• Uphold individual mandate but strike down other provisions
    • Strike down Indivdual Mandate but uphold remainder
    • Strike down Individual Mandate and other provisions
    • Strike down in entirety

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another board, I have already read that companies are cutting staff. The guy said that two jobs he had applied for were cut within minutes of the decision. Watch unemployment soar when June and July's data is out.

Nullification really is the only option that I can see. Senate only needs 51 votes to repeal Obamacare, but they will never do it, not even with a Republican majority. Hiding behind supreme court decisions is a great way to avoid confronting hot button issues. As with Roe V. Wade, we'll be told that the solution is to appoint a majority of conservative supreme court justices to overturn the Obamacare decision. This will never happen of course, thus giving federal lawmakers the luxury of avoiding the issue forever.

Nobody has said anything about this post? Really?

Tom? OC? Anyone?

Our prez is a idiot so why not a supreme court justice. Not that unreasonable really

Sorry Dante, I dislike this ruling as much as you do, but CJ Roberts is far from being an idiot.

Nobody has said anything about this post? Really?

Tom? OC? Anyone?

Sorry Dante, I dislike this ruling as much as you do, but CJ Roberts is far from being an idiot.

He's not a idiot I agree. What does that make him? A closet leftist? Maybe he's compromised some way? I have no idea but all I know is it's very discouraging when so called Constitutional scholars don't seem to adhere to it.

On another board, I have already read that companies are cutting staff. The guy said that two jobs he had applied for were cut within minutes of the decision. Watch unemployment soar when June and July's data is out.

Yep. It's going to be ugly. This will end up a pyrrhic victory for Barry.

I started the day thinking that the result would be like when the Bills signed Mark Anderson, good but not great, but then was pleasantly surprised when they went all in and got Mario Williams. Thankfully Roberts put law over ideology.

A constitutional law whose idea was started by the conservative Heritage Foundation in 1989, and then implemented as Romneycare in Mass., which it was modeled after, but is now opposed for political reasons because it was enacted by a Democrat. In 20 years people will look upon this and same-sex marriage like we do now about the Civil Rights Act. Lots of protests and claims it will be the ruin of the country when enacted, but now considered common sense.

The best thing Romney could have done to win over moderates would have been to embrace Romneycare. But he couldn't and still win the primary, and now he's in too deep to go back to his previous stand from 2006; "With regards to the individual mandate, the individual responsibility program that I proposed, I was very pleased that the compromise between the two houses includes the personal responsibility mandate. That is essential for bringing the health care costs down for everyone and getting everyone the health insurance they need."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/28/old-video-shows-romney-lauding-old-health-care-mandate/

Justice Ginsberg even cited Romneycare as part of the reason to uphold the Affordable Care Act. 'Writing on the subject of providing affordable insurance to those with preexisting conditions, Ginsburg noted that Massachusetts “cracked [the] adverse selection problem.” and highlighted briefs explaining “the success of Massachusetts’ reforms.”

Under the Massachusetts health system, most residents were required to buy insurance so that insurance companies wouldn’t be left only with sick customers – and thus skyrocketing premiums.

“As a result, federal lawmakers observed, Massachusetts succeeded where other States had failed,” Ginsburg wrote.

Ginsburg also referenced a brief “noting … the Commonwealth’s reforms” which “reduced the number of uninsured residents to less than 2%, the lowest rate in the Nation, and cut the amount of uncompensated care by a third… In coupling the minimum coverage provision with guaranteed­ issue and community-rating prescriptions, Congress followed Massachusetts’ lead.”

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/06/ginsburg-opinion-cites-massachusetts-law-127565.html

You do know that there's a difference between the powers of a state government and the powers of the federal government, right?

You're right. This is just the nail in the coffin. It's outside both the letter and spirit of the constitution. Probably the worst decision handed down since Wickard.

Don't know what Wickard was, but Kelo, which gave local governments the right to condem property for economic development--i.e. eminent domain--was the worst I've ever seen. The healthcare mandate would be a close second.

Don't know what Wickard was, but Kelo, which gave local governments the right to condem property for economic development--i.e. eminent domain--was the worst I've ever seen. The healthcare mandate would be a close second.

But there is no Health Care Mandate, that's Unconstitutional

It's a tax now

looked for the first time at the poll numbers for this thread. this should be pinned directly to the thread about ideology of the board. over 70% predicted the individual mandate would bre shot down. i submit that a significant majority of this board is just plain wrong.

looked for the first time at the poll numbers for this thread. this should be pinned directly to the thread about ideology of the board. over 70% predicted the individual mandate would bre shot down. i submit that a significant majority of this board is just plain wrong.

Or five people in black robes.

Intrade hade it at 72% that it would be struck down, so this boards view was a microcosm of what the general public was feeling as well.

Wickard was the third and most egregious of a string of cases where the court expanded the scope of the commerce clause to the point that it included virtually everything imaginable. In short, the court said that a man growing wheat for personal consumption fell under the Feds' power to regulate interstate commerce b/c in the aggregate people growing their own wheat could indirectly impact wheat that might well have been sold across state lines. That was the day the constitution was really laid to rest. Since then we've just been masquerading around with it like Weedend at Bernie's.

Or five people in black robes.

More like one. The other 4 were just following in goosesteps.

But Obama said it wasn't a tax.

Barry also said he'd have the most transparent presidency ever. He lied.

Oh, the irony! :lol:

Says the man who's AMA doctrine is "no healthcare reform at all even if it is disastrous as is." Can you not work to within a cooperative setting to make government work as opposed to declaring it should not exist? :nana: