Unbelievably sad video out of Greece...NY

And I'm sure the kid that shot this would be jumping at the chance to present evidence against himself.

Unless his voice is on the video what evidence against himself is he presenting. WTF dudes. We should just merge this with the "I'm afraid of little spiders" thread on OTW.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is shameful behavior.

Isn't it? I saw that there were a couple other videos posted, by the same kid, from different days. The lady wasn't quite as docile with the kids, but she would make threats that, in today's world, probably only made things worse for her. She was clearly over-matched by these little pricks. She would say things like (paraphrasing) "I'm gonna put your face on a poster. It will say, "this is not a good boy" Of course the kids just laugh their asses off at her benign threat, and, it seems (or I imagine) things just escalated from there, and got worse by the day. I think in the article the poor old lady even says "they were never this bad on other days"...jeez, she looks like every other friends grandmother that I grew up with in WNY.

Is it crazy that I feel even worse about this, because it happened so close to home? That upstate New York accent never sounded more hideous to me when the kid is making the crack about the lady buying her purse at Wegmans.

Well sure, in retrospect since we know it was taped. I'm not disagreeing about what should have happened, Chef. But I can certainly understand why any bus driver/monitor would be reluctant to take those measures given the potential for backlash.

What potential backlash??? So if it wasn't taped you interview each kid in the bus. Not all kids are bad. If we're afraid take matters in our own hands the mini !@#$ing terrorists have won

Update-

These kids are in a world of ****, all the kids and their parents personal information (Facebooks, phones etc) are going viral all over the internet. I bet these punks don't think they're so cool now.

PS-For DC Tom, all the kids have white sounding names before you even suggest it.

Public schooling. Nuff said.

Gimme a break. It's a school in the suburbs of Rochester. Not all public schools are the same.

And as someone who has worked in schools, this doesn't surprise me one bit. There are simply a lot of punks now. You don't know how much patience it takes not to put some of this kids in their place. But God forbid a staff puts a student in their place, even though it's probably the best thing for them in the long run. The second a parent (who is probably the main reason the kid feels they act that way in 1st place) hears some staff raised their voice to their angel, there will be hell to pay. Kids have "school muscles" and feel they can say whatever they want. And for the most part, they can.

I hear a news reporter say that parents should watch this video with their kids. If their kids find it amusing, then it's time to have a serious talk with them. The fact that someone feels it's ok to treat another human being this way is depressing. Of course, I'm a board where grown men throw insults at each other and demean the POTUS. :pirate:

Update-

These kids are in a world of ****, all the kids and their parents personal information (Facebooks, phones etc) are going viral all over the internet. I bet these punks don't think they're so cool now.

PS-For DC Tom, all the kids have white sounding names before you even suggest it.

Good. And some of the most racist people I have ever met where from the Iroqoius schools. It's something to be proud of. :thumbsup:

I'll grant you the schools are reluctant to suspend kids because it makes them look bad. If you suspend less kids, you instantly have data to "prove" you are doing a better job.

But what can a school do that a parent can't do better?

It's not an either or issue. The ultimate responsibility is with the parents. But schools also need to take back their ground which is when the parents drop the kids off.

Funny for all the wrangling about teachers' salaries, performance etc, no one ever wants to talk about restoring hard core discipline in schools. This case should be a prime example of where a district head should say, "Enough. We are not going to put up with this crap during school hours. We are taking back the school." Yet, the statements from the district official was the opposite.

Gimme a break. It's a school in the suburbs of Rochester. Not all public schools are the same.

And as someone who has worked in schools, this doesn't surprise me one bit. There are simply a lot of punks now. You don't know how much patience it takes not to put some of this kids in their place. But God forbid a staff puts a student in their place, even though it's probably the best thing for them in the long run. The second a parent (who is probably the main reason the kid feels they act that way in 1st place) hears some staff raised their voice to their angel, there will be hell to pay. Kids have "school muscles" and feel they can say whatever they want. And for the most part, they can.

I hear a news reporter say that parents should watch this video with their kids. If their kids find it amusing, then it's time to have a serious talk with them. The fact that someone feels it's ok to treat another human being this way is depressing. Of course, I'm a board where grown men throw insults at each other and demean the POTUS. :pirate:

Good. And some of the most racist people I have ever met where from the Iroqoius schools. It's something to be proud of. :thumbsup:

Greece is more a suburb of Newark or Seaside Heights than Rochester. Its a vile place full of slimy people with bright orange skin and crappy tattoos. An ocean of Ed Hardy t-shirts.

