FB or HB

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If our team does improve, and we start playing games with leads, we will need to be able to run when they see it comming to close out games. Need a true fullback for situations like that and goal line/short yardage packages I believe. If have to rely on being cute to get first downs, like using 4 wides, will have trouble closing out games.

Didn't he blow up wilfork on a goal line TD last year?

That was Kyle Love and that was a sick block.

The trouble is, particularly on the road vs Cincy and at home vs NJJ last year, when he was lined up in the backfield as a lead blocker, our run game was telegraphed. Now, don't get me wrong, if you are good enough to telegraph what you are doing and get the yardage anyway I'm all for that. My favorite kind of football is impose your will even when the opponent knows what you are going to do.

However, I felt like Chan tailored his gameplan in those two games to what he thought was the opposing D's weakness rather than to the Buffalo Bills' strengths. With C Mac on the field it told the D one of two things; we are either going to try to run or we are going to fake run and then pass with fewer receiving options than we really should have out there.

Dickerson, if he makes the team, can line up in the same set that C Mac lined up in last year in those aforementioned games and make us so less predictable in that same formation.

You would prolly never have him block Kyle Love on a goal line carry, but suddenly that formation that was so broken vs Thinthy (to quote Dan Deirdorf) and NJJ becomes very dangerous.

Would it be possible to keep 4 RBs (FJ, CJ, Choice, C Mac) and an H-Back?

Corey Mcintyre has been a good special teams player for the Bills for 4 years now, I believe he was a special teams captain. He has been less than productive as an offensive player however, having gained less than 140 total yards rushing and rec. in his entire 8 year NFL career.At age 33 he is also getting a little long in the tooth( pun intended/ likes those vampire eyeteeth).This preseason could be his swansong on the Bills roster.

Dorin Dickerson has been brought in to add some competion to the FB/HB/TE position. He is a 24 year old from Pitt. who has posted sub 4.4 40 times and is so adapt at catching the ball that he has even worked out at WR. He also has the Dave Wannstedt Pitt . connection going for him. Thus far in OTA's he has been taking most of the 1st team FB/HB snaps.Coach Gailey has stated that he wants to get more production from a position that has been overlooked on this team for several years now and has almost gushed at times of Dorin's potential there as well as his good blocking ability.

Add to this the depth the team has now to fill out the special teams roster with players like Tank C. and Nigel B.to mention just a few and things don't appear to rosey for Corey's chances for a 2012 roster spot.

What say you my TBD friends.

I hope not, guy is still a beast and it never hurts to have depth.

Also Dickerson needs to put on 20 Lbs of muscle if they expect him to actually block, we don't need another Larry centers when we have a perfectly fine Sam Gash. We don't use the FB as much as we did back then but that was the main reason the offense sputtered under Wade and led to the 8-8 season along with that horrible ST coach.

Dickerson want do what C Mac does. C Mac is a ground and pound blocker, gets down on the LB and drives them back. Dickerson will not do that he will be split out catch a lot of balls. If Dickerson does block then it will be OLB. Chan has said that Dickerson will not line up as TE but behind the line.

C Mac will get down the field with a head of speed and kill the returner or eat blocks on the returns, no chance Dickerson does that.

• 3 weeks later...

im pretty sure lee smith can be a monster blocker from any spot... te/hb/fb...

Dickerson want do what C Mac does.

C Mac is a ground and pound blocker, gets down on the LB and drives them back.
Dickerson will not do that he will be split out catch a lot of balls. If Dickerson does block then it will be OLB. Chan has said that Dickerson will not line up as TE but behind the line.

C Mac will get down the field with a head of speed and kill the returner or eat blocks on the returns, no chance Dickerson does that.

lee smith is more than capable of doing this, and dickerson has a aaron hernandez skill set. you cant pass that up...

I love that people are worried about a FB and a 3rd TE. How about the fact our first TE can't block nor stretch the field. And a lot of good is does to have a blocking FB when your center is coming off an ACL tear.

In all seriousness I agree with the poster that said to just put an extra lineman in the backfield on obvious short yardage plays. Anyone remember how horrible we were on short yardage last year? Even if CM was blocking it wasn't working. This team does not need a FB. I would rather have an extra lineman, extra WR, or a third kicker.

There's no reason that we can't keep them both. Teams typically carry 3 TE's and a FB. So McIntyre is your FB and and Dickerson takes the place of that last TE who is rarely utilized anyways. So now you keep your battering ram and special teams ace while simultaneously adding a new dimension and getting better use out of a depth spot.

