvacious young blonde that wants to be taken seriously at the office; don't wear a cleavage showing blouse and short skirt to the board room. If you're an atheist in an all Baptist neighborhood and you want to be president of the HOA; don't put a dawrin fish on your car. And so forth. I'm not saying never be proud of your culture or whatever, but if you flaunt your differences be prepared for someone to discriminate based on those differences.

People are gay. Fine. I get it, no problem. But if you don't want people to make an issue of it, then neither should you.

This is the lamest, most un-American thing Ive read in a long time. So if people dont want to be discriminated against, they should just pretend they are like the majority and lie to themselves and everyone else? Cant agree there.

Your point about the proper work attire has nothing to do with being gay, or black, or an atheist.

Edit: I dont mean to say everyone can/should run around doing whatever they want, acting however they like, and expect no repercussions. But to imply the discrimination is the individual's fault for being different, is ridiculous. The problem lies in the person doing the discriminating.

Edited by DrDareustein

You're missing the point. Gay Pride is one day of the year. The majority of people who participate in the event aren't dressed as inappropriately nor doing anything more lewd than you'd find at Dyngus Day. It's one day a year where they celebrate standing out.

Your original post wondered how they could operate with such hypocrisy (wanting to be treated the same while simultaneously wanting to stand out for being different). It's a valid question -- but one that applies to every group within the world, not just homosexuals. You think poles want to be treated differently? Of course not -- but that doesn't mean they don't see themselves as special because they were lucky enough to come from polish decent.

It's the same thing. There is no difference in principle between a Gay Pride parade and a Polish Day parade.

This is the lamest, most un-American thing Ive read in a long time. So if people dont want to be discriminated against, they should just pretend they are like the majority and lie to themselves and everyone else? Cant agree there.

Your point about the proper work attire has nothing to do with being gay, or black, or an atheist.

Edit: I dont mean to say everyone can/should run around doing whatever they want, acting however they like, and expect no reprocussions. But to imply the discrimination is the individual's fault for being different, is ridiculous. The problem lies in the person doing the discriminating.

but did you see what she was wearing. she tooottallly deserved what was coming to her. no? the old blame the victim routine?

i agree 100% with you, and will also echo your edit as well. yes, there is an element of just because you have freedom of speech doesnt mean you dont have freedom from repurcussions... but really, i dont think anyones complaining about the guy in chaps at the pride parade not getting hired to be a law clerk for a conservative judge, when people are saying they want to be treated as equals. as a straight man theres plenty i could still do that would paint me in a negative light and effect my future prospects. the equality is dealing with those issues in a fair and consistent manner.

i dont expect to be fired for being polish, or for celebrating dyngus day, but if i blow off work, get wasted, and am on tv chasing my bosses daughter with "kitty" willows, I may find myself facing trouble potentially. theres an element of common sense involved here, if you ask me.

the fact that this conversation is so hung up on pride parades is amusing.

Edited by NoSaint

Christ almighty all we need is a new Tom suck up.

I know in "the NATURAL scheme of nature" (my favorite quote of JiA), laughing at Tom's jokes might be a dead end in evolution, but I can't help it if the man has genius comedic timing in his posts.

You're missing the point. Gay Pride is one day of the year.

Not in Castro, Dupont Circle, or Fire Island.

And the point, I think, is more: scream "I'm special!" from the rooftops, and don't expect to be treated that way. No one likes a braggart.

You're missing the point. Gay Pride is one day of the year. The majority of people who participate in the event aren't dressed as inappropriately nor doing anything more lewd than you'd find at Dyngus Day. It's one day a year where they celebrate standing out.

Your original post wondered how they could operate with such hypocrisy (wanting to be treated the same while simultaneously wanting to stand out for being different). It's a valid question -- but one that applies to every group within the world, not just homosexuals. You think poles want to be treated differently? Of course not -- but that doesn't mean they don't see themselves as special because they were lucky enough to come from polish decent.

It's the same thing. There is no difference in principle between a Gay Pride parade and a Polish Day parade.

you mean the average gay person isnt in chaps 365 days a year demanding to be let into corporate board rooms?

Edited by NoSaint

but did you see what she was wearing. she tooottallly deserved what was coming to her. no? the old blame the victim routine?

i agree 100% with you, and will also echo your edit as well. yes, there is an element of just because you have freedom of speech doesnt mean you dont have freedom from repurcussions... but really, i dont think anyones complaining about the guy in chaps at the pride parade not getting hired to be a law clerk for a conservative judge, when people are saying they want to be treated as equals. as a straight man theres plenty i could still do that would paint me in a negative light and effect my future prospects. the equality is dealing with those issues in a fair and consistent manner.

i dont expect to be fired for being polish, or for celebrating dyngus day, but if i blow off work, get wasted, and am on tv chasing my bosses daughter with "kitty" willows, I may find myself facing trouble potentially. theres an element of common sense involved here, if you ask me.

the fact that this conversation is so hung up on pride parades is amusing.

+1

(and to DrD's initial post as well)

1341519591[/url]' post='2498406']

Edit: I dont mean to say everyone can/should run around doing whatever they want, acting however they like, and expect no reprocussions. But to imply the discrimination is the individual's fault for being different, is ridiculous. The problem lies in the person doing the discriminating.

On the surface, I completely agree with you. However, the reality of the world and human nature disagrees with you and I.

All I'm saying is that if you dress or act differently from the majority or the norm, expect to be treated differently. Unconform all you want. But, don't complain when people look at you differently. I would argue what we're doing is as un-American as anything I can thing of ... legislate the right to be different.

If you're that hot chick in a low cut top and tight-fitting skirt, you have to work twice as hard as the middle-aged white man to be taken seriously. That's just reality. If you're openly atheist, expect all the Baptists in town to try to save your soul. That's just reality. I'm not saying its right, its just the way the world is. If you're gay and you want to be treated like everyone else, don't run around screaming how gay you are.

On the surface, I completely agree with you. However, the reality of the world and human nature disagrees with you and I.

All I'm saying is that if you dress or act differently from the majority or the norm, expect to be treated differently. Unconform all you want. But, don't complain when people look at you differently. I would argue what we're doing is as un-American as anything I can thing of ... legislate the right to be different.

If you're that hot chick in a low cut top and tight-fitting skirt, you have to work twice as hard as the middle-aged white man to be taken seriously. That's just reality. If you're openly atheist, expect all the Baptists in town to try to save your soul. That's just reality. I'm not saying its right, its just the way the world is. If you're gay and you want to be treated like everyone else, don't run around screaming how gay you are.

No it's not. In reality, that hot chick with the nice rack doesn't have to work twice as hard ... she's hot with a nice rack.

No it's not. In reality, that hot chick with the nice rack doesn't have to work twice as hard ... she's hot with a nice rack.

He said "be taken seriously." Not "get attention." No one takes Megan Fox seriously.

He said "be taken seriously." Not "get attention." No one takes Megan Fox seriously.

And yet, she never needs to work a day in her life.

But the jokes about screwing in lightbulbs take on different meaning

:lol:

And more shocking!