Young slightly ahead of Thigpen in Backup QB race

the decision is likely to come down to whether chan wants to try to continue to run his system if fitz is unavailable, or whether he is content to let vy more or less wing it if he has to play

thigpens stats as a starter arent horrible at all, about 56% compl pcent and most importantly very few picks. not many td either but on a team with great runners and a stout defense you can win as long as you dont turn the ball over. they would just plug him in, run the same offense, and call more running plays out of those spread formations

if they keep vy then they have to be ready to switch the offense to a more traditional package, more two back and two te sets, in order to set up the play action that requires fewer reads. then they let vy do his thing, including letting him scramble for yardege, maybe even setting up some roll outs that give him the option just to sprint down the field if its open

who knows which way they will go. i can see arguments for both. but i think this idea about vy having field charisma is bull. if he had that theres no way philly ever would have let him walk, and the bills wouldnt be the only team to give him his last chance

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the decision is likely to come down to whether chan wants to try to continue to run his system if fitz is unavailable, or whether he is content to let vy more or less wing it if he has to play

thigpens stats as a starter arent horrible at all, about 56% compl pcent and most importantly very few picks. not many td either but on a team with great runners and a stout defense you can win as long as you dont turn the ball over. they would just plug him in, run the same offense, and call more running plays out of those spread formations

if they keep vy then they have to be ready to switch the offense to a more traditional package, more two back and two te sets, in order to set up the play action that requires fewer reads. then they let vy do his thing, including letting him scramble for yardege, maybe even setting up some roll outs that give him the option just to sprint down the field if its open

who knows which way they will go. i can see arguments for both. but i think this idea about vy having field charisma is bull. if he had that theres no way philly ever would have let him walk, and the bills wouldnt be the only team to give him his last chance

Why you think it is Bull. He came into TENN and turned their year around. Starting with us a few years ago. The guy is a winner and is liked by his teammates, from what i have heard. My point is, Thigpen has not looked good at all as a Bill. He had one year under Gailey in KC, other then that, what can you say about the guy? IF Young can learn the playbook, he has way more potential then Thigpen, way more. And it is not even Potential, the guy has won in this league multiple years. Can we say that about Thigpen?

Young is learning the offense. I wouldn't begin to doubt that acquisition just yet. Also, we won't get any super positive reports on any QB but Fitz.

Won't get any positive reports on any QB but Fitz.....Don't tell me, let me guess :devil:

..............................it must be a media conspiracy against Vince Young! That poor beleagured guy!

I agree, give Young time to learn the playbook. We'll see what we see in the preseason.

Unlike OTAs, the minicamps are open to all the media, not just Bills shills. If Thigpen or Young were wowing the team and lighting the place up, I feel quite certain we'd hear more positive stuff.

Well, it kind of depends on how well Young actually masters the book, doesn't it? Philly last year doesn't look promising, but guys get religion about the need to work hard at the preparation at all times in their life. I do rather agree that if VY had wonderful field charisma that supermagically inspired his teammates, his Philly record would be 3-0 not 1-2 and he'd still be wearing a goofy green helmet.

A point about Thigpen though. How do you define "very few"? Thigpen has 21 TD and 18 picks, 3.6%. Fitz 68 to 65, 3.7%. Young, by the way, was 42 and 42, 3.5% until last year. Last year, well....

Young is learning the offense. I wouldn't begin to doubt that acquisition just yet. Also, we won't get any super positive reports on any QB but Fitz.

I have to agree Young is going to become an asset. The front office is wound pretty tight right now and trying to dial it in for "The Run ".

No controversy here. competition for # 2. If Young is smart enough to pick it up, he is sure more athletic than The Thig.

If he is almost as smart as Thigpen he wins. i get the feeling he has an upside if he can deal with Bills fierce mentality of winning

Edited by 3rdand12

Houston did go to the playoffs with #3

True. The colts are also good example of what could have happened to many teams. Its apparent teams with stout d's great wr's and top notch running games can weather losing their starting qb better than those who's offenses rely on the starting qb with a big drop off from first to second string.

Good to know the season will be over before it started if Fitz goes down. Everyone keeps saying that the Bills could do no wrong this off season, most of the holes are filled, etc.. Well, I can tell you one thing, this team does not have a snowball's chance in Hell if a certain injury hits a certain player. Not addressing the QB position properly in the draft over how many years now could come back to bite em.....

Just about every team in the league is toast if their starter goes down.

I think the fact that Young is ahead speaks highly of Young and lowly of Thigpen.

Young has had very little time with our system, and as Chan said, we are in year three of it. I can only imagine he'll start looking better and better as time goes by. Hopefully we don't need him, but I'm glad we have a backup of Young's ability.

How many teams in the NFL would NOT be screwed if their starter went down? I can think of one. Dallas.