C mac, love the guy. we were all pass pass last year. this year we will incorporate more running having both spiller and fred who can shift/split, motion or damn near anything for us. lots of options. I watched Corey and he did lead block very well. did exactlt what was asked of him. I chuckled a couple times how he blew up some space in fine fullback fashion.

I am biased, but dont sell Dickersons blocking skills short. He looks like he should be on the team to me. But lets bring him in as tight end behind Smith. Then we have TE packages covered: Tall, gets open, great hands (SC). nasty blocker without fear (LS) and fast and flexible (DD). and we keep Corey so he can get his first TD carry!

Corey Mac is a semi-valuable cog on this team and I doubt he is going anywhere. Excellent ST and lead blocker. Dickerson is an interesting case and I think he makes the team, but as a 3rd TE rather than at CMac's expense. The Lee Smith idea as a FB though has some merit, if only considering the fact that the amount of plays where we use a true FB is extremely limited, and he would easily be a better option as a receiver than Corey. But it also removes him from being the blocking TE on those plays instead of Chandler, or the chance to be using two TEs. We could also use Hairston, or whomever is the swing tackle as a 2nd TE in jumbo packages.

If I had to bet, both Dickerson and CMac make the final roster. It could also hinge on a guy like Ruvel Martin. They love him on ST but he is a crappy WR. If you keep him, the need for McIntyre is a little reduced. And if you keep the extra kicker the need for a Martin or McIntyre is reduced.

This is going to be a fun pre-season, Gailey and Nix have a LOT of tough decisions to make on the final roster. I really think, however, that gailey loves the options that Dickerson gives him. They specifically went looking for an H-Back type. He's got great speed and hands. He's just 6'1" and not big enough to be a real TE. If he can block at all I think he makes it, and he says he's very willing to do it.

Kelly, i just watched his little interview recently and he made a point about being focused on blocking. I believe him. And He has Metz on his side i think.

He will add another wrinkle to crazy ole Chan's offense.

Since we have so many tough young guys here who we must keep (drafted) I think alot of these kids will show up big on special teams and someone like Ruvell will be let go.

As they say, roster cuts are going to be tough this year and thats a good problem to have!

I am fine with the fullback having no stats. The FB is there to open up the run.

Bills running game was good last year even after injuries. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'd worry more about qb than fb...

+1

Sam Gash didn't have much in the way of stats, either. I don't think anyone in the NFL would say that he wasn't a hell of an asset when used in the right system. But then again, FBs have gone the way of the dodo as spreads and 5-wide have become more the norm.

Bear in mind BillinNYC's post on how Buddy Nix has been building this team and what it means WRT CoreyMac. Bill was arguing that we may be seeing less of the spread and more of a run offense, balance-wise, especially toward the later season (where IIRC, three out of the last four games this year are at the Ralph). If this is Channix's vision --- and I'm not saying it is b/c, as for myself, I don't believe Chan is going to veer much from the type of offense he ran last year where he had them throwing much too much --- it bodes better for CM. We'll have to see.

That to me is a real problem. Granted,Corey is a pretty good blocker but it's also been pretty obvious if he is in there it is to block.That takes away any element of surprise. Why not just use an extra OL in the backfield for short yardage then?

Exactly.

The FB is a dying position in the NFL.

So was the 4-3. So was the zone blitz.

Heck the 4-4 was thought dead and now Rex is bringing it back.

Who though the 4-3 was dead? Maybe it was dead in Buffalo but not around the league.

The FB is really only useful in short yardage and goal line. If you factor in that the Bills are not going to go with power running personnel in many of these situations and are going to use the wildcat in others then it really doesn't leave many plays for the FB- maybe one or two a game. Finally, if you want to leave your QB in there with your big personnel in short yardage, then isn't it a better idea to play a guard back there as the extra blocker as the poster I responded to indicated? CMac never gets the ball anyway.

1339174069[/url]' post='2483091']

I am fine with the fullback having no stats. The FB is there to open up the run.

Bills running game was good last year even after injuries. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'd worry more about qb than fb...

This. He's a very good run and pass blocker. He's a stud on special teams and an all around good teammate. I hope we can keep him and Dickerson, although it looks as if the talent on our roster will make that impossible. It'll be interesting to see what direction Chan turns. If the choice is Dickerson, I hope we use him.