Gailey on Merriman

Buddy was stupid for believing Merriman, still on the south side of 30, might be able to get over the injury hump and return to playing at a high level. And he wasted a lot of Ralph's money. Even if Merriman gets double digit sacks this season it won't have been worth it.

Or at least that's what I've read from the best fans in the NFL.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd actually love to see more players sleeping in those things. The results are proven. I guess the wives don't appreciate them as much as the fans. Kinda tough to get laid when you sleep in an isolated capsule.

:unsure: strange, Mrs. B encourages me to get one.

Buddy was stupid for believing Merriman, still on the south side of 30, might be able to get over the injury hump and return to playing at a high level. And he wasted a lot of Ralph's money. Even if Merriman gets double digit sacks this season it won't have been worth it.

<_< no, you haven't

If Shawne and Mario are on the field at the same time, say on a passing down, maybe one of them could roam along the line like Bruce used to do.

Very hard to defend when the pass rusher is in motion at the snap!

this ^ plus press coverage = multiple turnovers for junior ByrdMan!!

I am still having trouble believing all this news coming out of OTAs. cant wait to see these cats at ST John Fisher.

By all means, if Merriman is healthy as possible, it will be complete chaos.

I also take comfort in knowing that our defense will and should still be better even if he goes down.

Go Buffalo! Go Merriman!

:beer::thumbsup:

Edited by Dat '315' Dude

If Merriman can play, they could get really creative on passing downs. Imagine lining up Mario, Anderson, K. Williams and Dareus as front 4, Merriman as LB and 6 DBs then rushing 5.

It may seem far-fetched but if you're going to send 5 why not? Merriman could roam and rush from 2 point stance. Teams would either have to max protect or run short routes.

Been saying this for a long time. Merriman's best role will be as an OLB rushing next to Williams or Anderson. Leave Barnett or Sheppard at the MLB and drop 5 DB's. If they go 6 DB's then you will see a front 4 of Merriman or Anderson, Carrington at DT, Dareus, and M. Williams with a MLB. They can even get crazy with some 3-4 stuff with Mario as an OLB and Dareus/Carringotn at DE with K William or Troup at the NT to switch things up. If everyone stays healthy they can show so many different looks. I'm not sure that is Wanny's style but we will see soon...

I wouldn't even play Merriman in the pre-season. Why show your hand to the Jets. Let them guess where he is going to line up and don't take the chance of him getting banged up.

Mario will be lined up next to Dareus. Think about that for a moment....

That side of the opposing team's offensive line will be collapsing a lot and the QB will have no choice but to back pedal.

Now this is where speedy defensive ends like Anderson can come around from the other side and get to the QB. Anderson will have a lot of sacks because he likes to run around his man and then step in to get the QB. Mario and Dareus will be chasing the QB right into Anderson.

Now here is where NASCAR comes to Buffalo....

The Giants like to put four defensive ends on the field at the same time on obvious passing downs. They call it the NASCAR defense and this is a copycat league. I can see Merriman roaming the line seeking out weak spots While Kyle Williams, Dareus and company are trying to shoot through gaps as well. There are a lot of different things the Bills can do. Variations of the NASCAR defense, variations of a 4-3 Tampa style defense or possibly even some new wrinkles.

The thing that has me pumped, is that our Bills now actually have the personnel and depth to become perhaps one of the greatest defenses ever. I can't for them to put some pads on and start doing some real hitting.

Here is an interesting read on "NASCAR coming to Buffalo".

Edited by Rockinon

That side of the opposing team's offensive line will be collapsing a lot and the QB will have no choice but to back pedal.

Now this is where speedy defensive ends like Anderson can come around from the other side and get to the QB. Anderson will have a lot of sacks because he likes to run around his man and then step in to get the QB. Mario and Dareus will be chasing the QB right into Anderson.

The Giants like to put four defensive ends on the field at the same time on obvious passing downs. They call it the NASCAR defense and this is a copycat league. I can see Merriman roaming the line seeking out weak spots While Kyle Williams, Dareus and company are trying to shoot through gaps as well. There are a lot of different things the Bills can do. Variations of the NASCAR defense, variations of a 4-3 Tampa style defense or possibly even some new wrinkles.

The thing that has me pumped, is that our Bills now actually have the personnel and depth to become perhaps one of the greatest defenses ever. I can't for them to put some pads on and start doing some real hitting.

We should have been copying the Giants in 08 after they whacked the cheatriots with almost the same front. Better late than never.

