Young slightly ahead of Thigpen in Backup QB race

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know the season will be over before it started if Fitz goes down. Everyone keeps saying that the Bills could do no wrong this off season, most of the holes are filled, etc.. Well, I can tell you one thing, this team does not have a snowball's chance in Hell if a certain injury hits a certain player. Not addressing the QB position properly in the draft over how many years now could come back to bite em.....

Blah blah blah. This has been discussed MANY times. Almost EVERY contender would be screwed if their starting QB went down! You think the Giants would go win a Super Bowl without Eli Manning?

Young will get the job, it's a forgone conclusion...

i can think of many middle of the pack teams that dont know which guy is the starter (seattle for instance).

the jets would be a good candidate for this as well

Yeah, but if they are middle of the pack, it doesn't make much difference, does it? Their QB is likely a big reason why they are "middle of the pack...

Good to know the season will be over before it started if Fitz goes down. Everyone keeps saying that the Bills could do no wrong this off season, most of the holes are filled, etc.. Well, I can tell you one thing, this team does not have a snowball's chance in Hell if a certain injury hits a certain player. Not addressing the QB position properly in the draft over how many years now could come back to bite em.....

vince young is as good a qb as fitzy is. fitzy will just drive the fans less insane because he usually makes smart decisions..-and he isn't emotionally immature. but i think ole vince gives your team just as good a chance to win as fitzy does.who would i rather see start? fitz.

Blah blah blah. This has been discussed MANY times. Almost EVERY contender would be screwed if their starting QB went down! You think the Giants would go win a Super Bowl without Eli Manning?

Young will get the job, it's a forgone conclusion...

Yeah, but if they are middle of the pack, it doesn't make much difference, does it? Their QB is likely a big reason why they are "middle of the pack...

In that case, yes. Very few teams have probowl backup qbs.

Florio reports rumblings that VY is having trouble picking up the offense.

Linky?

Edit: Found it

Nothing new here, it's basically just speculation based on Gailey's Thursday interview transcript. Any QB has a tall order to learn a new offense in 3-4 weeks and from what I understand, the Bills spread offense isn't all that simple with multiple route variations based on pre-snap reads, and a fair dependence on the WR and QB making the same read. Really means nothing until training camp. If VY works overtime at the book he has 4 weeks to "get it". I wonder if he will ask Fitzy for help? If he did, he'd get it. But that would be a fairly big slice of "humble pie".

Actual Gailey words below - they sound much more positive than the spin placed on them by the PFT gossip:

On QB Vince Youngicon-article-link.gif:

He has done a very good job considering the circumstances. He had to come in and try to learn all of that stuff. It is very difficult. It would not have been as hard two years ago, but we are in so much more of an advanced stage now than we were two years ago. He is trying to learn what the base concepts are and how we have advanced to where we are today without the benefit of going through the baby steps. It has been tough on him but he has got a natural feel for playing the position. That is going to be another good battle in camp.

On if his Young’s experience gives him an edge over Tyler Thigpenicon-article-link.gif for the backup QB role:

It does in that respect. He has more experience than Tyler (Thigpen). Tyler has more experience in this offense than Vince. There is probably a tradeoff there in some degree.

On if the backup QB role will be decided in camp:

Yes. That is the way we see it.

Edited by Hopeful

If we don't have a solid answer at QB by the end of this year then I would expect Buffalo to make trades & do what they have to to get their QB of the future in next years draft. Barkley anyone?

I would be very surprised if the Bills don't address the QB position high in the draft next year regardless of whether or not Fitz does well.

I would be very surprised if the Bills don't address the QB position high in the draft next year regardless of whether or not Fitz does well.

I expect them to address QB also but I would add that Nix does not reach for players based on positional needs so I think for the Bills to draft a quarterback high, it might be a case where need meets opportunity.

Since Nix took over, the Bills have spent just a 7th rounder on Levi Brown in 2010.

They have repeatedly passed over available quarterbacks, for better or worse, not showing the aggression to "reach" for one.

Nix publicly stated he would take Cam Newton were he to fall to the Bills, which he didn't. A lot of people believe that the Bills would have taken Christian Ponder in the 2nd round had the Vikings not taken him 12th overall, FWIW.

However this year they went high on the hog to win the Mario Williams Derby, spending huge sums of money when none of us really thought they would.

Could they show a surprising change in tack in next year's draft if they think they can't wait any longer to address the position? Might they overreach for a player or put together a package of picks to move up for one?

Are you guys serious? Its mini-camp and Vince Young was signed much later in the off-season so I am not going to call the guy a bust just because he isn't looking so good in shorts. Lets wait for actual training camp to see what these guys can actually do.

Are you guys serious? Its mini-camp and Vince Young was signed much later in the off-season so I am not going to call the guy a bust just because he isn't looking so good in shorts. Lets wait for actual training camp to see what these guys can actually do.

:thumbsup:

Pre season games will tell us who our 2nd string QB will be. I'm not really worried about it.

I expect them to address QB also but I would add that Nix does not reach for players based on positional needs so I think for the Bills to draft a quarterback high, it might be a case where need meets opportunity.

Since Nix took over, the Bills have spent just a 7th rounder on Levi Brown in 2010.

They have repeatedly passed over available quarterbacks, for better or worse, not showing the aggression to "reach" for one.

Nix publicly stated he would take Cam Newton were he to fall to the Bills, which he didn't. A lot of people believe that the Bills would have taken Christian Ponder in the 2nd round had the Vikings not taken him 12th overall, FWIW.

However this year they went high on the hog to win the Mario Williams Derby, spending huge sums of money when none of us really thought they would.

Could they show a surprising change in tack in next year's draft if they think they can't wait any longer to address the position? Might they overreach for a player or put together a package of picks to move up for one?

This

..or go the mediocre qb/dominating D route and pkg to move up for a stud d front 7 guy??

It is looking like we are 2 LBs and a starting QB away from serious contention--but would a stud LB and another vgood Dlineman(or vice versa)accomplish something similar? FA looms big again next yr as the bills will likely be picking 18-24ish.