Great country songs

Buftex

I am not even asking for your all-time favorite country song...just great songs...this was inspired by LABillz and j.Wawrrows mention of Townes Van Zandt's "Pancho and Lefty" in another thread...of course, Wawrrow was right...this deserves its' own thread.

I'll start: Dick Curless "Chick Inspector"...just a cool, honky-tonk song, with a little ****-kicking trucker thrown in, and a little country dirty...I loved this song so much, I could only ever find it on a 5 CD import box set (Bear Family) so I plunked down almost a $100...one of the best $100 I ever spent...Dick Curless is terrific. Don't let the eye-patch fool you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vtXt7ofXI

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I allowed to say how much I hate Jimmy Buffett?

Sure. I used to love those songs, but now I'm just "meh". He's playing here in Charlotte tomorrow and I have no desire to go. I've been to 6 or so JB shows and I know what to expect. In fact, if you offered me a choice between that and Aziz Ansari who is also here tomorrow, I'd probably choose comedy.

Speaking of guys that don't like Jimmy Buffett, haven't we established that David Allen Coe sang Steve Goodman's "

" as the greatest Country-Western (We got both kinds!) song of all time?

I hear there was a crazy scene at a C-W show in Buffalo last night? Some guy named "Church"? Any truth to that?

The Mt Rushmore of country music.

Whiskey Lullaby, by Allison Krauss

Shelley West and David Frizzel - you're the reason ...god, that whole medley in the background will break you down and haunt you.

Edited by jboyst62

The possum...the standard.

Are you looking for songs from a particular era or just great country songs from all eras?

No, no particular era...I like all kinds of music. But, I have noticed, whenever there is a music thread, people always go out of their way to make sure everyone knows they hate country and rap. Rap is not my thing, for the most part, but, for me, nothing beats a great country song. I realize, there are a ton of bad ones out there (see the Toby Keith thread), but some of them are just poetry. Most of the great rock-n'roll that we all love has its' roots in country and blues. I was just kind of hoping to have my eyes opened up to a new song, or a new artist.

I'll be posting in this thread often. We'll start with some of the greatest songs of the early 90s era:

Doug Stone - Everything this guy did was great but to name a few: Different Light, Why Didn't I Think of That, Faith in Me.

Mark Chestnut - I Just Wanted You to Know

Garth Brooks - Shameless. I'm not a big fan of Garth, but this song, written by Billy Joel, is his best and the steel guitar tickles the soul.

Shenandoah - Two Dozen Roses; Somewhere in the Vicinity of the Heart ( w/ Alison Krauss)

Wynona Judd - Tell Me Why, To Be Loved by You, ...

Sammy Kershaw - I Can't Reach Her Anymore

Joe Diffie - John Deere Green

Kathy Mattea - 455 Rocket, 18 Wheels & a Dozen Roses

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Fishin in the Dark.

Diamond Rio - Meet in the Middle

Lari White - That's How You Know