It's not an either or issue. The ultimate responsibility is with the parents. But schools also need to take back their ground which is when the parents drop the kids off.

Funny for all the wrangling about teachers' salaries, performance etc, no one ever wants to talk about restoring hard core discipline in schools. This case should be a prime example of where a district head should say, "Enough. We are not going to put up with this crap during school hours. We are taking back the school." Yet, the statements from the district official was the opposite.

I agree with you 100%. I went to one of the best public schools in the country but my mother and I decided I needed a little more discpline (and football for me), so I attended Canisius for high school. And since I wasn't a rich kid, I had to work for my education (work study, landscaping and general labor in the summer). Also, if you weren't doing what you were supposed to do, you got JUG (Justice Under God) and stayed after school and did more labor. This could be for silly things like facial hair or a short hair cut. But these lessons still serve me to this day.

I love working in schools but the amount of disrespect from kids is sickening. I'm not a small guy so kids won't say things to me. If I found out a student was bullying another student, I'd jokingly say if you don't stop, I'll start bullying you and it would stop. But so many kids come from crappy families and have no respect or consequences for their actions. And schools have their hands tied. Their solution to problems is to cut staff and evaluate teachers strictly on test scores (how do you get a kid who misses 75% of their days to pass?). Unfortunately, there aren't many easy answers.

I remember growing up, if I ever had a conflict with a teacher (really any adult), or another kid at school or in the neighborhood, my parents never took my side...I was always guilty as charged, even if I wasn't. It wasn't fair, but I think it made me avoid a lot of potentially bad situations. Fear starts at home!

That is one of the best points I hadn't thought of. +1

The sad part is that a grown adult sat there and let the kids do this to her. She's a bus monitor for God's sake. It goes like this lady. "Stop the bus now. You, you and you......off the bus." We have become a society afraid of children.

That would be a major liability issue.

Edited by Adam

That is one of the best points I hadn't thought of. +1

That would be a major liability issue.

!@#$ the liability issue. The little ***** are out of control. You stop the bus, take the phone from the kid go to their contacts list look up mom and/or dad and dial. Tell mom and dad what their little ***** are doing and kick them off the bus and have mom and/or dad come pick them up. You do this with every one of those little *****. There may be some blow back from the parents but you know wha,t in order to straighten that stuff out you have to take some control regardless of the consequences.

I saw kids doing this on the bus (city bus) in Rochester in 1986. Nothing has changed since then at least. In those Lord of the Flies moments, cruelty can take over for kids. Kids (teens especially) since weakness and fear and group together to poke it. Mob-think rules the teen mind.

My bus used to stop at a mental hospital and the McQuaid students were incredibly cruel to some of the people.

Edited by John Adams

!@#$ the liability issue. The little ***** are out of control. You stop the bus, take the phone from the kid go to their contacts list look up mom and/or dad and dial. Tell mom and dad what their little ***** are doing and kick them off the bus and have mom and/or dad come pick them up. You do this with every one of those little *****. There may be some blow back from the parents but you know wha,t in order to straighten that stuff out you have to take some control regardless of the consequences.

Chef, I agree with your overall point...but in this case, I am not sure if this woman would have even had the ability to do what you are suggesting. The argument could be made that maybe this wasn't the right job for this person, but it seems she was there, as a "monitor", under the false pretense that children will somehow defer to adults, and her mere presecence would make the kids behave.

Like I said in another post, there are videos of the same woman, on days prior to this, trying to corral these kids. It is pretty obvious she didn't have the mental dexterity to keep up with them...she would make threats of antiquated forms of punishment that only made the kids realize how powerless she really was. Sometimes being older and wiser gets trumped by ignorance and strenghth. It appears this is the case here.

And lets be honest...the way schools are being funded these days, in most places (not overly familiar with Greece, but I assume it is like most places), liability is a an issue.

Edited by Buftex

Even better, you stop the bus. You refuse to move until the student's responsible either give up thier phone numbers, and the monitor calls the parents to explain what is going on, or you call thier parents and have them meet the bus to pick up the kids.