We should have been copying the Giants in 08 after they whacked the cheatriots with almost the same front. Better late than never.

Perhaps, but we haven't had the horses to run it until now.

Liking this motif :thumbsup:

Even Maybin would do well opposite Dareus and Williams...

Carrington may be the fourth DE along with Dareus, Williams, Anderson, with Merriman at OLB...that is nasty

If he's pro bowler Merriman, awesome... for this year... then we won't be able to retain him.

I kind of hope he's "just" solid-good, so we can keep him around as depth and locker room presence. I want this core to be around for a few years!

But either way, if we get production out of him this year, it's going to be so awesome.

Gailey was saying much of the same about Merriman last year. In fact, everyone was saying how good he looked in training camp (he did look good) - but, before long he was uselessly injured. Now, it might be that his injury problem over these past three years was due to this achilles issue that is now finally fixed, and he will recover to somewhere near 90% of his old form, which might very well be pro-bowl calibre, even at that.

It was my opinion a few years ago when we signed him that he was a product of the Juice, and when the crackdown happened, and he could no longer use them, he lost his effectiveness. The timeline for those things and his decline match up. Then, when the players were on strike, they weren't subjected to random drug testing, and they were able to juice again. Merriman comes back from this time in what we all thought was his "old form". But, after some two to three months of REGULATED football, he was back to an injury. This only strengthened my beleif that he needs the Juice to stay healthy.

This season will go a long way towards proving whether he can get in, and stay in, playing shape - or, if his body is no longer able to endure an NFL season. I want nothing more than to find the surgery was a real success and he's able to add to what would then be, with his healthy contribution, no doubt the best D-line in the NFL. But, until he goes out and does it for the majority of a season, I just can't get too excited about it.

Gailey was saying much of the same about Merriman last year. In fact, everyone was saying how good he looked in training camp (he did look good) - but, before long he was uselessly injured. Now, it might be that his injury problem over these past three years was due to this achilles issue that is now finally fixed, and he will recover to somewhere near 90% of his old form, which might very well be pro-bowl calibre, even at that.

It was my opinion a few years ago when we signed him that he was a product of the Juice, and when the crackdown happened, and he could no longer use them, he lost his effectiveness. The timeline for those things and his decline match up. Then, when the players were on strike, they weren't subjected to random drug testing, and they were able to juice again. Merriman comes back from this time in what we all thought was his "old form". But, after some two to three months of REGULATED football, he was back to an injury. This only strengthened my beleif that he needs the Juice to stay healthy.

This season will go a long way towards proving whether he can get in, and stay in, playing shape - or, if his body is no longer able to endure an NFL season. I want nothing more than to find the surgery was a real success and he's able to add to what would then be, with his healthy contribution, no doubt the best D-line in the NFL. But, until he goes out and does it for the majority of a season, I just can't get too excited about it.

Merriman has taken at least 20 random drug tests in his career and failed one of them. His best season came after he was caught. He had 12.5 sacks the second year after he was caught and was repeatedly taking drug tests. And Gailey was not saying the same things last year, he was saying things like we have to be careful with him. He never said to my knowledge that he expects the old Merriman. Even two weeks ago he was very measured in his evaluation.

Merriman has taken at least 20 random drug tests in his career and failed one of them. His best season came after he was caught. He had 12.5 sacks the second year after he was caught and was repeatedly taking drug tests. And Gailey was not saying the same things last year, he was saying things like we have to be careful with him. He never said to my knowledge that he expects the old Merriman. Even two weeks ago he was very measured in his evaluation.

As I said, I hope he comes through this all and turns it back on and has 5 more great years with us. Still, I'm just reserved with him until he proves it, but I'm hoping a whole bunch he does prove it, because he's been great with us and his addition to our line would put us over the top.

If he's pro bowler Merriman, awesome... for this year... then we won't be able to retain him.

What makes you so sure? Buddy stuck with Shawne through two years of IR while all the "experts" (you included, I believe) called him a colossal bust.

So now you are predicting Merriman will dash for the cash, like he has no loyalty to the Bills, or that the Bills won't pay the man?

PTR

What makes you so sure? Buddy stuck with Shawne through two years of IR while all the "experts" (you included, I believe) called him a colossal bust.

So now you are predicting Merriman will dash for the cash, like he has no loyalty to the Bills, or that the Bills won't pay the man?

PTR

Players want to be on a kick ass team. we will be that team.

if he plays this year we will pay him respectfully i bet. Lets hope this is something we will have to sort out before next season!