46% of Americans believe in creation

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this really depress anybody else, or am I overreacting?

It's amazingly sad. We're a nation that built the iPad and yet people ignore hard scientific fact to take literally what are essentially parables.

PTR

Does this really depress anybody else, or am I overreacting?

Its maddening. Like really? We put men on the moon, have devices that connect to satellites and move us from street to street with a few inches, watch anything at any time, but it all happened with a poof at the beginning of time 6000 years ago

It's amazingly sad. We're a nation that built the iPad and yet people ignore hard scientific fact to take literally what are essentially parables.

PTR

I'm a firm believer in evolution, but only within species. I don't feel that evolution is an explanation for how we came to be, however.

Here's my take on why many religious people have a hard time with evolution. One word: arrogance. Religion believes that man is one step away from God. We are so awesome that God stopped making anything else after he made us. Evolution suggests that maybe man is special but just a tiny part of an amazing and vast universe.

To me that's an even more amazing story than a old guy in flowing white robes creating everything just for us. But because some religious people can't fathom the concept, they feel compelled to "dumb down" God. God can't possibly use evolution, or the laws of physics and quantum mechanics, because they don't get it. That to me is the height of arrogance.

PTR

Here's my take on why many religious people have a hard time with evolution. One word: arrogance. Religion believes that man is one step away from God. We are so awesome that God stopped making anything else after he made us. Evolution suggests that maybe man is special but just a tiny part of an amazing and vast universe.

To me that's an even more amazing story than a old guy in flowing white robes creating everything just for us. But because some religious people can't fathom the concept, they feel compelled to "dumb down" God. God can't possibly use evolution, or the laws of physics and quantum mechanics, because they don't get it. That to me is the height of arrogance.

PTR

I tend to agree promo. I went to catholic high school, and catholic college for a few years and for the most part the message is fine. I wear a cross every day to remind myself of the values i was raised with.

I don't go to church anymore tho. Too many times I've seen people take it too far and to quote you become "arrogant" and it becomes a weapon. I wasn't raised to believe that and I can't imagine that was the message.

We should all stop worrying about what others think...all that really matters is what you think...

This ^

If people want to believe that fine with me. They're not hurting me so what do I care.

I wish you lived in North Carolina. I am not religious, homosexual, a minority or a male nurse...but I still feel as if I am insulted. It is something that doesn't get to me very often but religion is in your face here. Our County building has "In God We Trust" on it!

We should all stop worrying about what others think...all that really matters is what you think...

Is't this the real problem? A million different people all with a million different answers that nobody cares about. From this springs a vapid culture mired in apathy.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I never understood why people hate on other people that believe in the Judeo-Christian story of creation. Why does it bother some people so much?

I'm a staunch believer in the Theory of Evolution and have been since I was a kid. I know Christians and Jews that believe in the Biblical Creation story. Oops, I'm sorry I forgot it's only cool to bash them if they're Christian so forget I mentioned the Jews. Anyways, I've discussed this several times with believers in Biblical Creation. They're not mouthbreathing hillbilly rednecks. They're normal people that understand the science behind it. I know a chick that believes in Creationism and has pointed out flaws in the theory of Evolution. Neither belief is 100% accurate

I try to keep an open mind about just about anything. I believe the climate is changing. I don't believe in Manbearpig's Powerpoint®. I believe you should have the right to smoke pot. I also believe drugs are bad, mmmkay. I believe you should have the right to shove a d*ck up your *ss. I also believe you should not simulate that act in front of a church.

I believe in the theory of Evolution. I also believe in God. They're not mutually exclusive.

My own personal theory is of Eric Cartman as God. And on the 7th day he said...

Screw You Guys, I'm Going Home

I wish you lived in North Carolina. I am not religious, homosexual, a minority or a male nurse...but I still feel as if I am insulted. It is something that doesn't get to me very often but religion is in your face here. Our County building has "In God We Trust" on it!

Wow... Just imagine what is like in the Iran's sister state (theocracy) Utah!

:P

I never understood why people hate on other people that believe in the Judeo-Christian story of creation. Why does it bother some people so much?

I'm a staunch believer in the Theory of Evolution and have been since I was a kid. I know Christians and Jews that believe in the Biblical Creation story. Oops, I'm sorry I forgot it's only cool to bash them if they're Christian so forget I mentioned the Jews. Anyways, I've discussed this several times with believers in Biblical Creation. They're not mouthbreathing hillbilly rednecks. They're normal people that understand the science behind it. I know a chick that believes in Creationism and has pointed out flaws in the theory of Evolution. Neither belief is 100% accurate

I try to keep an open mind about just about anything. I believe the climate is changing. I don't believe in Manbearpig's Powerpoint®. I believe you should have the right to smoke pot. I also believe drugs are bad, mmmkay. I believe you should have the right to shove a d*ck up your *ss. I also believe you should not simulate that act in front of a church.

I believe in the theory of Evolution. I also believe in God. They're not mutually exclusive.

My own personal theory is of Eric Cartman as God. And on the 7th day he said...

Screw You Guys, I'm Going Home

Sorry, pet peave: Anyway

:nana:

Pfft. Come to GA.

The religious kooks are rampant and are in a dire need of being thinned out.

Back in the early 90's Cobb County made sodomy illegal in attempt to ban homosexuality.

Cobb County Board of Education attempted to get evolution disclaimer stickers put into textbooks.

Some of the tards in the GA legislature wanted the phrase "In God We Trust" made part of the new license plate. It didn't pass but a resident can get a free sticker to put on their plate.

Don't even get me started on the 10 Commandments.

Don't you have some Oriential fish to catch?

LOL... :nana: Catch? Who says we gotta catch those slant eye fish... I thought they were our friend!

I got the power of Android and slide out keyboard at my finger tips! You are doomed...

Pfft. Come to GA.

The religious kooks are rampant and are in a dire need of being thinned out.

Back in the early 90's Cobb County made sodomy illegal in attempt to ban homosexuality.

Cobb County Board of Education attempted to get evolution disclaimer stickers put into textbooks.

Some of the tards in the GA legislature wanted the phrase "In God We Trust" made part of the new license plate. It didn't pass but a resident can get a free sticker to put on their plate.

Don't even get me started on the 10 Commandments.

Wow... Indiana is light years ahead... They have "In God We Trust" on their tags...