Nothing is worse than being trapped on a school bus for hours, eventually, the "good" students will either rat the bad ones out, or police thier own and make sure that they don't have to suffer for other's stupidity...

I agree that something has to be done- maybe going back to the school and dropping off the kids, and letting the administration handle it. You can't just drop them off and leave them to wait for their parents. Too much room for something much worse to happen- what if a kid was kidnapped. Also, you can't just sit there with the other kids and wait for the parents to show up.

I agree with you 100%. I went to one of the best public schools in the country but my mother and I decided I needed a little more discpline (and football for me), so I attended Canisius for high school. And since I wasn't a rich kid, I had to work for my education (work study, landscaping and general labor in the summer). Also, if you weren't doing what you were supposed to do, you got JUG (Justice Under God) and stayed after school and did more labor. This could be for silly things like facial hair or a short hair cut. But these lessons still serve me to this day.

I love working in schools but the amount of disrespect from kids is sickening. I'm not a small guy so kids won't say things to me. If I found out a student was bullying another student, I'd jokingly say if you don't stop, I'll start bullying you and it would stop. But so many kids come from crappy families and have no respect or consequences for their actions. And schools have their hands tied. Their solution to problems is to cut staff and evaluate teachers strictly on test scores (how do you get a kid who misses 75% of their days to pass?). Unfortunately, there aren't many easy answers.

I agree the kids need more discipline, but many of the adults they learn from need to learn those same lessons.

Edited by Adam

I saw kids doing this on the bus (city bus) in Rochester in 1986. Nothing has changed since then at least. In those Lord of the Flies moments, cruelty can take over for kids. Kids (teens especially) since weakness and fear and group together to poke it. Mob-think rules the teen mind.

My bus used to stop at a mental hospital and the McQuaid students were incredibly cruel to some of the people.

Being locked up all day in a room full of horny Jesuits can lead to some strange and deviant behavior, for sure.

Kick them off the bus... Call the police and wait for them to come.

I agree that something has to be done- maybe going back to the school and dropping off the kids, and letting the administration handle it. You can't just drop them off and leave them to wait for their parents. Too much room for something much worse to happen- what if a kid was kidnapped. Also, you can't just sit there with the other kids and wait for the parents to show up.

What if they get kidnapped. :lol: Good, one less ****head for the world to deal with. And why can't you just sit there and wait for the parents to show up? I think kids need to learn that their actions affect many others that they sometimes had no intention of hurting.

Chef, I agree with your overall point...but in this case, I am not sure if this woman would have even had the ability to do what you are suggesting. The argument could be made that maybe this wasn't the right job for this person, but it seems she was there, as a "monitor", under the false pretense that children will somehow defer to adults, and her mere presecence would make the kids behave.

Like I said in another post, there are videos of the same woman, on days prior to this, trying to corral these kids. It is pretty obvious she didn't have the mental dexterity to keep up with them...she would make threats of antiquated forms of punishment that only made the kids realize how powerless she really was. Sometimes being older and wiser gets trumped by ignorance and strenghth. It appears this is the case here.

And lets be honest...the way schools are being funded these days, in most places (not overly familiar with Greece, but I assume it is like most places), liability is a an issue.

I think it's safe to say the bus driver was an adult too. :rolleyes:

Edited by Chef Jim

What if they get kidnapped. :lol: Good, one list ****head to deal with. And why can't you just sit there and wait for the parents to show up? I think kids need to learn that their actions affect many others that they sometimes had no intention of hurting.

I think it's safe to say the bus driver was an adult too. :rolleyes:

I guess the driver could get permission to wait- but to do that without getting that permission is to risk lawsuit or losing a job. Not saying that I think it's right, it's just how things work right now, unfortunately. Personally, I wish they'd allow the yard stick to be brought back.....

I guess the driver could get permission to wait- but to do that without getting that permission is to risk lawsuit or losing a job. Not saying that I think it's right, it's just how things work right now, unfortunately. Personally, I wish they'd allow the yard stick to be brought back.....

So there is abuse on that bus driver's bus and he/she need permission to stop the bus to get the unruley kids to behave? WTF is going on in this country? Ok so they need permission. They pull over and call and get permission.