Bills: a Top 5 D-line

Its been said before, but the new blog from the Buffalo News is truly a remarkable thing.

Great article...I especially like the comments about Kyle Williams and how he's not well known in the national media but damn do all of the players know who he is.

On paper, I would argue it's the best D line in the league already. Even the Giants don't have the overall talent that this team does with the top seven.

But the game isn't played on paper. It's impossible to rate right now. The most important line in the interviews was we have to see if the whole is better than the sum of its parts. If this group meshes together, then it is going to be scary as hell. There isn't a lot of reason to think it won't. Because of Buddy Nix and the kind of players that he likes and recruits, all of them are hard workers, smart, and team players. With decent coaching, which they should get, they should be able to put it together. If Merriman is 80%, holy hell.

Its been said before, but the new blog from the Buffalo News is truly a remarkable thing.

Great article...I especially like the comments about Kyle Williams and how he's not well known in the national media but damn do all of the players know who he is.

Totally agree, I am loving it!

It's amazing what one marquee free agent signing can do for a teams national profile. I wonder how much press the Bills would be getting if they did everything they did this offseason EXCEPT sign Mario Williams.

I love reading that from players - not media or fans - about Buffalo's potential. Think about it! Buffalo, just a year ago, definitely two years ago and for a long time, was the kind of team no players wanted to go to, and no coaches wanted to come here, either. Thanks to Nix, Gailey, and even Ralph Wilson, this team is beginning to have a roster that is exciting people - and it's getting deep, now, too, in places. By paying the players Buffalo has developed, Buffalo is only going to have a better reputation in that regard, too. All of a sudden you have two units - Defense and Offense - that are good enough, and the players are signed long enough that these units can be nucleus's for a few years, that key free agents, guys who might see themselves as the "final piece" could potentially want to come here. What a difference a few years and a competent GM can make.

I know we've seen people get excited about the Bills in years not too distant, but what makes this different, I think, is the players have been through the losing enough to know they don't want to go down that road again. They're willing to work hard, their coach isn't going to get a big head (except, maybe, when it comes to his offensive ability to outsmart opponents), and we have real talent that should give us a chance at every game. No one is openly saying SuperBowl, so the expectations aren't too high. I think if we make the playoffs then the monkey will be off our backs, and the team will be able to move forward without having to carry around these past losing seasons.

How ready are they? We'll have to wait and see.

Sabres were supposed to win the Stanley this year on paper, we did not even make the playoffs. This is not a game on paper, I will reserve anything until we actually see them play in the regular season and put up a crap load of sacks!

Yes but how many opposing players were saying the Sabres were scaring them?

PTR