Are you referring to the QB with the second highest active passer rating in the NFL at 96.9? - The guy that has the second best career rating in NFL history, behind only Aaron Rodgers? - The dude that has a higher passer rating than than legends Dan Marino, Peyton Manning and Steve Young?

Good to know the season will be over before it started if Fitz goes down. Everyone keeps saying that the Bills could do no wrong this off season, most of the holes are filled, etc.. Well, I can tell you one thing, this team does not have a snowball's chance in Hell if a certain injury hits a certain player. Not addressing the QB position properly in the draft over how many years now could come back to bite em.....

"Most of the holes" were filled. But this roster had so many problems, they couldn't fill all of them.

The Bills are hardly the only team really hoping their starting QB doesn't get hurt. I'd rather praise the FO for what they did accomplish than criticize them for what they didn't.

Not all draft picks or FA signing will work out. I hope VY does work out as a second-stringer. When you look at his physical skills and his 'resume,' there's some reason to believe he can be a good back-up, maybe more. But every signing is a gamble and perhaps we'll lose this one. I'm still really pleased with the FO and the offseason they just completed.

I dunno about that. I think Chan will find a way to mold him into a better QB. Letting him just wing is definitely not going to be a part of the equation. That scenario has all ready played out with VY on other teams and will be avoided at all costs on this team. The Bills don't mind giving him a chance to prove himself but he will be on a short leash. He could win the backup job, and if so, he will have to get his reps in quick and learn. If the coaches don't think he can do that, the job will be Thigpen's.

How many teams in the NFL would NOT be screwed if their starter went down? I can think of one. Dallas.

I am shocked and amazed that nobody has brought up TIMTEBOW!!!. The jests would be led to the promised land if sanchez were to go down.

True. The colts are also good example of what could have happened to many teams. Its apparent teams with stout d's great wr's and top notch running games can weather losing their starting qb better than those who's offenses rely on the starting qb with a big drop off from first to second string.

Yep, you nailed the Houston recipe for surviving QB injury:

1) stout defense

2) strong running game

3) retool the offensive game plan to rely more on the run

WR who can compensate for QB inaccuracy help, but only if the QB does manage to get the ball in their vicinity and avoid the INT.

Edited by Hopeful

FWIW: According to Pro Football Talk, Thigpen may have the edge on VY...Florio speculating more than anything...but this is the first I had heard that VY was having been having trouble picking up the Bills offense. Gailey's tweet gives me the sense that it may be true.

http://video.nbcsports.msnbc.com/nbc-sports/47924947

Edited by Buftex

Why you think it is Bull. He came into TENN and turned their year around. Starting with us a few years ago. The guy is a winner and is liked by his teammates, from what i have heard. My point is, Thigpen has not looked good at all as a Bill. He had one year under Gailey in KC, other then that, what can you say about the guy? IF Young can learn the playbook, he has way more potential then Thigpen, way more. And it is not even Potential, the guy has won in this league multiple years. Can we say that about Thigpen?

I agree with the upper case IF on Vince Young's ability to learn the playbook. (and his willingness to execute it ala Chan's intent)

Tennessee was a world of difference. They were struggling with an identity, had retooled since their SB appearance, and got a hump of success from QB. He was not and has shown not to be a QB of reliability.

The Bills on the other hand, have an upside, growing confidence and do not need to throw their hopes in faith. We have answers, a direction, a future. Its not up to us to show it. The players are the ones who need to believe and by all accounts they are.

I am not pro VY or anti VY. I want the best backup we can get.

Vince Young's greatest obstacle to success coming to Buffalo was, from the start, his ability to pick up a new system and process it good enough to be able to lead the team in a real game. He'll no doubt get to go over everything he's learned and been through these past 3 weeks over the course of the next month and then he'll get more coaching and practice in training camp.

Also, coach Lee's mentoring, with mechanics especially, take time to become evident. When players are learning to do things a little differently with their throwing motion it sometimes actually looks like they're regressing for a while, and then when it becomes muscle memory you begin to see the real improvements. I would think this is going to apply to Fitz, Young, and even Thigpen. They won't show a great improvement in accuracy for a while, but then it will become noticeable - hopefully by the start of the regular season!

With Young, this delayed improvement might be twofold. He will look, at times, maybe not so good (on account of having to process the plays and lean too much on thinking about things at first), but, then, it'll probably happen kind of quickly when the time comes - he'll know the offense, have confidence, won't have to think about it so much, and Lee's coaching will have had time to sink in - all that probably won't be evident until the middle to end of training camp.

Until then it'll just be wait and see. But, my bet is on Young to be our 2nd QB, and I think he'll have some games during the preseason - as he'll get the bulk of the action - where he will look so good there will be rumblings, by some, that he should be the starter. I'm hoping Fitz hits camp and especially the season looking incredible, so we won't have to worry about the QB controversy.